Oh The Memories!

Phoenix16

1 hour ago, Bobj said:

And I thought this thread was about memories of landing in Australia, not drugs and native title. Seems @Blue Flu has a hang up as far as any subject matter other than his/her own and seems to change the subject. 

Gerroff yer soap-box, mate!

Cheers, Bobj.

Drugs ie "illegal" drugs are a fact of life wherever you live. When I worked for Royal Mail in England the guys who tipped the mail bags were issued gloves and warned about the dangers of "sharps" ie syringes dumped in mail boxes. I imagine Australia Post is much the same 

Here, many public toilets and in pubs have boxes for disposal of needles. You can get marijuana on prescription from a doctor here in QLD.

The Rugby League World Cup is being held in England whilst the T20 Cricket World Cup is on here in Oz. England v Pakistan, the former colonial master versus one of its former colonies. That's the real face of British colonialism no matter what the activists say.

Being here in Surfers, sitting in the shade in on the seafront I can't access my diary for 1978. God, I was naive and inexperienced, living in hostels, scrabbling for jobs I would never try to do now. I had a great little job in England too, operating a weighbridge, keeping records and a pleasant life at home with my parents and brothers in a village. What on Earth made me tear it all up?!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobj said:

And I thought this thread was about memories of landing in Australia, not drugs and native title. Seems @Blue Flu has a hang up as far as any subject matter other than his/her own and seems to change the subject. 

Cheers, Bobj.

It is Bob and further posts off topic will be removed, this isnt CTF and its been mentioned enough on threads in there to be discussed further, should anyone wish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bobj said:

Cheers, Bobj.

I thought it was time in Australia Time to which was reflected on. I would have thought a societal matter not own agenda and hate to see kids being corrupted. 

I have LOTS of memories but I do remember odd things such as a couple days after arriving, walking along a Sydney beach and hearing someone calling my name.  Lo and behold it was an old boyfriend from my teen days and on another occasion in a Sydney pub not long after that bumping into someone else I knew from years ago.  Small world.  Also remember that when I started work in Sydney a few days after arriving how the sun shone every day during the week and poured with rain every weekend for weeks.  I was a bit miffed about that.  I also recall that at that time the Australian cost of living was cheaper than the UK for just about everything.  How times have changed.  

It was really easy to find a very nice flat with harbour views for a very reasonable rent.  We didn't stint on having a good time socially and were able to save.  We also rented a lovely house (fully furnished) in Fairlight, next to Manly beach.  It belonged to a ballerina and her husband who went on a tour of Europe with an Australian ballet company.  The rent there was also very reasonable as she wanted us to care for her many house plants and garden.  While we were there we looked at a house for sale at Avalon Beach.  It was $70,000 but we just couldn't afford it then. It was right on the beach.  Wonder how much it is worth now.   After that we packed up and went to Perth which was much more affordable.  Babies arrived and our carefree days were over for the time being.  🙂

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Toots said:

I have LOTS of memories but I do remember odd things such as a couple days after arriving, walking along a Sydney beach and hearing someone calling my name.  Lo and behold it was an old boyfriend from my teen days and on another occasion in a Sydney pub not long after that bumping into someone else I knew from years ago.  Small world.  Also remember that when I started work in Sydney a few days after arriving how the sun shone every day during the week and poured with rain every weekend for weeks.  I was a bit miffed about that.  I also recall that at that time the Australian cost of living was cheaper than the UK for just about everything.  How times have changed.  

Same with me. When the ship docked in Smellbum (Oct 1963), we were all marshalled to various officials for places of accommodation, which meant that I roomed with a bloodnut for 6 weeks in Essendon. I went on to WA and the the Kimberlies, where I worked on the Main Roads Dept. I was working out from Broome and, on a Sunday, went into town to have a break from tent life. I went in to "China Town" and in one shop, saw this bloke's arm, resting on the counter, the Timex watch and hairy 'orange' arm was a give-away, . I walked up to him and said, "Hello, Mike" to which, he turn to see me. Yes it was my room mate from Essendon, He was on a bus tour around Australia. That was in 1965.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1