Having a wobble ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™

Cobs_Ahoy

13 hours ago, Constance said:

It would be interesting to know how you are finding cost of living in Oz, comparedย 

We have a ยฃ1000 per month mortgage and if we remortgaged now it would be ยฃ1700-2000 (which appears similar to Australia). We are also now ยฃ350 per month for gas and electricity, but our nursery fees are cheaper than Australia.ย 

ย 

We are in Adelaide Hills. ย All electric no gas. Annual bill less than $1000. Yes we have solarโ€ฆ.. an investment worth doing (pay back three years ) and even with lower feed in tariffs and price hikes still makes a huge difference. ยฃ350 a month is a lot, although I guess will reduce in the summer. Depending where you are heating or cooling year round here.

Good insulation helps and many houses here simply do not have it, single glazed and basic roof and wall insulation is the norm. Standards for new builds have improved and if you build yourself you can upgrade.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rammygirl said:

We are in Adelaide Hills. ย All electric no gas. Annual bill less than $1000. Yes we have solarโ€ฆ.. an investment worth doing (pay back three years ) and even with lower feed in tariffs and price hikes still makes a huge difference. ยฃ350 a month is a lot, although I guess will reduce in the summer. Depending where you are heating or cooling year round here.

Good insulation helps and many houses here simply do not have it, single glazed and basic roof and wall insulation is the norm. Standards for new builds have improved and if you build yourself you can upgrade.

We are south of Brisbane but like you only have electric and have solar panels too. The Solar works great and our electricย bills across the year areย just a tad higher than yours and would be around $1200 - $1400, so not bad at all saying that i have 4 decent sized fish tanks running and hubby always leaves lights and radio on in his workshop, lol

ย Cal x

• Like 2

On 02/01/2023 at 14:31, Bulya said:

Two week longย visits was enough for me. ย Had a great time but couldnโ€™t imagine being stuck there.ย 

Quite so. Interesting how 'attractive' Perth has become for Intrastate people. I have never seen so many Intrastate plates before. Especially Victorians. There obviously much be an attraction of 'some sort'. Now just what could that be? Hang on. Think I've got it.ย 

1 hour ago, Blue Flu said:

Quite so. Interesting how 'attractive' Perth has become for Intrastate people. I have never seen so many Intrastate plates before. Especially Victorians. There obviously much be an attraction of 'some sort'. Now just what could that be? Hang on. Think I've got it.ย 

That is a long drive toย pick up some merchandise.

1 hour ago, Blue Flu said:

Victorians are not "intrastate people" in Perth:ย  they are from interstate.

Strangely, my local area in Tasmania is also swarming with Victorian number plates.ย Let me think - would they all be swarming over on the ferry to pick up some illegal substances?ย  Or could it possibly have something to do with the strange coincidence that this is peak tourist season when all of the country isย  on school holidays and much of the employed population is on regular summer annual holidays?ย  ย And, in addition,ย the first time in a couple of years that people have been able to plan interstate holidays without the threat of border closures?ย 

The very same reason Victorians are touring other parts of the country, including Perth.ย ย ๐Ÿ™„

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Skani said:

Strangely, my local area in Tasmania is also swarming with Victorian number plates.ย Let me think - would they all be swarming over on the ferry to pick up some illegal substances?ย  Or could it possibly have something to do with the strange coincidence that this is peak tourist season when all of the country isย  on school holidays and much of the employed population is on regular summer annual holidays?ย  ย And, in addition,ย the first time in a couple of years that people have been able to plan interstate holidays without the threat of border closures?ย 

The very same reason Victorians are touring other parts of the country, including Perth.ย ย ๐Ÿ™„

Quite so.ย  The place is heaving with folk not only from VIC but alsoย WA (should I be looking at them with some suspicion?) NT, NSW, SA, QLD and ACT.ย  The roads are busy and the campsites are full.

Edited by Toots
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Skani said:

Some spotted ย here on the Sunshine Coast as well!!

