Retiring in Tasmania

InnerVoice

26 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I went up the Nut on the chairlift.  It felt so rickety, I walked back down!

My sister and I couldn't go on it when we went as it was too windy so we walked up and down.  Enjoyed it on other occasions also the chairlift at the Gorge Launceston.  Might go there again before my sister goes back home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toots said:

My sister and I couldn't go on it when we went as it was too windy so we walked up and down.  Enjoyed it on other occasions also the chairlift at the Gorge Launceston.  Might go there again before my sister goes back home.

I'm sure the chairlifts are properly maintained, but the seats are like a park bench hung on a hook. Nothing to rest your feet on and nothing to stop you sliding off (there's a metal bar to hang onto but you could easily slide off under it).  I'm not all that good with heights so I felt very insecure!  This isn't us in the photo, just a still from the Nut website.

301596910_476485087820551_6681784158096542014_n.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Ah, but you've also got to find time to visit Cataract Gorge while you're in Launnie and that could eat up a day.  

I enjoyed the Beaconsfield Mine.   I guess it wouldn't mean much if you don't remember the mine rescue in 2006.

Cataract Gorge definitely on the list. Yes, I remember the Beaconsfield Mine rescue. 2006 - wow, it only seems like yesterday!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

Cataract Gorge definitely on the list. Yes, I remember the Beaconsfield Mine rescue. 2006 - wow, it only seems like yesterday!

At the mine, they have interactive displays and a reconstruction of the space they were trapped in, which you can climb into.  Can't imagine how they did it.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ausvisamigration said:

I definitely think Launceston is a very much underrated town. Has almost everything you need in a city without the hustle and bustle of places like Melbourne & Sydney. If you like golf the course there is great!

We've only booked our first two nights' accommodation so far and that's in central Launceston, so we're looking forward to checking the place out and exploring a little. I think if we decided to move from Queensland to Tasmania we might find the Launceston climate a little more appealing, so it will be good to see it first, before being dazzled by Hobart.

• Like 1

On 24/01/2023 at 20:05, InnerVoice said:

We've only booked our first two nights' accommodation so far and that's in central Launceston, so we're looking forward to checking the place out and exploring a little. I think if we decided to move from Queensland to Tasmania we might find the Launceston climate a little more appealing, so it will be good to see it first, before being dazzled by Hobart.

https://www.launceston.tas.gov.au/News-Media/Launceston-tops-Aussie-Town-of-the-Year-Awards

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/01/2023 at 12:42, Ausvisamigration said:

I definitely think Launceston is a very much underrated town. Has almost everything you need in a city without the hustle and bustle of places like Melbourne & Sydney. If you like golf the course there is great!

Another golf course which is popular is Barnbougle near the little seaside town of Bridport on the north east Tassie coast.

https://www.voyages.golf/tasmania/golf-course/barnbougle-the-dunes-golf-course/

• Like 1

Well we're back from Tassie!

Firstly, thanks to everyone for their insight into Tasmania as a possible retirement destination and also for the tips of interesting places to visit, which proved invaluable. We had a great trip and covered lots of ground, maybe a little too much in the time we had available, but then it was good to have the opportunity to consider places from the perspective of living there as well as being a tourist.

Two nights in Launceston, three in Hobart, then on to Port Arthur and up the East Coast as far as Swansea. We'd intended to head all the way up to St Helens but lost a day due to bad weather, so we spent our last two nights in Devonport instead, visiting Burnie, Wynyard and Stanley as a day trip. We managed to take in highlights such as the Cataract Gorge, Russell Falls, Bruny Island, Hastings Caves, Port Arthur, Wineglass Bay and The Nut, as well as many interesting diversions en route. Being 'fair weather walkers' we didn't quite get the window of opportunity we'd hoped for to climb Cradle Mountain, with the nicest day being the day we flew home. I was up for a very early morning start because our flight wasn't until 9pm, but my wife (sensibly) vetoed that idea!

