TSS 482 to Permanent residency

Wannabeoz

Hi all, I'm due to come out to Queensland later this year, but turn 43 in July. 

I'll be on a 4 year sponsored visa but wonder how soon I could apply for PR?  I'll be studying to cross-qualify and hope to complete it within 12 months. 

I know over 45 it becomes difficult so time is key, but don't want to come back! Once out there, I want to stay. 

Thanks in advance. 

2 hours ago, Wannabeoz said:

I'll be on a 4 year sponsored visa but wonder how soon I could apply for PR? 

Generally for an employer to sponsor you for PR on the TRT stream of the 186 permanent visa, you must have worked for them for 3 years.

2 hours ago, Wannabeoz said:

I know over 45 it becomes difficult so time is key,

Unless you are in one of a fairly small number of exemption categories, over 45 is a deal breaker.

I suggest you get some professional advice to understand what may, or may not, be possible (even if this is somewhat far into the future).

57 minutes ago, paulhand said:

Generally for an employer to sponsor you for PR on the TRT stream of the 186 permanent visa, you must have worked for them for 3 years.

Unless you are in one of a fairly small number of exemption categories, over 45 is a deal breaker.

I suggest you get some professional advice to understand what may, or may not, be possible (even if this is somewhat far into the future).

Hi Paul, thank you. I'd be paying for PR myself; how soon could I apply? 

If you meet. The qualifications for an independent visa you could apply now.  Otherwise can your employer offer PR straight away (again if you qualify and they are willing).

As Paul says getting independent advice could be key as you have no time to waste. There are a few visas you could look at but you may not qualify for all of them. Why not contact Paul who posted above he is a reputable agent after all!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Wannabeoz said:

I know over 45 it becomes difficult ....

No, it's worse than that.  Over 45 makes it impossible.  Book a meeting with a reputable migration agent now, because your window is closing very fast.  Paul Hand (who replied to your post) is one.  You could also try Go Matilda if you want to get a couple of quotes. 

If you currently qualify for PR, I'm pretty sure you could apply now.  It doesn't matter if you already have another visa in progress. However given you have no margin for error, I'd hire a professional agent to do it for you.  The process isn't difficult but it is complex.

If you don't currently qualify and you need to retrain or get new skills, you're probably too late. In most cases, you need both a qualification AND a minimum number of years' work experience, and (here's the killer), the experience must be gained AFTER you've gained the qualification.  Anything beforehand, even if closely related, doesn't count.

These are the kind of details an agent can give you an answer on.

15 minutes ago, Raul Senise said:

In most cases but not all. 

The subclass 186 has a number of different age exemptions. There are also age exemptions for subclass 186 visas under Labour Agreements. 

However, the number of exemptions is extremely small and only for specific occupations, right?.

Edited by Marisawright