Working holiday visa while other visa pending

DXW059

Hi,

I’m due to be moving to Perth early next year and have employment lined up. My employer is sponsoring myself and my de facto partner for a 407 training visa. Unfortunately the wait times for this particular visa mean my start date is likely to be delayed.

I am 30 years old. Is there anything that would stop me from applying for a WHV then applying for a 407 visa and commencing my job while on the WHV and awaiting the 407 grant? I understand the WHV has a no further stay condition - but if I apply for the 407 offshore before arriving would this be ok? 

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I’m not familiar with the 407 but sounds temporary. something to be aware of with WHV:  when you leave australia at the end of your 407, you need to request your superannuation back via a DASP form. When you do this the super gets taxed at 35-45%  

If you hold a WHV and at any point get paid into a super fund (ie have any kind of a job while on the WHV)  when you subsequently leave australia after your 407, your entire super will be taxed at 65% including what your earned while working for your employer in the 407. It’s a bloody scam

alsk note the WHV limits how long you can work for a single company.

DASP for working holiday visa

https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/super/in-detail/temporary-residents-and-super/super-information-for-temporary-residents-departing-australia/?anchor=DASPforWHMs

tax rates are here along with 
https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Super/In-detail/Temporary-residents-and-super/Super-information-for-temporary-residents-departing-Australia/?anchor=HowandwhenDASPispaid#HowandwhenDASPispaid

EDIT: of course if it all leads to a permanent residency then you don’t have to worry about is as your super will be locked in until retirement (but you avoid the tax). 

Edited by GeeBee