Where about's in Australia to move to..

Ollie2212

Hi guys, I and my partner are making the move to Australia next year. She is from Hobart so we will initially be moving in with her family there, but once my visa is sorted and working rights kick in, we would like to move to the mainland. 

We are both 25 and have worked in hospitality/retail our whole lives. While we are open to a change in career, we don't have experience or qualifications elsewhere, so this is something to bare in mind work-wise. 

We currently live in Manchester, and the main thing we are looking for in our new life is relatively simple. We want a chilled-out area, beaches, and good weather are a necessity. We'd like to spend our free time going to bars and restaurants, whilst also having the option to explore nature, be it mountains, forests, etc. 

We have been pretty set on the Gold Coast for a good while now, but I have also been looking into Cairns. It looks absolutely stunning, and as I said before, beautiful beaches, sunshine, and nature are so appealing. 

Obviously, when we make the initial move to the mainland, we will not be in a financial position to explore all of Australia, so we'd like to settle somewhere for a year or two. perhaps as we get towards our 30's, we would be open to moving somewhere more rural.

Looking at the minimum wage, it seems we would earn around $900 a week each before tax. We currently spend over 50% of our income on rent and are happy to do so, as a nice modern living space is very important to us. We are pretty set on Queensland, as it seems to offer the good weather and nature aspect we are looking for, while also having busy cities with bars and restaurants. At the minute, it seems like the Gold Coast is the ideal place to start our new adventure, but I am open to hearing other people's thoughts.

If anyone can make any recommendations on where would seem a good place for us to live, I'd love to hear the reasoning behind it. 

Thanks! 🙂

You'll be struggling to find a city as cool as Manchester in Australia. I mean in the sense of vibe, late night activity , with culture and close to many places of interest. Manchester was recently declared one of the world's top cities as well. 

Of the places you mentioned in Australia though, considering you are both twenty five, I'd go with the Cairns option. International. Loads of back packers, tourists , easy access to beaches (even if not the best in Australia) different vibe to most other places. Close to nature Job market wasn't good during the time I lived there (long time ago) but assume far better these days with less back packers . 

Rentals in Australia are diabolically difficult during these times. No idea where they think newly arrived migrants, supposedly entering in ever increasing number, will reside. 

Edited by Blue Flu

13 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

You'll be struggling to find a city as cool as Manchester in Australia. I mean in the sense of vibe, late night activity , with culture and close to many places of interest. Manchester was recently declared one of the world's top cities as well. 

Of the places you mentioned in Australia though, considering you are both twenty five, I'd go with the Cairns option. International. Loads of back packers, tourists , easy access to beaches (even if not the best in Australia) different vibe to most other places. Close to nature Job market wasn't good during the time I lived there (long time ago) but assume far better these days with less back packers . 

Rentals in Australia are diabolically difficult during these times. No idea where they think newly arrived migrants, supposedly entering in ever increasing number, will reside. 

Thanks for the reply! Honestly I hate Manchester. It’s dirty, grey, cold and full of dodgy people and drugs. I’ve lived here 9 years and well and truly had enough 😅 great for a weekend, horrible to live in. 

The rental market does seem difficult, the Gold Coast seems to offer the largest amount of properties on RealEstate.com but just not sure yet. Cairns also looks gorgeous but maybe too hot and a bit more isolated. 

thanks for the info, I’ll keep looking 🙂

out of curiosity, in what way is obtaining a rental more difficult in Australia as opposed to the UK. If places are up for rent online, and you can afford the rent/deposit + have a guarantor and job, what is to stop you taking it on?

• Haha 1

Many in line are already let. They go quick. Pictures are deceiving and can be decades old….always view in person. Rents become auctions for good properties as competition is fierce. Not a problem everywhere but………..

Gold coast sounds like a good spot to start though. Cairns is small for a city and the coastal are is very seasonal so hospitality staff often get laid off in the summer and casual workers abound in the winter (see comment above re backpackers).