We enjoyed lots of lovely little walks, managing to find a couple each day, which is what we'd really been missing. The weather of course was much cooler than in Cairns and akin to good British summer, although it hammered it down and dropped to a chilly 14C the evening we reached Port Arthur - a reminder that Tassie weather is never guaranteed, even in summer. That said, the coolness made our outdoor activities so much more pleasant. In the 23 years since my last visit I was surprised by how little Tasmania had changed, which I found rather endearing. I've always hated seeing traditional Queenslanders demolished, only to be replaced by a minimalist glass cube that some think so cool. There are lots of well-preserved old buildings across the island, which was lovely to see. We also found most Tasmanians open and friendly, which was another big plus. There really is a lot to love about the place.

On the downside we found the lack of infrastructure outside the major towns concerning, and the cost of living was notably higher than Cairns in regards to groceries and fuel. If you couldn't find a Woolies or Coles then you'd have to shop at an IGA, where the prices are eyewatering! We never saw an Aldi either, which was quite surprising. It made us wonder just how Tasmanians get by as the local economy doesn't seem as strong as on the mainland, judging by the overall level of affluence on display. The dryness of the landscape was something else we found off-putting, which we didn't expect given the cooler climate. In spite of the heat, it was rather nice to return to Cairns and see the lovely green landscape up here.

I don't think there's any way we could settle in rural Tasmania, and of the main centres we liked Launceston the most by far. Devonport was also nice, and Wynyard was lovely too, although we'd no doubt find the latter a bit too small in the long term. We spent a couple of hours mooching around Burnie, which was interesting but seemed rather deprived and reminded me of a depressed English seaside town. That didn't stop us having fish and chips on the promenade though! And all in all we felt a lot more comfortable on the north side of the island than the south side. Hobart has everything of course but it didn't impress me any more than on my first visit 23 years ago, although the extensive range of dining options were enjoyable. It looks so impressive from the top of Mount Wellington, but at ground level it feels chilly and uninviting - even when the sun is out. I'm probably about to be lynched by any Hobartians reading this, but to me, Hobart seems like a poor man's Auckland.

All in all we loved our Tasmanian experience, although the jury is out as to whether we could retire there. I think we'd need to rent down there for a year or so and experience all seasons before jumping in, and Launceston would definitely be our first choice. We would love to revisit the Apple Island for another holiday though - what a wonderful place it is.

We've decided that our next 'holiday recce' will be to central/northern NSW to check out Coffs Harbour.

@Toots @SusieOz

• Like 5

2 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

Firstly, thanks to everyone for their insight into Tasmania as a possible retirement destination and also for the tips of interesting places to visit, which proved invaluable. We had a great trip and covered lots of ground, maybe a little too much in the time we had available, but then it was good to have the opportunity to consider places from the perspective of living there as well as being a tourist.

Two nights in Launceston, three in Hobart, then on to Port Arthur and up the East Coast as far as Swansea. We'd intended to head all the way up to St Helens but lost a day due to bad weather, so we spent our last two nights in Devonport instead, visiting Burnie, Wynyard and Stanley as a day trip. We managed to take in highlights such as the Cataract Gorge, Russell Falls, Bruny Island, Hastings Caves, Port Arthur, Wineglass Bay and The Nut, as well as many interesting diversions en route. Being 'fair weather walkers' we didn't quite get the window of opportunity we'd hoped for to climb Cradle Mountain, with the nicest day being the day we flew home. I was up for a very early morning start because our flight wasn't until 9pm, but my wife (sensibly) vetoed that idea!

We enjoyed lots of lovely little walks, managing to find a couple each day, which is what we'd really been missing. The weather of course was much cooler than in Cairns and akin to good British summer, although it hammered it down and dropped to a chilly 14C the evening we reached Port Arthur - a reminder that Tassie weather is never guaranteed, even in summer. That said, the coolness made our outdoor activities so much more pleasant. In the 23 years since my last visit I was surprised by how little Tasmania had changed, which I found rather endearing. I've always hated seeing traditional Queenslanders demolished, only to be replaced by a minimalist glass cube that some think so cool. There are lots of well-preserved old buildings across the island, which was lovely to see. We also found most Tasmanians open and friendly, which was another big plus. There really is a lot to love about the place.

On the downside we found the lack of infrastructure outside the major towns concerning, and the cost of living was notably higher than Cairns in regards to groceries and fuel. If you couldn't find a Woolies or Coles then you'd have to shop at an IGA, where the prices are eyewatering! We never saw an Aldi either, which was quite surprising. It made us wonder just how Tasmanians get by as the local economy doesn't seem as strong as on the mainland, judging by the overall level of affluence on display. The dryness of the landscape was something else we found off-putting, which we didn't expect given the cooler climate. In spite of the heat, it was rather nice to return to Cairns and see the lovely green landscape up here.

