Retiring in Tasmania

InnerVoice

11 hours ago, Toots said:

Most of the posts here are about Hobart and its so called vibe or lack thereof, public transport around the city etc.  A heck of a lot of people don't come to Tasmania for the nightlife or city "culture".  Folk like me and my friends are here for the wildlife, the mountains and the wilderness.  Of course I live in a town for convenience but spend many days exploring the island.  Needless to say I have no interest in cities so the lack of whatever they have to offer doesn't interest me.  Yes, we do go to Launceston/Hobart now and again but that's about it.  We also fly up to Sydney and Melbourne now and again for a few days or a week.  We don't feel cut off from anything here.  

My elder son and his wife recently spent a few days in the South West National Park approx.100 kms from Hobart.  They climbed Federation Peak which at 1250m isn't as high as your Bartle Frere but a majestic place nevertheless.

Federation Peak

What a great photo - this is what we've been dreaming of! We're hoping to do the Cradle Mountain walk while we're over, although we know we'll be very lucky to get weather like that.

federation peak.jpg

6 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

What a great photo - this is what we've been dreaming of! We're hoping to do the Cradle Mountain walk while we're over, although we know we'll be very lucky to get weather like that.

Cradle Mountain is a great place for walking/hiking.  The weather should be good in Feb.  I have a snake phobia so I don't walk there during high summer.  I've been told there are lots of sightings of BIG snakes at that time of year.  Not trying to put you off though. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Toots said:

Cradle Mountain is a great place for walking/hiking.  The weather should be good in Feb.  I have a snake phobia so I don't walk there during high summer.  I've been told there are lots of sightings of BIG snakes at that time of year.  Not trying to put you off though. 

Oh dear. That doesn't put me off, but my wife has a morbid fear of snakes! We'll not leave too early, so hopefully other people will have disturbed them by then 😉

11 hours ago, ramot said:

I think it does make sense to consider what your needs might be, as you age, irrespective of where you settle.

When we retired 20 years ago, we were fit, ready to take on a new adventure, which in our case was to retire to live in Australia, with no immediate family here, we admit we didn’t even think about the long term of our decision. We bought a 2 storey house, never considered we might not be able to manage going upstairs to bed one day. The good news is that there are actually 2 downstairs bedrooms and a bathroom, but that was just good luck. When that  day comes, we will have to leave towels and bed linen  for any visitors  on the bottom step!!! 

So think about buying wisely if you hope to be able stay in your home as long as possible. Honestly Moving house, the older you get is very hard work, as we have seen many friends go through this recently, and it’s a fact of life that it’s reassuring to have good health facilities fairly close as you age. We luckily bought somewhere that we love, and have great medical facilities locally, but that was sheer luck, as  like many people we didn’t really think it through.

I totally agree in terms of the property itself, although I wouldn't only consider buying a house in a flat location when I was 60 because I was concerned about whether or not I could walk to the shops when I was 80-85, unless my mobility was already an issue. That doesn't mean to say I'd buy a house on the side of Mt Everest, but I wouldn't be put off by the fact that the area was 'a bit hilly'.

We live in a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom property and we already find it too big for the two of us (something always needs fixing), so we'll definitely be downsizing to 2 or 3 bedrooms. Personally I'd be up for over-50s retirement living but my wife is a fair bit younger than me, and says she isn't quite ready for that yet!