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ollie2212 said:

Thanks for the reply! Honestly I hate Manchester. It’s dirty, grey, cold and full of dodgy people and drugs. I’ve lived here 9 years and well and truly had enough 😅 great for a weekend, horrible to live in. 

The rental market does seem difficult, the Gold Coast seems to offer the largest amount of properties on RealEstate.com but just not sure yet. Cairns also looks gorgeous but maybe too hot and a bit more isolated. 

thanks for the info, I’ll keep looking 🙂

out of curiosity, in what way is obtaining a rental more difficult in Australia as opposed to the UK. If places are up for rent online, and you can afford the rent/deposit + have a guarantor and job, what is to stop you taking it on?

I agree most places feel better in the warmth , even if that can deflect from certain realities not too dissimilar . One thing I didn't mention about Cairns, is the high crime rate. A lot of warmer places out here, I note, seem to have an ongoing crime problem , especially with youth and drugs. Where I think Manchester is more relaxed in being less controlled  (an episode of Shameless will confirm that) a better, later night time vibe and so on. Would I want to live there? No. Not my scene but try and look at a larger vista. I do know people that returned to Manchester after years in Perth and concluding it was soulless.  

The drug situation is massive in Australia, even if doesn't appear as 'open' as in UK. We are the largest recreational drug using country in the world and the impact is very clear on many levels. I live in Perth and we have a massive methamphetamine problem (biggest consumption in the world) ( being made by 'respectable ' that was valued at two billion dollars back in 2017. I would imagine double that now. It has become mainstream with loads making it at home without undue duress. (another story  around me) While especially big in WA  and SA , all of Australia is experiencing  All very sad. 

This can impact the rental market  as well, but won't go into that. Giving it further thought, Gold Coast may well be a better option to settle ahead of Cairns. Close to Brisbane, more work opportunity and most likely a better place to kick off your OZ adventure. I enjoyed my time in Cairns, but wasn't in a partnership at the time. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ollie2212 said:

Cairns is bloody hot in summer - and I hope you know that you can't swim in the sea there between November and May due to the stingers. 

I do think that Cairns would be too isolated as a starting point.   You may be on a tight budget to start with, but I'm sure you'll want to do some exploring and Cairns is a long way from anywhere else.

Look at the populations of the places you're thinking of.  Greater Manchester = nearly 3 million people.   Cairns = 150,000.  That's equivalent to Middlesborough.  If you moved to Middlesborough and didn't have the option to commute to any other city/town, what do you think your job prospects would be?   Cairns wouldn't be quite that bad because you have seasonal tourist traffic, but it is seasonal. 

The Gold Coast is half a million people plus seasonal tourists.  On the downside that makes it busier and more built-up, but on the upside, there's more work, and you can commute to Brisbane out of season.  If you want somewhere with a quieter vibe, then consider the Sunshine Coast 9350,000).  Much less glitzy with better beaches (IMO). Not commutable to Brisbane though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ollie2212 said:

Nothing to stop you taking it on, but the choice is not up to you, it's up to the landlord/agent. In Sydney, when you turn up to inspect a property, you'll find yourself in a line with 50 other people. You had better get your application in right then and there, or you'll miss out.  That doesn't mean it's as bad on the Gold Coast, though. Maybe someone else can comment.

That's assuming you even want it, of course.  The photos online are shamelessly photoshopped and the reality is often half the size you thought it was, or filthy, or otherwise unliveable.  You would be an absolute idiot to take on a rental based on the online photos because they are so misleading.  Mind you, the same has happened to me in the South of England.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

If you want somewhere with a quieter vibe, then consider the Sunshine Coast 9350,000).  Much less glitzy with better beaches (IMO). Not commutable to Brisbane though.

Hundreds commute daily to Brisbane from the Sunshine Coast, most accept it can take up to 90 mins depending from where on the Coast to where in Brisbane, and how early you leave, but the balance of living there out ways the length of the commute. 

Plenty of casual work around at the moment, but rentals in short supply.