I don't think there's any way we could settle in rural Tasmania, and of the main centres we liked Launceston the most by far. Devonport was also nice, and Wynyard was lovely too, although we'd no doubt find the latter a bit too small in the long term. We spent a couple of hours mooching around Burnie, which was interesting but seemed rather deprived and reminded me of a depressed English seaside town. That didn't stop us having fish and chips on the promenade though! And all in all we felt a lot more comfortable on the north side of the island than the south side. Hobart has everything of course but it didn't impress me any more than on my first visit 23 years ago, although the extensive range of dining options were enjoyable. It looks so impressive from the top of Mount Wellington, but at ground level it feels chilly and uninviting - even when the sun is out. I'm probably about to be lynched by any Hobartians reading this, but to me, Hobart seems like a poor man's Auckland.

All in all we loved our Tasmanian experience, although the jury is out as to whether we could retire there. I think we'd need to rent down there for a year or so and experience all seasons before jumping in, and Launceston would definitely be our first choice. We would love to revisit the Apple Island for another holiday though - what a wonderful place it is.

We've decided that our next 'holiday recce' will be to central/northern NSW to check out Coffs Harbour.

@Toots @SusieOz

Thank you for your Tassie holiday report @InnerVoice.  Yes you're right the landscape is looking a bit on the dry and shrivelled side.  Apart from the occasional overnight shower we hadn't had any rain for weeks.  Mind you I always think that trip down the Midland Highway from Launceston to Hobart always looks a bit bleak but there are some very nice small towns off the highway.  The cold wet day you mention when you were at Port Arthur was the same here.  Had to wear a jumper!

I wish. wish. wish. there was an Aldi here.  We have to rely on Coles/Woolworths and because there is no competition whatsoever (apart from IGA) their prices as far as I'm concerned are far too high.  

Burnie, at one time was a thriving, mainly working class town.  3,500 people lost their jobs when the pulp and paper mill closed at the end of the 90s.  It hasn't really recovered which is a shame.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Toots said:

Thank you for your Tassie holiday report @InnerVoice.  Yes you're right the landscape is looking a bit on the dry and shrivelled side.  Apart from the occasional overnight shower we hadn't had any rain for weeks.  Mind you I always think that trip down the Midland Highway from Launceston to Hobart always looks a bit bleak but there are some very nice small towns off the highway.  The cold wet day you mention when you were at Port Arthur was the same here.  Had to wear a jumper!

I wish. wish. wish. there was an Aldi here.  We have to rely on Coles/Woolworths and because there is no competition whatsoever (apart from IGA) their prices as far as I'm concerned are far too high.  

Burnie, at one time was a thriving, mainly working class town.  3,500 people lost their jobs when the pulp and paper mill closed at the end of the 90s.  It hasn't really recovered which is a shame.  

I couldn't believe that there wasn't an Aldi in Hobart or Launceston. I thought it was just northern Queensland that didn't have any! 😀

I forgot to mention that we stopped off for lunch at Ross on our way back to Devonport, which was just delightful and very reminiscent of England. Those phone boxes! 😍

20230205_152705.thumb.jpg.32ab891ced8027abf35520a20bc2668c.jpg

20230205_155107.thumb.jpg.49ea148d5b09834a8b578b9a44010817.jpg

20230205_154236.thumb.jpg.f9a45ddf517161eb04b34bc8980ddfd3.jpg

20230205_210218.thumb.jpg.a800288a9bb5e576a24448815438bded.jpg

• Like 1

@InnerVoice Just outside Ross is the Ross Female Factory which was originally built to house the convict chain gangs who built the bridge in your photo.  Later it was used for female convicts and their babies.  The buildings were converted from a chain gang station and extended to include a chapel, dining rooms, hospital, nursery, solitary cells, dormitories and an outer courtyard. The women were taught how to sew, clean, cook, launder and care for their children.   The site also served as a factory as well as a hiring depot, and overnight station for female convicts travelling between settlements.  Life was very harsh for all convicts in the mid 1800s

It closed in 1854.

