Jump to content
Jes11

medical issues

Recommended Posts

I'm struggling to find information about the medicals requred during the visa process. If we move to Australia, then it is likely that my wife and I will be aged 77 and 75 respectively when we come up for our final medicals. What sort of medical issues cause an applicant to fail a medical?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything that is likely to cost the Australian tax payer over the threshold for treatment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jes11 said:

I'm struggling to find information about the medicals requred during the visa process. If we move to Australia, then it is likely that my wife and I will be aged 77 and 75 respectively when we come up for our final medicals. What sort of medical issues cause an applicant to fail a medical?

I seem to recall you said you wouldn't start the process until you were 67, in which case the visa won't be granted until you are much older than that?   

The waiting time, if you apply today, is at least 15 years for the Contributory visa.  It's likely to be even longer if you delay applying. 


Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband granted UK spouse visa March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

My new novel, A Dance With Danger, is due out August 2022

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Marisa,

 

Nice to hear from you again. I was trying to be positive about waiting timers for the 864 visa of say 10 years - likely to be unrealistic I know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jes11 said:

Hi Marisa,

 

Nice to hear from you again. I was trying to be positive about waiting timers for the 864 visa of say 10 years - likely to be unrealistic I know

You can only be positive or negative about an outcome when the future is uncertain. Unfortunately the waiting time for parent visas is factual.   No government is going to change it because allowing more parents in would cause such a massive hole in their budget.


Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband granted UK spouse visa March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

My new novel, A Dance With Danger, is due out August 2022

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/11/2022 at 07:42, Marisawright said:

You can only be positive or negative about an outcome when the future is uncertain. Unfortunately the waiting time for parent visas is factual.   No government is going to change it because allowing more parents in would cause such a massive hole in their budget.

But the outcome of the medical is uncertain, so you can put a positive spin on that. The cost of treatment depends on how long you will have the condition. If they discover something on your medical when you are 110 years old, they won't expect to have to treat it for long.

  • Like 1

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia) www.kbfayers.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×