19 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

Oh dear. That doesn't put me off, but my wife has a morbid fear of snakes! We'll not leave too early, so hopefully other people will have disturbed them by then 😉

Your wife may feel better after watching this.  Gives me the shudders.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

We're hoping to do the Cradle Mountain walk while we're over, 

By "the" Cradle Mountain walk do you mean the (6 day) one way Overland Track?  If so, that has a booking system and is fully booked through to 24th April: 

https://parks.tas.gov.au/explore-our-parks/cradle-mountain/overland-track

https://apps.customlinc.com.au/tasparksoverland/BookingProduct/Availability/?Category=OVERLAND

However there are several shorter iconic walks at the Cradle Mtn. (northern) end: 

https://parks.tas.gov.au/explore-our-parks/cradle-mountain

as well, of course,  as walks at the Lake St. Clair (southern) end.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skani said:

By "the" Cradle Mountain walk do you mean the (6 day) one way Overland Track?  If so, that has a booking system and is fully booked through to 24th April: 

https://parks.tas.gov.au/explore-our-parks/cradle-mountain/overland-track

https://apps.customlinc.com.au/tasparksoverland/BookingProduct/Availability/?Category=OVERLAND

However there are several shorter iconic walks at the Cradle Mtn. (northern) end: 

https://parks.tas.gov.au/explore-our-parks/cradle-mountain

as well, of course,  as walks at the Lake St. Clair (southern) end.

That sounds a bit too hardcore for us! We're just going to have a go at the one-day circuit from Dove Lake Car Park...

https://www.trailhiking.com.au/hikes/cradle-mountain-summit/#:~:text=Cradle Mountain Summit is a,Grade%3A 4

• Like 2

On 20/01/2023 at 11:13, InnerVoice said:

If you find the position of people's curtains or the contents of their washing lines sufficiently engaging, I imagine you'll find plenty in Hobart to maintain your curiosity!

Perhaps take a visit there and experience it first-hand - that's what we intend to do.

To the nah sayers on this forum , broaden ones criteria in seeking out suitable property to either rent or purchase is essential. If you lived next door to a clandestine meth lab, that went feral and resulted in extreme anti-social behavior , then uncovering a lot of other things, then you too may be a little less sarcastic in checking out to the best of ability the neighbourhood. 

As I mentioned public transport would be essential and not overly hilly another requirement.  While I accept these are in no way  on everybody's  tick box list they are certainly on mine. Especially in the age. While I'm sure the vista in Hobart is most attractive, just whether the vibe exits to maintain 'curiosity' as you put it, would be enough to satisfy my stimulation preferences. Again only me and others will without doubt applaud the 'serenity' likely on offer in that town.  

I suspect the countryside has attractions, but while most pleasant to take a holiday, living of course is quite different. 

Edited by Blue Flu

1 hour ago, Blue Flu said:

To the nah sayers on this forum , broaden ones criteria in seeking out suitable property to either rent or purchase is essential. If you lived next door to a clandestine meth lab, that went feral and resulted in extreme anti-social behavior , then uncovering a lot of other things, then you too may be a little less sarcastic in checking out to the best of ability the neighbourhood. 

As I mentioned public transport would be essential and not overly hilly another requirement.  While I accept these are in no way  on everybody's  tick box list they are certainly on mine. Especially in the age. While I'm sure the vista in Hobart is most attractive, just whether the vibe exits to maintain 'curiosity' as you put it, would be enough to satisfy my stimulation preferences. Again only me and others will without doubt applaud the 'serenity' likely on offer in that town.  

I suspect the countryside has attractions, but while most pleasant to take a holiday, living of course is quite different. 

I'm not a regular visitor to this forum and when I post it's usually to ask the advice of the PIO community, who I've always found very helpful and knowledgeable. In this case it's about the suitability of Tasmania as a retirement destination, and recommendations for places to visit whilst on holiday. In no way do I wish to discourage people from commenting, but if someone has never visited Tasmania then it's unlikely they'll have much to contribute to this thread.

When moving to a new location there are lots of factors to consider; climate, cost of living, and proximity to amenities, to name just a few. Given that we live in Cairns, we also considered the possibility of natural disasters like flooding and cyclones when we bought our current home. In addition, we could have considered the possibility of war, earthquakes, or our neighbour turning out to be Walter White. Yes, they're all possibilities, but not ones worth losing too much sleep over. Based on your comments I gather you've had a negative experience at some point which I'm sorry to hear, but that doesn't give you the right to hijack other people's posts and make them all about this issue.

