InnerVoice

Retiring in Tasmania

2 hours ago, Toots said:

Another very pleasant place to visit any time of year is the little fishing town of Stanley.

I went up the Nut on the chairlift.  It felt so rickety, I walked back down!

• Haha 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband granted UK spouse visa, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

26 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I went up the Nut on the chairlift.  It felt so rickety, I walked back down!

My sister and I couldn't go on it when we went as it was too windy so we walked up and down.  Enjoyed it on other occasions also the chairlift at the Gorge Launceston.  Might go there again before my sister goes back home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toots said:

My sister and I couldn't go on it when we went as it was too windy so we walked up and down.  Enjoyed it on other occasions also the chairlift at the Gorge Launceston.  Might go there again before my sister goes back home.

I'm sure the chairlifts are properly maintained, but the seats are like a park bench hung on a hook. Nothing to rest your feet on and nothing to stop you sliding off (there's a metal bar to hang onto but you could easily slide off under it).  I'm not all that good with heights so I felt very insecure!  This isn't us in the photo, just a still from the Nut website.

301596910_476485087820551_6681784158096542014_n.jpg

• Like 2

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband granted UK spouse visa, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

19 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Ah, but you've also got to find time to visit Cataract Gorge while you're in Launnie and that could eat up a day.  

I enjoyed the Beaconsfield Mine.   I guess it wouldn't mean much if you don't remember the mine rescue in 2006.

Cataract Gorge definitely on the list. Yes, I remember the Beaconsfield Mine rescue. 2006 - wow, it only seems like yesterday!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Toots said:

Another very pleasant place to visit any time of year is the little fishing town of Stanley.  

That looks stunning. I definitely didn't go there the first time I visited Tassie or I'd have remembered 'The Nut'!

2 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

Cataract Gorge definitely on the list. Yes, I remember the Beaconsfield Mine rescue. 2006 - wow, it only seems like yesterday!

At the mine, they have interactive displays and a reconstruction of the space they were trapped in, which you can climb into.  Can't imagine how they did it.

• Like 3

I definitely think Launceston is a very much underrated town. Has almost everything you need in a city without the hustle and bustle of places like Melbourne & Sydney. If you like golf the course there is great!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ausvisamigration said:

I definitely think Launceston is a very much underrated town. Has almost everything you need in a city without the hustle and bustle of places like Melbourne & Sydney. If you like golf the course there is great!

We've only booked our first two nights' accommodation so far and that's in central Launceston, so we're looking forward to checking the place out and exploring a little. I think if we decided to move from Queensland to Tasmania we might find the Launceston climate a little more appealing, so it will be good to see it first, before being dazzled by Hobart.

• Like 1

On 24/01/2023 at 20:05, InnerVoice said:

We've only booked our first two nights' accommodation so far and that's in central Launceston, so we're looking forward to checking the place out and exploring a little. I think if we decided to move from Queensland to Tasmania we might find the Launceston climate a little more appealing, so it will be good to see it first, before being dazzled by Hobart.

https://www.launceston.tas.gov.au/News-Media/Launceston-tops-Aussie-Town-of-the-Year-Awards

• Thanks 1