Parent visas - cost and options

lucyh88

Hello,

I am looking for some advice on how I could support my parents to move to Australia on a more permanent basis (which may include house purchase). They meet the key criteria for an aged parent visa to the best of my knowledge - I am from the UK but an Australian citizen, I am their only child, my mother is 68 and my father is 73, both in good health. 

My key questions are:

• With the contributory aged parent visas, what is the cost for both parents? I am struggling to interpret the Government fees table and footnotes, particularly what the cost for the second parent is, if any. Is there a bridging visa granted?
  • With the non-contributory aged parent visas with a 30+ year waiting time, is there a bridging visa? Not sure I understand the point of this visa with such a long wait.
  • What is the difference between applying onshore and offshore? Can you do either?
  • Is the 5 year temporary visa an option and can these be applied for multiple times? 

I’ve sent the above to migration lawyers but it will cost about $300 for advice so if anyone has any info they could help with on any of the above it would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to link to any relevant posts I may have missed too. 

Thanks 

12 hours ago, lucyh88 said:

I’ve sent the above to migration lawyers but it will cost about $300

Which is a pretty reasonable cost to get some expert advice on a visa process that may total to in excess of $100,000 for both your parents. Much of the information you requested is on the Home Affairs website. 

3 hours ago, paulhand said:

Which is a pretty reasonable cost to get some expert advice on a visa process that may total to in excess of $100,000 for both your parents. Much of the information you requested is on the Home Affairs website. 

If you can’t be helpful, please don’t bother reply. As I said in my post, I am struggling to understand the fees with the footnotes on the Government website. I am perfectly happy to pay for the advice, but thought I’d see if anyone here could share their knowledge before I do, at such an expensive time of year. Is this not the point of this website?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, lucyh88 said:

If you can’t be helpful, please don’t bother reply. As I said in my post, I am struggling to understand the fees with the footnotes on the Government website. I am perfectly happy to pay for the advice, but thought I’d see if anyone here could share their knowledge before I do, at such an expensive time of year. Is this not the point of this website?

I would advise against consulting a migration lawyer.  Find a migration agent instead, one that is MARA registered.

The main thing you should be aware of is that the waiting time, even for a contributory parent visa, is currently at least 10 years.

Both parents pay the full charge for the contributory aged parent visa, price as quoted by Paul above.   So the cost for your parents would be $95,910.  They will also at some point have to pay for medicals and police clearance certificates.  You may be getting mixed up over the part that mentions a much lower cost for additional people over 18 on the application. That refers to, for example if your parents had a 20 year old child that they wanted to included in their application.  As for the non contributory visa, you’re right in saying what is the point because very few parents would still be alive to ever get it.  That is the point in a way.  The parent can be in Australia on a bridging visa but at no cost to the government.  On a bridging visa they cannot claim any benefits or be a burden on the tax payer for anything.  That can cause lots of problems because if they needed care in their later years, which may include very expensive care home fees, they have to fund it themselves.  At no point on a bridging visa can they have access to funds.  If they’ve come from the UK then they have access to Medicare under the current agreement but that’s it.  If they want to buy a house they can but there is an extra charge (not sure how much but it’s significant) because they are seen as a foreign investor.  I personally believe such visas (elderly people sitting on bridging visas for years and years) are for the wealthy only.  If parents have a few million in the bank then they’re not likely to have much to worry about.  Just to mention the UK state pension amount is frozen from the day they arrive.  They still get it but it will never increase.  I think what I’ve said is correct but I’m no expert.  What Paul said above about what you’ve been quoted for expert advice being very reasonable, that’s true.  I think you misunderstood him.  He is a highly regarded migrant agent on this forum who has provided much help to many.  I believe the agents don’t provide guidance if someone has already got an agent.  You said you’ve emailed all your questions to an expert and have been quoted by them.  It’s reasonable to assume then you’ve chosen your expert.  I would suggest you follow Marisa’s advice.  Lawyers are not who you need.  A MARA registered agent is.  

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

f they’ve come from the UK then they have access to Medicare under the current agreement but that’s it.  If they want to buy a house they can but there is an extra charge (not sure how much but it’s significant) because they are seen as a foreign investor.