Might even get a decent rail connection one day if you believe the Palaszczuk government.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Flu said:

I agree most places feel better in the warmth , even if that can deflect from certain realities not too dissimilar . One thing I didn't mention about Cairns, is the high crime rate. A lot of warmer places out here, I note, seem to have an ongoing crime problem , especially with youth and drugs. Where I think Manchester is more relaxed in being less controlled  (an episode of Shameless will confirm that) a better, later night time vibe and so on. Would I want to live there? No. Not my scene but try and look at a larger vista. I do know people that returned to Manchester after years in Perth and concluding it was soulless.  

The drug situation is massive in Australia, even if doesn't appear as 'open' as in UK. We are the largest recreational drug using country in the world and the impact is very clear on many levels. I live in Perth and we have a massive methamphetamine problem (biggest consumption in the world) ( being made by 'respectable ' that was valued at two billion dollars back in 2017. I would imagine double that now. It has become mainstream with loads making it at home without undue duress. (another story  around me) While especially big in WA  and SA , all of Australia is experiencing  All very sad. 

This can impact the rental market  as well, but won't go into that. Giving it further thought, Gold Coast may well be a better option to settle ahead of Cairns. Close to Brisbane, more work opportunity and most likely a better place to kick off your OZ adventure. I enjoyed my time in Cairns, but wasn't in a partnership at the time. 

Beg to once again  discover what Calgary finds amusing around the issue of drugs. While many are profiting handsomely from such illegal practices there are many in society paying a heavy price. That includes those enticed through what is thought of as easy money and reasonably risk free association in their contribution to making us the nation we find ourselves in. One thing it is not is amusing. 

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Nothing to stop you taking it on, but the choice is not up to you, it's up to the landlord/agent. In Sydney, when you turn up to inspect a property, you'll find yourself in a line with 50 other people. You had better get your application in right then and there, or you'll miss out.  That doesn't mean it's as bad on the Gold Coast, though. Maybe someone else can comment.

That's assuming you even want it, of course.  The photos online are shamelessly photoshopped and the reality is often half the size you thought it was, or filthy, or otherwise unliveable.  You would be an absolute idiot to take on a rental based on the online photos because they are so misleading.  Mind you, the same has happened to me in the South of England.  

Definitely in such times some landlords are getting away with the bare minimum. Simply because they can. Even here in Perth rentals are very competitive and know a big concern to many arriving from overseas. If not having connections of some sort, can only imagine how hard it must be.   

1 hour ago, Blue Flu said:

Beg to once again  discover what Calgary finds amusing around the issue of drugs. While many are profiting handsomely from such illegal practices there are many in society paying a heavy price. That includes those enticed through what is thought of as easy money and reasonably risk free association in their contribution to making us the nation we find ourselves in. One thing it is not is amusing. 

I suspect they are amused because you seem to bring every conversation back to drugs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The Gold Coast is bad. Long queues for any rental, but especially for anything big enough for a family. People camping out, living in cars, its not good at present. Saddest thing is, there is a huge camp at Pinkenba (east Brisbane) and another at Wellcamp (Toowoomba) built for covid quarantine and now sitting totally empty.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I suspect they are amused because you seem to bring every conversation back to drugs.

I might have expected you considering where you live would be more receptive to the issue of drugs and its impact on our society. There is nothing even slightly amusing living in a state where the meth trade rates in the billions of dollars in value nor the consequences such a black economy impacts on civil life . I do get many are more than a little happy  taking money for such parasite pursuits as their contribution towards society. As noted Mandurah is one of the worst locations in WA with regards to this issue. 

As for bringing it up in every conversation, which isn't true, but the magnitude of what is happening in both the city and state I was born , I have every right to express my disquiet at living in the world's number one methamphetamine and those partaking  all around me.  . A mite sad  incomers as yourself, find that too much , which makes one wonder why exactly those on here hold this state in so little regard nor have much concern for the future or the kids ever increasingly becoming accustomed to the apparent easy making drugs for profit and how that will impact a normal occupation future. 