If Australia's suburban drug culture is a major concern for you, then you might consider writing a separate post on the matter.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Again only me and others will without doubt applaud the 'serenity' likely on offer in that town.  

Have you been there?   Obviously it does not have the buzz of Sydney or Melbourne, but (based on my impressions as a visitor not a resident), I'd say Hobart has more buzz than Perth.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

I'm not a regular visitor to this forum and when I post it's usually to ask the advice of the PIO community, who I've always found very helpful and knowledgeable. In this case it's about the suitability of Tasmania as a retirement destination, and recommendations for places to visit whilst on holiday. In no way do I wish to discourage people from commenting, but if someone has never visited Tasmania then it's unlikely they'll have much to contribute to this thread.

When moving to a new location there are lots of factors to consider; climate, cost of living, and proximity to amenities, to name just a few. Given that we live in Cairns, we also considered the possibility of natural disasters like flooding and cyclones when we bought our current home. In addition, we could have considered the possibility of war, earthquakes, or our neighbour turning out to be Walter White. Yes, they're all possibilities, but not ones worth losing too much sleep over. Based on your comments I gather you've had a negative experience at some point which I'm sorry to hear, but that doesn't give you the right to hijack other people's posts and make them all about this issue.

If Australia's suburban drug culture is a major concern for you, then you might consider writing a separate post on the matter.

It was yourself that brought up surveillance of a desired house day and night to ascertain noise levels and the like to which I agreed. I have done the same thing myself. But I added to that by stating I also check for methamphetamine manufacture, a very valid suggestion, considering the extent it is being conducted in Australia. And though worst, far from only Perth. Hence not hijacking any thread. Not sure why others do not share the escalation of this problem and all the negatives around the issue which are considerable. They may like to explain this? 

As such I would conduct the same surveillance regardless of city, state or town. It can be like living next to a bomb construction, but besides who, if not engaged in its manufacture wants to live in a street or locality where this is common?  It is not confined to suburb but very much equally inner city as well. Cairns it would be fair to assume has ample problems of this nature as well. 

I have moved many times and agree  with the points being made. Very important to check out structure and if buying in a flood inclined locality. Important to check out safety and house break in rates . I am not 

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Have you been there?   Obviously it does not have the buzz of Sydney or Melbourne, but (based on my impressions as a visitor not a resident), I'd say Hobart has more buzz than Perth.

Not sure about that, but I didn't move to Perth for the vibe initially. Hobart would not be rated highly as a replacement, but have looked at housing in Tasmania as I do many places . Hence nothing is completely ruled out as always some compromises are required in life. 

In no way do I wish to discourage people from commenting, but if someone has never visited Tasmania then it's unlikely they'll have much to contribute to this thread.

Yes, I love being lectured about the place I've lived, on and off, since 1954 - by someone who has never visited...even once.  😀  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We were planning to retire in Tasmania from Perth but on our last visit I really felt I wouldn’t enjoy the longer winters. We were there at the beginning of May and it was already dropping to 2 degrees in Launceston at night. We love the Huon valley and Hobart area so will continue to enjoy holidays there instead.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Skani said:

Yes, I love being lectured about the place I've lived, on and off, since 1954 - by someone who has never visited...even once.  😀  

Lectured? Really you are a scream. I doubt what I wrote really dissembled foundational knowledge of any sort which is usually what a lecture does. 

But if you did arrive at such a conclusion, I can only apologise that the language used was above the standard of the student and who in turn was not able to get full advantage of the lecture. 

My fault no doubt. Learning material should have been required that may have assisted in skills being developed that would have allowed  an understanding into what precisely was being referred to. Again one thousand apologies.  