Edited by Toots
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Toots said:

@InnerVoice Just outside Ross is the Ross Female Factory which was originally built to house the convict chain gangs who built the bridge in your photo.  Later it was used for female convicts and their babies.  The buildings were converted from a chain gang station and extended to include a chapel, dining rooms, hospital, nursery, solitary cells, dormitories and an outer courtyard. The women were taught how to sew, clean, cook, launder and care for their children.   The site also served as a factory as well as a hiring depot, and overnight station for female convicts travelling between settlements.  Life was very harsh for all convicts in the mid 1800s

It closed in 1854.

That's fascinating! I imagine that the experience of those travelling to Australia in the 1800s (whether convicts or by choice) would be equivalent to boarding a spaceship, and heading off to a distant galaxy, whilst knowing that it was likely to be a one-way ticket. I know many struggle with their sense of belonging here, as do I from time to time, but if there was no possibility of return to the motherland then we would likely embrace the opportunities here more fully. Women have proven they are able demonstrate more fortitude than men in these situations.

• Like 1

On 17/02/2023 at 09:14, InnerVoice said:

@Toots @SusieOz

Interesting observations and conclusions above. I suspect a similar conclusion to what I would have arrived at in your situation. You're the second in a month now, other a couple we know that did not find Hobart anything special.  The two couples we know that visited Tasmania over the past six months, both came away with the opinion it was expensive. 

I would be most interested to read your opinion of Coffs Harbour, if you visit there. I know someone whose parents retired there several years back and have been looking to find another place to live as find Coffs Harbour over run with drugs. Hardly unique in that, but a point perhaps to keep in mind. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Interesting observations and conclusions above. I suspect a similar conclusion to what I would have arrived at in your situation. You're the second in a month now, other a couple we know that did not find Hobart anything special.  The two couples we know that visited Tasmania over the past six months, both came away with the opinion it was expensive. 

I would be most interested to read your opinion of Coffs Harbour, if you visit there. I know someone whose parents retired there several years back and have been looking to find another place to live as find Coffs Harbour over run with drugs. Hardly unique in that, but a point perhaps to keep in mind. 

Putting it into perspective, as I don't wish to come across as too dismissive of Hobart, it has a lot more of cultural interest than anywhere else on the island. We're not really the kind who go to art galleries, museum or the theatre very often, so it didn't have quite the same allure to me as to those more erudite. The other factor is with our budget of just over half a million so we could remain mortgage-free, as we'd be pretty limited with what we could buy in/around Hobart. We did check out the suburb of Kingston as someone suggested, but we found it pretty non-descript and it seemed to have a rough element. Whereas in and around Launceston you can find some lovely houses for that kind of money. On a positive note, we loved the Botanical Gardens in Hobart, the choice of quick eats and cafes, and were impressed by the size of the hospital. Definitely the best place on the island should you fall ill!

Things always seem expensive when you're on holiday because you tend to eat on the fly, as well as making more frequent visits to cafes and restaurants - it is a holiday, after all. We found Coles and Woolies pretty much on a par with Cairns in terms of prices, so as long as you lived near one of them, grocery shopping shouldn't be too expensive. It was interesting to see how lovely and fresh the apples were, while the mangoes looked a bit sad - the exact opposite to here in Cairns 😀

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

Putting it into perspective, as I don't wish to come across as too dismissive of Hobart, it has a lot more of cultural interest than anywhere else on the island. We're not really the kind who go to art galleries, museum or the theatre very often, so it didn't have quite the same allure to me as to those more erudite.

Spot on.  I am into the Arts and my oh loves galleries and  museums, so Hobart would be the only place in Tassie for us.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

On 17/02/2023 at 12:14, InnerVoice said:

@Toots @SusieOz

@InnerVoice I wonder what you thought of the east coast.  You made it to Swansea on your exploration.  I much prefer the west coast.  The east coast has lovely beaches but is so dry and brown (during summer) compared to the west coast.  I have a friend in St Helens (east coast) so go there to visit and enjoy the town and surrounding area but I couldn't live there.  The west coast appeals more to me because of the wilderness, forests and lakes.  I also find the small towns more interesting.  Yes, it rains more there but that doesn't matter to me.

