What did you do for Christmas?

pob

Christmas didn't feel the same this year.

The sun was out for a start, how wonderfull! Hawian shirts were worn instead of wooly jumpers.

We still ate turkey, but it didn't feel right, the paxo that we purchased especially for me, didn't agreee with me.

I'm thinking sticky rice and a baked fish with aromatics next year, a nice citrus salad too, Hawian shirts again, I seem to have become VERY attached to mine.😎

We had a few drinks in the house, but these is no pub near by. Beer and whisky didn't feel right in the heat either, but a glass of St Germain hit the spot nicely.

How do you guys celebrate? Do you keep the old traditions or have you started new ones?

55 minutes ago, pob said:

Sorry Parley I was asking about Christmas not my spelling.

You probably have found in life that some people do not spell as well as others. It's kind of rude to point that out

As long as you enjoyed Christmas that’s all that matters xM

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pob said:

Sorry Parley I was asking about Christmas not my spelling.

You probably have found in life that some people do not spell as well as others. It's kind of rude to point that out

No. It is very helpful to you as otherwise you will be oblivious and never improve.

But i suppose it depends on whether you care or not.

3 hours ago, Parley said:

No. It is very helpful to you as otherwise you will be oblivious and never improve.

But i suppose it depends on whether you care or not.

Between loved ones, or in a formal setting such as school or the workplace, it may well be delivered and received as supportive and useful feedback. But on a public forum among strangers it is perhaps more likely to come across as unnecessary criticism, rather than one filled with bonhomie, tbh. Tx

• Like 8

On 03/01/2023 at 01:22, pob said:

Christmas didn't feel the same this year.

The sun was out for a start, how wonderfull! Hawian shirts were worn instead of wooly jumpers.

We still ate turkey, but it didn't feel right, the paxo that we purchased especially for me, didn't agreee with me.

I'm thinking sticky rice and a baked fish with aromatics next year, a nice citrus salad too, Hawian shirts again, I seem to have become VERY attached to mine.😎

We had a few drinks in the house, but these is no pub near by. Beer and whisky didn't feel right in the heat either, but a glass of St Germain hit the spot nicely.

How do you guys celebrate? Do you keep the old traditions or have you started new ones?

Pob,  many recent migrants seem to struggle with their first Christmas in Australia as familiar lifelong traditions don't quite fit with the new environment. In time you will find new traditions, little things that are more geared to the new life you and your family share on the other side of the world. In the meantime you are creating memories that you will one day look back on and laugh at - you've made a start with turkey stuffing! Enjoy the journey. T x

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tea4too said:

Pob,  many recent migrants seem to struggle with their first Christmas in Australia as familiar lifelong traditions don't quite fit with the new environment. In time you will find new traditions...

I can't say that I have, and I know other migrants who have never adapted to an Australian Christmas -- though of course they make the best of it.  

Christmas and New Year, for me, are just an anticlimax -- even after 35 years here!   It's just something that's missing out of my life and always will be.  However, in the scheme of my year as a whole, it really doesn't matter, so I'm OK with that.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I can't say that I have, and I know other migrants who have never adapted to an Australian Christmas -- though of course they make the best of it.  

Christmas and New Year, for me, are just an anticlimax -- even after 35 years here!   It's just something that's missing out of my life and always will be.  However, in the scheme of my year as a whole, it really doesn't matter, so I'm OK with that.

What's to adapt? Sure we ate Christmas dinner out on the patio wearing shorts which obviously we wouldn't have done in the UK, but otherwise it's just the same. It's Christmas it's traditional. Since my wife is Orthodox 25th December is regarded as my Christmas so is English style. Christmas Day 6th January (or more accurately Christmas Eve on 5th January) is done her style.

Edited by Ken
  • Like 2

the first Christmas in 2012 was weird - 2 months after we’d arrived, living in Melb in a rental, far from family and friends, no furniture, odd seasons. I shed a few tears on Christmas Day. However we now smile at the memories of the strangeness of the first year and what we did, and have embraced and created our own “no  real set rules” Christmas which is very freeing. 

We mostly do something different every year - never bound by many rules. Obvs we put a lovely tree up , presents etc. There’s just the two of us usually so no pressure to prepare or expect a particular meal for guests - we did do a turkey breast last year alongside some lamb but it was the first time as we had guests, and actually we needn’t have bothered l. 

despite having a barbecue in our house,   we’ve never used it - at all - since we moved in  3 years ago!  In fact I think I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of barbecues I’ve done at home in the last 10 years 😂 

We make sure we use quality ingredients but aren’t fixed to any dish. we’ve had mousakka one year, had a beef pie one year, we’ve done lamb cutlets,  one year I roasted a picked pork,  another we had some salmon - and a couple of years whilst on road trips at Christmas we’ve had an esky full of cheese and cold cuts, tapas style stuff. 

this year we decided to have baked lamb chops and potatoes for Christmas lunch. Fabulous butcher in Prahran market.   For starters we did dips and crudities, including some nice smoked salmon,  fresh fruit for desert and a slice of Christmas cake. Some really good Aussie wine always features. 

I usually get a few treats like special uk cheeses or a pork pie 😂 or bottle of beer. 

we love just doing what we like, and love Christmas in Oz, it’s the start of the summer and usually go on a road trip just after Chrissy for a week or two. 

the only christmas cards we got were from estate agents who manage our rental properties. Seems most people have stopped sending them ( I do still send to friends and family even to uk every year and despite visiting family pretty much every year  I still don’t get any back!).  

went back to uk for a couple of christmases since I’ve lived here. Meh. It’s nice feeling pre Christmas there and the day itself,  but as soon as you get past the 26th what I’d forgotten is that everyone sinks into a boring winter depression, skint and watching the rain. Found other than enjoying seeing family I was  very glad to return to Australia and the summer. 

Edited by jimmyay1
  • Like 3

December 2010, the last time I spent Christmas in England. Looks lovely? It’s not for me anymore. It was Freezing cold, pavements were frozen and icy and dangerous. I was almost house bound for the whole visit as I had broken my arm and shoulder on the way to UK.

Ive lived in a hot country too long, to tolerate cold weather.

Here on the Sunshine Coast  we have  a lazy Christmas morning breakfast, lounge round the pool, and  or go for a beach walk. Still  cook the full traditional turkey roast to eat late afternoon. 

This year we were in Sydney with family, and even though I wasn’t overly keen, we went to Bondi Beach on Christmas morning. People were having so much fun there, enjoying the beach and the perfect weather, so who cares if there is a right or wrong way to spend Christmas, just celebrate it any way you want to.

821C7C9A-5A20-49A3-B386-905462A1D266.jpeg

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Quoll said:

It's ghastly, the noise has already started. Can't wait for the weekend to be over!

Fantastic trade show.  Pain management electronics, orthopaedic massage chairs, organic plant growing products from Holland (Canna) and more.