We loved our visit to Tasmania, which was purely as a tourist. Recommend visiting 

The Wall in the Wilderness at Derwent Bridge and                                                        Legerwood  Carved Memorial Trees                  and                                                                     the Creepy Boardwalk through Dark Forest Cradle Mountain                                                as  well as all the other stunning and interesting places.                                       Enjoy your visit, take no notice of negative posters who haven’t been there, Tasmania might not be for everyone, but unless you visit somewhere you will never know if it’s where you want to live.

A810A025-1493-4CD0-84DD-F6FFA98401CA.jpeg

2FCA72C6-23AF-465E-B953-9F5799893522.jpeg

78DDCCD7-4239-4FA1-80EC-F6C12B44DDB9.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was watching "Back Roads" (ABC) earlier and it featured the far north west coast of Tassie.  I do love a day trip to that area but I couldn't live there.  It's right where it catches the full blast of the Roaring Forties.  The Cape Grim area is also fairly remote.  A family originally from Qld was interviewed.  They came on holiday a few years ago and never left.  They run boat trips along Arthur River.  Also a young couple have settled there.  She was from Finland and he was from Berlin.  They love the surfing lifestyle at Marrawah.

• Like 3

I was watching "Back Roads" (ABC) earlier and it featured the far north west coast of Tassie.  I do love a day trip to that area but I couldn't live there.  It's right where it catches the full blast of the Roaring Forties.  The Cape Grim area is also fairly remote.  A family originally from Qld was interviewed.  They came on holiday a few years ago and never left.  They run boat trips along Arthur River.  Also a young couple have settled there.  She was from Finland and he was from Berlin.  They love the surfing lifestyle at Marrawah.

Just googled 'Marrawah' and some nearby places to visit popped up, one of which was the Allandale Gardens. It appears to be permanently closed now, which is a shame as we do love looking around a nice garden - you know a proper one, with roses and stuff 😊

1 hour ago, InnerVoice said:

Just googled 'Marrawah' and some nearby places to visit popped up, one of which was the Allandale Gardens. It appears to be permanently closed now, which is a shame as we do love looking around a nice garden - you know a proper one, with roses and stuff 😊

There are some lovely rose gardens scattered around.  You could try this one.  Deloraine is a very nice little town to visit.  It's inland and not too far from Devonport.

https://www.homestolove.com.au/heritage-rose-garden-14015

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toots said:

There are some lovely rose gardens scattered around.  You could try this one.  Deloraine is a very nice little town to visit.  It's inland and not too far from Devonport.

https://www.homestolove.com.au/heritage-rose-garden-14015

Thank you - that looks like a nice place to visit on our first day, as we're spending the first two nights in Launceston.

31 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

Thank you - that looks like a nice place to visit on our first day, as we're spending the first two nights in Launceston.

Ah, but you've also got to find time to visit Cataract Gorge while you're in Launnie and that could eat up a day.  

I enjoyed the Beaconsfield Mine.   I guess it wouldn't mean much if you don't remember the mine rescue in 2006.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Ah, but you've also got to find time to visit Cataract Gorge while you're in Launnie and that could eat up a day.  

I enjoyed the Beaconsfield Mine.   I guess it wouldn't mean much if you don't remember the mine rescue in 2006.

I've got a tiny bit of gold dust from Beaconsfield Mine as a souvenir.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

It appears to be permanently closed now, which is a shame as we do love looking around a nice garden - you know a proper one, with roses and stuff 😊

While  on the north west coast visit the Emu Valley Rhododendron Garden just behind Burnie.  Although it won't be rhodo flowering season in February it is a beautiful garden in any season.  (Also a good chance of spotting a platypus).    https://www.emuvalleyrhodo.com/

Also worth visiting for roses is the Woolmers Estate at Longford (near Launceston), although again, won't be peak rose season in February:  https://www.woolmers.com.au/woolmers-estate-rose-garden/

I haven't seen it but I believe the garden at Home Hill in Devonport is also lovely:  https://www.nationaltrust.org.au/places/home-hill/

Edited by Skani
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1