We were in Launceston yesterday for a bit of shopping and it was much hotter there than breezy Devonport.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toots said:

@InnerVoice I wonder what you thought of the east coast.  You made it to Swansea on your exploration.  I much prefer the west coast.  The east coast has lovely beaches but is so dry and brown (during summer) compared to the west coast.  I have a friend in St Helens (east coast) so go there to visit and enjoy the town and surrounding area but I couldn't live there.  The west coast appeals more to me because of the wilderness, forests and lakes.  I also find the small towns more interesting.  Yes, it rains more there but that doesn't matter to me.

We were in Launceston yesterday for a bit of shopping and it was much hotter there than breezy Devonport.

@Toots I thought the east coast was beautiful in places, but couldn't imagine living there as the towns are so small and piddly - not much bigger than villages by English standards. Yes, it was very dry, although we thought the Port Arthur peninsula and Freycinet National Park were absolutely stunning. It would've been nice to have seen St Helens and the Bay of Fires too, but that'll have to wait until next time.

On my first trip to Tassie I visited Strahan and Queenstown, both of which I recall were very pretty, but I couldn't imagine living in either for the aforementioned reasons. As far as I was aware, a lot of the west coast is inaccessible unless you have a 4WD. At least that's what the guy in the car hire office told us!😄

My wife works for Accor so we were able to stay at the Devonport Novotel for almost half price. Talk about 'location location', right next to the town centre and from our room we could watch the ferries and various boats cruise in and out the harbour, which was fascinating. The restaurant bar was bathed in sunshine in the evening so a perfect spot for a few drinks, although we didn't eat there - a bit over our budget!

• Like 2

On 17/02/2023 at 12:14, InnerVoice said:

The dryness of the landscape was something else we found off-putting, which we didn't expect given the cooler climate. In spite of the heat, it was rather nice to return to Cairns and see the lovely green landscape up here.

That's because you were touring in February which is traditionally the driest month.  In a "normal" year the countryside starts to dry out around Christmas, greens up again with autumn rain and stays that way until the end of Spring. The variety and rhythm in seasons is one of the things I love about living here. 

We never saw an Aldi either, which was quite surprising.

Aldi has never considered it economically viable to enter the Tasmanian market:  basically it has the population of Geelong but spread out across the whole island.   Prices for groceries/petrol have historically been higher here:  retailers always blame the cost of transport across Bass Strait.  That said, I always buy fresh fruit and vegetables at my local IGA where they are both cheaper and better quality than Coles/Woolies.  (Or at local markets of course).  

judging by the overall level of affluence on display.

Average incomes are the lowest of any state.  On the plus side material ostentation,  consumerism and "keeping up with the Jones's" is less important than places I've lived on the mainland.

but at ground level it feels chilly and uninviting

Goodness - those are the last words I would associate with the experience of living here  (well, apart from the wind blowing off the mountain snow in winter or even a stiff sea breeze in summer).   But I guess the experience of living within a community can be very different from the view from the outside.

As mentioned by Toots, Burnie was a company town, built around APPM's pulp and paper mill.  There has been little to replace it since the mill closed.   The countryside behind Burnie is stunning though.  

I had an aunt and uncle who lived in Coffs Harbour so visited quite frequently.  The weather is beautiful between May and October but surprisingly wet over summer - caused by the ranges to the west causing a sort of "rain bowl" - or so I was told.

Edited by Skani
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

. As far as I was aware, a lot of the west coast is inaccessible unless you have a 4WD. At least that's what the guy in the car hire office told us!😄

Well that's a load of b***s***!  😀   All the places most tourists would want to visit  are perfectly accessible to a regular car.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Skani said:

Well that's a load of b***s***!  😀   All the places most tourists would want to visit  are perfectly accessible to a regular car.  

The road map we had showed Strahan and Arthur River were the only places on the west coast you can reach by car. Unless you're referring to the west coast as a region, as opposed to places located actually 'on the west coast', which is how we interpreted.

41 minutes ago, Skani said:

Average incomes are the lowest of any state.  On the plus side material ostentation,  consumerism and "keeping up with the Jones's" is less important than places I've lived on the mainland.

We noticed there were fewer posers in Tasmania (a distinct absence of tattoos, personalized number plates, etc) but were surprised by just how poor some folks looked - and we're hardly rolling in it!