Just to add that the Medicare only covers essential care and nothing elective.

The foreign investment tax in South Australia (just an example to help the OP understand) is 7% plus around $5,000 application fee. This tax is in addition to other fees a local would pay such as stamp duty.

1 hour ago, JetBlast said:

I think that’s correct officially.  Many on here have said they know lots of people that have got everything done although I think that’s more to do with the system not really understanding how it all works.  Certainly the OP should be made aware that their parents may have to cover the cost of everything that isn’t an essential/emergency for the duration of being on a bridging visa. So when they need a new hip or knee for example, they will need deep pockets or good health insurance.  If they get away with not paying then lucky them on the day but yes, they should plan for costly medical bills.  As I said, in my opinion sitting for years in double figures on a bridging visa is only for the wealthy. 

• Like 1

On 24/12/2022 at 08:15, lucyh88 said:

I thought Paul's response was helpful. You seemed to think 300 was a large amount for the advice you were seeking, whereas the concensus seems to be it's right on par and probably a bargain compared with making a costly mistake 

• Like 2

Not so much just looking at the fees an agent can help you understand the various pathways available and help you to identify which suits your situation the best. $300 is cheap really since the whole application will cost well over $100k (for the contributory visa) plus a bond paid by your sponsor. Timelines are also variable and the gov website is less than transparent here. Applications made now would take 10 plus years before grant.

On 24/12/2022 at 08:13, Marisawright said:

I would advise against consulting a migration lawyer.  Find a migration agent instead, one that is MARA registered.

The main thing you should be aware of is that the waiting time, even for a contributory parent visa, is currently at least 10 years.

Thank you, much appreciated.

On 24/12/2022 at 21:03, Tulip1 said:

Both parents pay the full charge for the contributory aged parent visa, price as quoted by Paul above.   So the cost for your parents would be $95,910.  They will also at some point have to pay for medicals and police clearance certificates.  You may be getting mixed up over the part that mentions a much lower cost for additional people over 18 on the application. That refers to, for example if your parents had a 20 year old child that they wanted to included in their application.  As for the non contributory visa, you’re right in saying what is the point because very few parents would still be alive to ever get it.  That is the point in a way.  The parent can be in Australia on a bridging visa but at no cost to the government.  On a bridging visa they cannot claim any benefits or be a burden on the tax payer for anything.  That can cause lots of problems because if they needed care in their later years, which may include very expensive care home fees, they have to fund it themselves.  At no point on a bridging visa can they have access to funds.  If they’ve come from the UK then they have access to Medicare under the current agreement but that’s it.  If they want to buy a house they can but there is an extra charge (not sure how much but it’s significant) because they are seen as a foreign investor.  I personally believe such visas (elderly people sitting on bridging visas for years and years) are for the wealthy only.  If parents have a few million in the bank then they’re not likely to have much to worry about.  Just to mention the UK state pension amount is frozen from the day they arrive.  They still get it but it will never increase.  I think what I’ve said is correct but I’m no expert.  What Paul said above about what you’ve been quoted for expert advice being very reasonable, that’s true.  I think you misunderstood him.  He is a highly regarded migrant agent on this forum who has provided much help to many.  I believe the agents don’t provide guidance if someone has already got an agent.  You said you’ve emailed all your questions to an expert and have been quoted by them.  It’s reasonable to assume then you’ve chosen your expert.  I would suggest you follow Marisa’s advice.  Lawyers are not who you need.  A MARA registered agent is.  

Thanks for all this detail, this is really helpful and much appreciated. The lawyer was probably my incorrect terminology, but I will double check that. I was really just seeking initial information to see if it is even feasible for my parents, so whilst I have no issues with paying $300, if it isn’t feasible I’d rather not waste that money. When I thought it was $50k total and 5 or so years that seems reasonable… $100k and 10+ years, sadly not so much.

On 24/12/2022 at 22:49, JetBlast said:

The foreign investment tax in South Australia (just an example to help the OP understand) is 7% plus around $5,000 application fee. This tax is in addition to other fees a local would pay such as stamp duty.