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

A couple of big races. ย That was it! ย 

Yes, would definitely look at solar. They're common in Scotland too but much longer payback here as you'd expect - days like today, I have the house lights on after 9am as its so dull and dark!ย 

On 05/01/2023 at 17:03, Bulya said:

A couple of big races. ย That was it! ย 

A bit of a' rogue ' state to be sure. Rather amazing in some ways I think it could be said. More a question of lump it or leave it but don't go against the established 'norm.' , you'll gain nothing apart from going out on a limb. Horse racing. I believe it was The Perth Cup that was called off recently after a collision between horses, resulting in the putting down of one of the animals. Things are different Out West.ย 

On 05/01/2023 at 10:28, Skani said:

Cannot talk for Tasmania but you may recallย  Tas is but a hop and skipย  away from Vic on the ferry. Hardly surprising then that numbers would be high ,unlike theย  huge distance to reachย  Perth. These are not tourists. There were next to none remotely in such number pre pandemic, both buyers next to me have been from there , both displaying certain 'similarities'.'. But besides there areย  many Vic cars parked outside residential addresses in my area for long durations (as in living) Not only Vic, but they do stand out due to numbers. And yes some do switch over to WA plates when able.ย 

ย 

Indeed. Must be theย  WA vibe, welcoming people, blue skies, heaven akinย  beaches , glorious Indian Ocean sunsets, Hope I haven't left something out?ย 

Obviously furthers the states reputation that these incomers chose to pay us homage.ย 

On 03/01/2023 at 19:46, Constance said:

It would be interesting to know how you are finding cost of living in Oz, compared to here.ย 

Similarly to the OP we have young children so will need alot of paid childcare.ย 

We have gone from saving ยฃ500-1000ย  per month here to barely anything at all and we haven't been able to go abroad.ย 

We have a ยฃ1000 per month mortgage and if we remortgaged now it would be ยฃ1700-2000 (which appears similar to Australia). We are also now ยฃ350 per month for gas and electricity, but our nursery fees are cheaper than Australia.ย 

We are moving to Brisbane - Sydney and Melbourne were out of reach for us in terms of property prices (taking into account that we want reasonable commute, good school, family areas etc).ย 

I'd note cost of living not the only issue - healthcare system decline, constant strikes, weather, work opportunity.ย 

How much are you paying for childcare?

3 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

A bit of a' rogue ' state to be sure. Rather amazing in some ways I think it could be said. More a question of lump it or leave it but don't go against the established 'norm.' , you'll gain nothing apart from going out on a limb. Horse racing. I believe it was The Perth Cup that was called off recently after a collision between horses, resulting in the putting down of one of the animals. Things are different Out West.ย 

Motor racing. ย Still donโ€™t under why pomsย move thereย en masseย 

5 hours ago, Lavers said:

How much are you paying for childcare?

ยฃ50 per day here - we now also get 30 hours free nursery in Scotland from aged 3.

Those I've researched are much more than this and I believe Queensland is 15 hours childcare from aged 4, so quite a difference til they get to school.ย 

1 hour ago, Constance said:

ยฃ50 per day here - we now also get 30 hours free nursery in Scotland from aged 3.

Those I've researched are much more than this and I believe Queensland is 15 hours childcare from aged 4, so quite a difference til they get to school.ย 

https://www.careforkids.com.au/child-care-subsidy-calculator

Have a look at this and see if you can put your details in roughly.

we are just putting our 1yr old into kindy for 2 days a week, a normal day is 10hrs and the fees in South Aus are around $130 for that 10hr day.

Heavily subsidised over here and I think they are due to increase more in July.

You have your big day centresย which cater from birth then you have local day centres which only cater for the year before they are due to start reception. We used this for our middle daughter and I think it only cost us around $20-30 a day, that was without any subsidy.

Edited by Lavers

Oh that's really good to know and thanks for the links too.ย 

I was worried about the nursery age as I thought it was 3. She is in nursery now anyway but it really helps when the subsidy kicks in, plus we will be paying more days and after school club for my older son.ย 

Amazing if subsidy increases, it doubled in Scotland a few years ago and it's really helpful.ย 

On 12/01/2023 at 10:24, Bulya said:

Most likely aย lackย of researchย 

You guys are funny.ย  POMs move here mostly because they have family here, because the weather is good, or because buying a home is cheaper.ย  Are there nicer more interesting places?ย  Sure, but they are also more expensive.ย  There were nicer and more expensive places in the UK too, and most of the migrating POMS didn't live their either.

• Like 1