Teaching in NSW (sponsored 190) - WWCC/NESA Accreditation

Andrea-Familyof5

Morning all. So I’ve just posted on the teaching thread but hoped I might get more of a response if I start a new thread. 

We were granted our 190 NSW Sponsored visas on 4.11.22. We’ve sold our house now (no chain!) so can be heading out sooner rather than later (just waiting on the dogs’ health certificates to come back 😫).

With three kids, ideally I’d have a job to go straight into. This would also help with location - we don’t know anyone over there and haven’t ever visited (😱), so can live/work anywhere in NSW. A job ahead of leaving would give us a good idea of where to start looking for an Airbnb and then, later, a rental until we know where we’d like to live long term. 

Anyway, I think I’m getting a little confused with all the different processes that need to be completed before you can teach in NSW, and would really appreciate someone in the know checking over if I’ve got the following correct, and answering some of my questions. I’ve copied and pasted from the other thread:

——————————————————————————

I need 3 things - (1) a Working With Children Check (2) NESA accreditation (3) Approval to Teach. 

I need them in this order because Approval to Teach states ‘You must be accredited with NESA before submitting your application for approval to teach with DoE’, and NESA accreditation states that, in order to apply, ‘You’ll need to have a current NSW Working with Children Check (WWCC) clearance for paid employment issued by the NSW Office of the Children’s Guardian’

So WWCC is my first step. Is this all correct so far?? 

Starting my application for a NSW Working with Children Check is where the first hurdle comes as I need a residential address in Australia, and an Australian mobile number.

So my questions, really, are: can I go over before we leave as a family of 5 ‘officially’, staying in an Airbnb and use the Airbnb address as the residential address in Aus? I read an earlier post where the OP did just that, but don’t they send paperwork/info to that address, or is it literally just for the system? Do I need to get an Australian mobile number when there also? 

Lastly, how far along this process - WWCC, NESA accreditation, Approval to Teach - can be done whilst visiting, realistically? How long should I book to stay? Or, should I say, for how much of the process do I need to be in Aus? At what point do I verify identify at a service centre? 

Or am I just being stupid and should resign myself to not being able to get started on this process and thus secure a job (casual, relief) before we leave for good as a family?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions! ANY help/advice/words of wisdom MUCH appreciated! Xx

You're not likely to get a job before you arrive, it'd be cheaper to just resign yourself to doing the paperwork once you've landed and got an address of some description. Where will your OH be working? Maybe they're  more likely to get a permanent job than you are as a teacher. If you're aiming for NSW government schools it could be a very long time before you get a decent job but your chances are better if you're prepsred to go more rural - inland rather than coastal. If you are secondary maths or science you'll probably have more luck. You've just missed the staffing round for next year unfortunately. 

16 hours ago, Andrea-Familyof5 said:

So my questions, really, are: can I go over before we leave as a family of 5 ‘officially’, staying in an Airbnb and use the Airbnb address as the residential address in Aus? I read an earlier post where the OP did just that, but don’t they send paperwork/info to that address, or is it literally just for the system?

Contact the owner of the Airbnb and ask if you can use their address, and if they'll keep/send on any mail that arrives for you.  Some will be willing to do that as part of the service.

The other thing I'd suggest is to look at private ("independent") schools.  As Quoll says, it could take you a while to get a job in the state system because their wheels grind slowly.  As well as the 'posh' private schools, there are Catholic schools all over NSW which run parallel to the state system, and you don't have to be Catholic to teach in them. 

https://www.csnsw.catholic.edu.au/

https://www.aisnsw.edu.au/

Independent schools especialy are more flexible about their requirements than state schools.

Where are you headed in NSW?

Edited by Marisawright

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Contact the owner of the Airbnb and ask if you can use their address, and if they'll keep/send on any mail that arrives for you.  Some will be willing to do that as part of the service.

The other thing I'd suggest is to look at private ("independent") schools.  As Quoll says, it could take you a while to get a job in the state system because their wheels grind slowly.  As well as the 'posh' private schools, there are Catholic schools all over NSW which run parallel to the state system, and you don't have to be Catholic to teach in them. 

https://www.csnsw.catholic.edu.au/

https://www.aisnsw.edu.au/

Independent schools especialy are more flexible about their requirements than state schools.

Where are you headed in NSW?

Thank you so much for your reply.

I will definitely look into this.

RE: area; no idea! No family or friends in Aus, never been, just desperate for an adventure and to try something new! Could do with advice re places to avoid though, if you know the state? Next on my ‘to do’ list! Knowing my luck, I’ll land us in the most deprived, economically-challenged, crime-ridden area in the whole of Aus!! 

1 hour ago, Andrea-Familyof5 said:

RE: area; no idea! No family or friends in Aus, never been, just desperate for an adventure and to try something new! Could do with advice re places to avoid though, if you know the state? Next on my ‘to do’ list! Knowing my luck, I’ll land us in the most deprived, economically-challenged, crime-ridden area in the whole of Aus!! 

Just avoid Sydney. Like London, it’s a great place IF you can afford it but a real struggle on an average salary, especially with kids. Look at Newcastle 

• Like 1

On 22/11/2022 at 20:54, Andrea-Familyof5 said:

If you are offered a job with NSW EDUCATION, that's most likely. They expect people to do their time in hard to fill positions and you earn your brownie points towards more plum positions down the track.  What does your OH do? It might be better to focus on that as a career option in the first instance. Sadly, the competition for teaching positions is fierce in places that people actually want to live. Much easier to get a position in places which aren't as popular. A friend had to go out to Dubbo to get a contract - he did his 2 years but then decided to quit teaching and go back to Uni.  There's nothing stopping you moving out of teaching into something else, you'd have the skills which are transferable. 

I see you have a 16 year old so you're going to need stability for them to do years 11&12 (may be a bit older than the cohort but they will need to do both years from the get go, starting in January).  It might be useful to check out the schools which do well in HSC (and those which dont) because their education might be the most important factor in the first instance. There's a list here https://bettereducation.com.au/Results/HscPublicSchoolRanking.aspx?yr=2021

• Like 1