Student visa conversion to longer stay

benj1980

Hi all, I was speaking to a young lady Saturday night. Her plan is to complete her Law studies in WA including the LPC element, giving her license to practice and then apply for a visa that will allow her to stay potentially firstly on a bridging visa. Is this feasible? It's an expensive option in any case...

Yes, it's feasible.  If you complete a degree course in Australia on a student visa, you can then apply for a Graduate visa, which lets you stay for a couple of years to gain work experience, and then hopefully you can qualify for a skilled visa of some kind. 

As you say, it's a very expensive option because you're paying full international student fees.  Also, although you can work 20 hours a week in theory, it's not that easy to find employers who are willing to let you work hours to fit around your lectures, so many people find themselves working less hours than that (or doing bar/hospitality work at night).  

I wasn't aware of the graduate visa...

I'm friends with this young lady's sister, so she has living support near enough to university. I guess Mum and Dad will have to pay her fees! Many universities have cut their international fees at the moment calling them 'scholarships.' It's basically a discount until the market returns to pre covid levels I'd imagine so it is still excessively expensive but not as painful as previously.

• Like 1