6 hours ago, Nemesis said:

The Gold Coast is bad. Long queues for any rental, but especially for anything big enough for a family. People camping out, living in cars, its not good at present. Saddest thing is, there is a huge camp at Pinkenba (east Brisbane) and another at Wellcamp (Toowoomba) built for covid quarantine and now sitting totally empty.

Pretty much reflective of much of Australia in these times. I don't see much reflective thought from government on the matter. Only thing to date is increase migration intake regardless of falling living standards. 

I suppose using the camps mentioned would only underline that there is indeed a problem of some intensity. Too much not being held to scrutiny. It can't be long before tent cities become part of our landscape? 

9 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Anyone who goes back through your posts or has the pleasure of reading them and reads about your obsession with drugs (regardless of topic) will know exactly why i am laughing. 

Cal x

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ramot said:

Hundreds commute daily to Brisbane from the Sunshine Coast, most accept it can take up to 90 mins depending from where on the Coast to where in Brisbane, and how early you leave, but the balance of living there out ways the length of the commute. 

Plenty of casual work around at the moment, but rentals in short supply.

Might even get a decent rail connection one day if you believe the Palaszczuk government.

I agree with Ramot, Brisbane and Gold Coast go hand in hand. 

For a younger couple i think the Gold Coast would tick most of their boxes. You can be ''in the hustle and bustle'' as much as you want, there are so many living options. 

The rental issue seems to be affecting a lot of people at the minute across QLD, so definately try and befriend/ touch base with an agent prior to your arrival.

Cal x

Also you don’t have to go too far inland from the Gold Coast to find a much more country vibe.  A neighbour of ours moved inland from the GC and loves it. After living in the Adelaide Hills for decades he wasn’t sure but he says it has all the pros and none of the cons (mainly weather!)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, calNgary said:

Anyone who goes back through your posts or has the pleasure of reading them and reads about your obsession with drugs (regardless of topic) will know exactly why i am laughing. 

Cal x

This is getting away from the subject matter but as you have  again pointed to past postings, not connected with this thread I feel compelled to respond. There is little pleasure in my disclosure of the meth industry here in Merth. A grand title for Perth,  I'm sure you will agree termed by an acquittance of Irish back ground who is a full bottle on what's going down . Obviously a multibillion dollar industry(fact)  is not going to disappear. Whether the control can be maintained in the future has yet to be ascertained with the 'exotic' make up of those increasingly wielding influence  , well who knows? More to the point who cares? Quite simply, no one is paying me to monitor events , nor be a voice of the righteous on some moral crusade for decency . Colour me short changed in the intelligence department. 

Although I suppose if hadn't lived next door to a full on clandestine meth house for a year having to endure constant violence and on one occasion a potential home invasion  by occupants, or indeed a guy of 'exotic' appearance knock on my door and inform me, ever so politely that "I would not win" Or another neighbour informing me drugs are everywhere on the street  (or my partner almost being cleaned up by a woman high on something (we now believe to be meth going through a red light and swiping her car, a day prior to leaving for an extended overseas trip (which almost had to cancel) 

Just to note this is not confirmed to Perth. Just we cop it worse, but others, who perhaps do not want to be a part of such goings on, should be aware of the extent of the problem . Their choice if to be concerned at all. 

But no doubt you are correct.  I should simply begin to construct a house , get a dog, perhaps a Greyhound, which is very popular in my area, and state we are in the caring profession (to disguise days at home, I expect) If you can't beat them join them right? May as well rent out the bedrooms per day short term to young Uni students or mothers with kiddies or back packers  as part of a community service to assist those to 'get ahead'. 

I'll place a swing and trampoline outside to complete the effect . You are quite correct. Whatever was I thinking?  Time to do my bit and continue to ensure the economic feasibility of our state and nation. Thanks for pointing out my short sighted failings in the matter and shining a light on my obsessive mumblings. 

