Entering Australia on 651 E-Visa, then applying for citizenship by descent

jhog90

Hey folks 

My partner just got granted his 309/100 visa in an unexpectedly quick time and he’ll need to enter Australia by the end of December 2023. We’ve also just found out I’m pregnant and by the time baby is due there will not be enough time to apply for Australian citizenship by descent (from abroad), and then baby’s first Australian passport (again. Is it permissible for baby to enter on a British passport with the 651 e-visa and then apply for Australian citizenship by descent once in Australia? We applied for Australian citizenship by descent, and then an Australian passport for our first born from here in the uk. But we are concerned that for second born there won’t be enough time for both to come through. Thanks for any advice and happy new year everyone 

2 hours ago, jhog90 said:

Is it permissible for baby to enter on a British passport with the 651 e-visa and then apply for Australian citizenship by descent once in Australia?

Yes, but be aware of visa expiry dates … there’s no bridging visa with a citizenship application. 

You know that if your baby is on a visitor visa they will only be entitled to reciprocal medicare so you will need travel insurance for him/her and, as has been said, there is no bridging visa.  Alternatives - can you get yourselves to Australia before the baby arrives (then the baby will be an Australian citizen not by descent) or can your partner go ahead if your baby's documents havent come through and you and the baby follow on later or can your partner go for a quick  weekend away to Australia to validate the visa then come home - that would probably be the most sensible as then he will have a year to enter permanently and you'll all be less stressed in case something should go wrong.

Edited by Quoll

Thanks both for your replies. We’d love to make it back to Aus before baby arrives but due to everything we need to tie up here logistically it’s not really a possibility. It’d also mean travelling when heavily pregnant which I just don’t want to risk. Because of the visa coming through a lot quicker than we anticipated we aren’t financially in a position for my partner to go ahead of us, return to the uk, and then make our final move when baby’s citizenship has come through. 

Fingers and toes crossed that things will go smoothly with baby entering on a 651 visa, then immediately getting on baby’s citizenship by request application (I’m also paranoid that border staff will have an issue with all of us being either in aus passports or a residence visa). I’m so glad my partners visa came through quickly but it has thrown a bit of a spanner in the works. Thanks again so much for the time you’ve taken to reply…no words can describe how anxious visas and bureaucracy make me and you’ve both brought some relief with the info.  

2 hours ago, jhog90 said:

Thanks both for your replies. We’d love to make it back to Aus before baby arrives but due to everything we need to tie up here logistically it’s not really a possibility. It’d also mean travelling when heavily pregnant which I just don’t want to risk. Because of the visa coming through a lot quicker than we anticipated we aren’t financially in a position for my partner to go ahead of us, return to the uk, and then make our final move when baby’s citizenship has come through. 

Fingers and toes crossed that things will go smoothly with baby entering on a 651 visa, then immediately getting on baby’s citizenship by request application (I’m also paranoid that border staff will have an issue with all of us being either in aus passports or a residence visa). I’m so glad my partners visa came through quickly but it has thrown a bit of a spanner in the works. Thanks again so much for the time you’ve taken to reply…no words can describe how anxious visas and bureaucracy make me and you’ve both brought some relief with the info.  

Have you got your UK citizenship sorted?  You should do that before you leave, if you havent already

9 hours ago, jhog90 said:

I really wouldn’t worry about the “Border Security” aspects of this 😉