Thanks for the example, that is helpful!

• Like 1

On 25/12/2022 at 11:37, Ausvisitor said:

I thought Paul's response was helpful. You seemed to think 300 was a large amount for the advice you were seeking, whereas the concensus seems to be it's right on par and probably a bargain compared with making a costly mistake 

It’s all about context isn’t it. When you’re fact finding to see if something is feasible or not, 300 may be a drop in the ocean if you can afford the $100k outlay. If you can’t and aren’t going to proceed, it isn’t really worth it if others are kind enough to share their knowledge, which I much appreciate 

21 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Not so much just looking at the fees an agent can help you understand the various pathways available and help you to identify which suits your situation the best. $300 is cheap really since the whole application will cost well over $100k (for the contributory visa) plus a bond paid by your sponsor. Timelines are also variable and the gov website is less than transparent here. Applications made now would take 10 plus years before grant.

As mentioned to others, I’m not bothered about the $300 fee if I’m actually proceeding. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem feasible sadly 

There are other possibilities other than the $100k plus visas.  There is a five year visa and an onshore visa depending on ages of parents and other things. That is what an agent could take you through. As you say though bringing parents over isn’t cheap or simple, even if you pass the balance of family test to start with.

Longer term visit visas are available, I do know some spend every Uk winter in Australia either in a granny flat or holiday home.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lucyh88 said:

As mentioned to others, I’m not bothered about the $300 fee if I’m actually proceeding. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem feasible sadly 

It is very difficult to bring parents to Australia and needs deep pockets.   As rammygirl says, there are other options, but they all end up costing a LOT of money.

The sad fact is that the Australian government doesn't want parents coming to Australia, because eventually they become a burden on the health system/aged care which costs the government millions.  That's why the fees are so high, but even then, they don't come close to covering the cost (they did some research a few years ago which found the fees would have to triple to cover it).  For that reason, it's very unlikely to get any easier in future, either. 

• Like 1

On 27/12/2022 at 05:53, lucyh88 said:

Thanks for the example, that is helpful!

You would have to pay FIRB $13200 just for permission to buy if you go for the non contributory visa with bridging visa plus the extra stamp duty.as would be classed as a temporary foreign resident. You don’t have to pay this if you are granted a contributory visa then purchase a home but yes it’s around   10 years and a lot of money on fees plus the Assurance of Support (.$14k for 2 people)  is about right waiting  for contributory grant. 

On 24/12/2022 at 22:03, Tulip1 said:

<snip>

The parent can be in Australia on a bridging visa but at no cost to the government.  On a bridging visa they cannot claim any benefits or be a burden on the tax payer for anything.  That can cause lots of problems because if they needed care in their later years, which may include very expensive care home fees, they have to fund it themselves.  

<snip>

I think you may find this is not in fact the case ... I've seen an authoritative comment on another forum to the effect that Government funded aged care support at home and in a care home is not restricted if you are lawfully in Australia.

Best regards.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

I think you may find this is not in fact the case ... I've seen an authoritative comment on another forum to the effect that Government funded aged care support at home and in a care home is not restricted if you are lawfully in Australia.

Best regards.

@Alan Collett I assume it’s still means tested though? If it’s available to people on 804 can it also be accessed on 143 even if person has not resided in Australia for 10 years - I’d assumed it came under the ban on claiming any benefits for 10 years after grant? 

Edited by LindaH27

45 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

@Alan Collett I assume it’s still means tested though? If it’s available to people on 804 can it also be accessed on 143 even if person has not resided in Australia for 10 years - I’d assumed it came under the ban on claiming any benefits for 10 years after grant? 

https://www.myagedcare.gov.au/assessment

Not sure it is - though I haven't drilled down into it in any detail.

Best regards.

8 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

Thank you Alan. From a brief reading it seems it’s all means tested. However I can’t see anything that says it’s visa dependent. It simply says eligibility is based on care needs.  It would be grossly unfair if living on a bridging visa for 804 means it can be accessed but not if on a paid for 143 grant for 10 years after ??