My understanding though more in line with the subject matter, is that Surfers and increasingly Gold Coast have increasing crime stats.  I have no personal experience of this but have heard a few firsthand accounts. Obviously the experience of a twenty five year old 

Edited by Blue Flu
  • Confused 1

As I have said before Blueflu, I think you are very unlucky to have been through what you have, and you have my sympathy, but suggesting one should choose not to live in Perth because of the drug problems is ridiculous.  Everywhere has drug problems, and that fact you are unlucky to have had them impact you personally is sad but shouldn't put someone off from moving to Perth over any other city.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

As I have said before Blueflu, I think you are very unlucky to have been through what you have, and you have my sympathy, but suggesting one should choose not to live in Perth because of the drug problems is ridiculous.  Everywhere has drug problems, and that fact you are unlucky to have had them impact you personally is sad but shouldn't put someone off from moving to Perth over any other city.

To be frank, not sure just why you appear to have the need to be so defensive around the issue of methamphetamine, especially living in an area that has the highest concentration in WA of this drug. But  I don't have much to say to you on the issue. I'm not suggesting obviously anything of the sort. Adults can make their own minds up but no harm in pointing out the extent of this evil drug has had on  many aspects of Perth. As I note it was to the value of Two Billion dollars back in 17. This must have doubled over preceding years as Merth (Perth) regained its title of number one meth city in world. There must be a price to pay down the line for what's going down. Everywhere does not have the problem Perth experiences by a long shot. The silence deafening .  

Edited by Blue Flu

43 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

To be frank, not sure just why you appear to have the need to be so defensive around the issue of methamphetamine, especially living in an area that has the highest concentration in WA of this drug. But  I don't have much to say to you on the issue. I'm not suggesting obviously anything of the sort. Adults can make their own minds up but no harm in pointing out the extent of this evil drug has had on  many aspects of Perth. As I note it was to the value of Two Billion dollars back in 17. This must have doubled over preceding years as Merth (Perth) regained its title of number one meth city in world. There must be a price to pay down the line for what's going down. Everywhere does not have the problem Perth experiences by a long shot. The silence deafening .  

Not defensive, just providing a bit of balance - in 14 months Meth has had precisely zero impact on my or my family's lives, or indeed on anyone I know.  Literally this is the only conversation I have had on the subject.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Not defensive, just providing a bit of balance - in 14 months Meth has had precisely zero impact on my or my family's lives, or indeed on anyone I know.  Literally this is the only conversation I have had on the subject.

You are quite lucky - let us hope it stays that way for you!  Here in Canberra Coke is the shiny bums opiate of choice and they are quite discreet about it but meeting someone very high on something the other mid afternoon (not just alcohol I think) at the bus stop in Canberra city (pants down around his knees, screaming every expletive known to man, throwing shopping trolleys into the road) was a bit of a shock for this little old granny.  My sister in law was not quite so lucky - she was driving around Ballarat when her car (with her in it) was totalled by a couple who were off their heads on ice - my brother in law wont drive at night at all now (his daughter is a paramedic, he's heard the tales I suspec, in addition to his wife being totalled).  Where my son lives, in Gippsland, cannabis is very popular but it, I thought, was known as the Ice capital of Australia, especially around the Sale, Warrnambool area.   If you have kids and can keep them away from it then you are doing very well I reckon!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Quoll said:

You are quite lucky - let us hope it stays that way for you!  Here in Canberra Coke is the shiny bums opiate of choice and they are quite discreet about it but meeting someone very high on something the other mid afternoon (not just alcohol I think) at the bus stop in Canberra city (pants down around his knees, screaming every expletive known to man, throwing shopping trolleys into the road) was a bit of a shock for this little old granny.  My sister in law was not quite so lucky - she was driving around Ballarat when her car (with her in it) was totalled by a couple who were off their heads on ice - my brother in law wont drive at night at all now (his daughter is a paramedic, he's heard the tales I suspec, in addition to his wife being totalled).  Where my son lives, in Gippsland, cannabis is very popular but it, I thought, was known as the Ice capital of Australia, especially around the Sale, Warrnambool area.   If you have kids and can keep them away from it then you are doing very well I reckon!

I don't doubt it, but as I said I think you could come across it almost anywhere.  I saw plenty of drug use in the UK and some of it leading to addiction and wider problems.

(I had to look up shiny bums!)