Do I have any options?

Hi everyone,

Pretty sure I already know the answer to this for my situation at the moment but just thought it was worth asking in case I was missing something.

Basically my situation is I have recently completed masters in computer science from a UK university and have been working as a web developer since October last year. However I think I need 2 years experience to gain a skills assessment from the ACS in this role.

I also have a BA Honours in Business Management and 5 years experience contracting in financial services, however I was operating through an umbrella company during this time and would find it difficult to nominate a specific occupation due to the nature of the projects I was working on.

I am 31 now and not eligible for a working holiday visa under the current age restrictions in place, although I do know they are looking to increase the age to 35.

Would my best option to be to wait for the working holiday visa to increase its age restrictions for UK nationals and then apply and try and gain skilled work experience in Australia? Or does anyone know of any other potential pathways I would be eligible for?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks 👍

If you are serious about wanting to move to Australia, then it's high time you paid a registered migration agent to sit down with you and help you develop a clear strategy for achieving your goal. 

You don't have to engage them to do the whole visa application if you don't want to. Just ask them for a quote to analyse your situation and work out the best strategy.  Then you'll know where you're going and won't waste any more time.  Try Suncoast Migration or Go Matilda.

I don't think waiting for the WHV age to increase is a good idea.  It's only a vague promise right now and may never happen.  

The problem you will most likely run into is that even once you've done the 2 years to get an IT related skills assessment, because the IT career path is so popular it is extremely competitive and so you really should talk to an agent about methods to make yourself as attractive an applicant as you can

7 hours ago, Wannabe Aussie said:

I'll definitely look into hiring a migration agent. I just wasn't sure if there was any hope to be honest given the situation I find myself in.

Just ring those two up and ask for a quote.   Looking back at your history, I'd say getting advice is important.  You've already switched careers once.  You need to find out if your new career offers you a better pathway than the one you were on, before you go too much further.

THE A-UKFTA was passed in Australian parliament on 22 November 2022. So now it is just waiting for UK parliament ratification. Last year, the age limit of Dames and Italians was raised to 35 so I can't see the age limit increase for UK citizens not happen. My opinion is that this is imminent so will provide you with some options.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steve Elliott said:

THE A-UKFTA was passed in Australian parliament on 22 November 2022. So now it is just waiting for UK parliament ratification. Last year, the age limit of Dames and Italians was raised to 35 so I can't see the age limit increase for UK citizens not happen. My opinion is that this is imminent so will provide you with some options.

That's rather sexist and elitist raising the age for Dames but not Knights of the Realm! 😉

• Haha 1

On 17/01/2023 at 07:43, Steve Elliott said:

Dames? Let's hope blokes get some equality on changes as well.