Oh The Memories!

Phoenix16

Reminiscing about landing here on a 457 over 12 years ago and the rose tinted glasses, that many on here sought to shatter very quickly, still here, citizens and got PR within 12 months of landing.. things changed and it wasn’t so easy for a while, the doom and gloomers went into overdrive, posting messages designed to quickly shatter others roses tinted glasses, and constantly warn them ‘oh you can’t stay here forever’.  Many of us came here on a whim

and an opportunity and I feel it’s nice to see that for the determined, yes, there is a chance.. the chance we all got! Good luck to ya all xx

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Congratulations 1

18 hours ago, Phoenix16 said:

Reminiscing about landing here on a 457 over 12 years ago and the rose tinted glasses, that many on here sought to shatter very quickly, still here, citizens and got PR within 12 months of landing.. things changed and it wasn’t so easy for a while, the doom and gloomers went into overdrive, posting messages designed to quickly shatter others roses tinted glasses, and constantly warn them ‘oh you can’t stay here forever’.  Many of us came here on a whim

and an opportunity and I feel it’s nice to see that for the determined, yes, there is a chance.. the chance we all got! Good luck to ya all xx

Some are up to it.  So many aren’t. 

• Like 1

I’m five years this week, same as you I came on a 457. It’s what you make it I reckon

Agree about the prophets of doom btw
  • Like 3

We have been in Australia for almost 20 years, and having just spent 5 weeks in UK, we know we made the right decision to come here, and that although the  path to Australian citizenship has been a challenge for us, plus for the 2 of our children who followed us here  ( that’s a complete understatement, it’s been a nightmare), not one of us regrets sticking it out, we all made the right decision for to live in Australia. No regrets, 

Not knocking UK, it’s just not for us.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 2

44 years ago this week I was in Perth after arriving on 3rd November, 1978,  in Fremantle. I liked Perth but I couldn't get a job and I ended up in Sydney which I had never envisaged. My two brothers followed in 1979. 

I used to go back to England regularly, eventually going back for 12 years. Now, I've been here for 14 years on my second stint and I've not been back.

This year I've been in Surfers Paradise which I think I prefer to Sydney with its milder winters. As the editor of the Gold Coast Bulletin said, "You either live on the Gold Coast or you want to live there! (?)"

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

25 years (on this occasion) with extended stays in UK and EU. Now in the process of obtaining an EU passport so that possibly underlines my overall feelings on the subject. 

Good to hear you are doing something positive about a later move.  You were obviously far, far happier in Europe.  Good on you!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Toots said:

Good to hear you are doing something positive about a later move.  You were obviously far, far happier in Europe.  Good on you!

I doubt if anybody would be 'happy' finding themselves in the situation that we are in. (unless partaking obviously) Worse, possibly is the inability to do a lot about it. While this may be a feature of somewhere in South America , not really acceptable here. But yes, it will take time as one important paper is not on record, I believe. 

Edited by Blue Flu

10 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

I doubt if anybody would be 'happy' finding themselves in the situation that we are in. .... But yes, it will take time as one important paper is not on record, I believe. 

Are you in such a parlous financial state, @Blue Flu?  When we were researching moving to Europe, there were so many options for Australians,  in various European countries, if you had enough funds to be self-supporting.  We didn't need to take advantage of them, since a British passport was enough at the time.  What stopped us was my oh's anxiety about living in a country where he didn't speak the language.

On 04/11/2022 at 23:54, Phoenix16 said:

16 years for us and no regrets yet. We were lucky enough to come out on a PR visa straight away though.

Cal x

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Are you in such a parlous financial state, @Blue Flu?  When we were researching moving to Europe, there were so many options for Australians,  in various European countries, if you had enough funds to be self-supporting.  We didn't need to take advantage of them, since a British passport was enough at the time.  What stopped us was my oh's anxiety about living in a country where he didn't speak the language.

Unsure what exactly you mean by being in 'such a parlous financial state'? One has to sustain oneself with rather expensive medical insurance for one thing . There are schemes that require investment in property and the like for those outside The EU. Far better to wait and obtain an EU passport and have the freedom to come and go as all EU citizens possess. The chances are I would most likely be settling in a country where not overly familiar with the language. I think it depends on place decided upon. Anywhere with a large ex pat community should not be too difficult. 

54 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Unsure what exactly you mean by being in 'such a parlous financial state'? One has to sustain oneself with rather expensive medical insurance for one thing . There are schemes that require investment in property and the like for those outside The EU. 

Yes, but those schemes are not particularly onerous, basically they're just requiring you to buy (or in some countries, just take a lease on) a home to live in and you'd do that anyway, so what's the big deal?   I agree it would be much cheaper to go on an EU passport if you can get one, but it seems odd that you've been debating about moving overseas for so long and you've only now thought of this as an option.  

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Yes, but those schemes are not particularly onerous, basically they're just requiring you to buy (or in some countries, just take a lease on) a home to live in and you'd do that anyway, so what's the big deal?   I agree it would be much cheaper to go on an EU passport if you can get one, but it seems odd that you've been debating about moving overseas for so long and you've only now thought of this as an option.  

Nothing odd about it. Obviously a British passport would have covered it previously. I doubt if you have been into the requirements regarding health for starters. UK is probably not the best option over recent times. But what I find really odd, is the lack of concern what is going down big time in OZ. 

Just now, Blue Flu said:

Nothing odd about it. Obviously a British passport would have covered it previously. I doubt if you have been into the requirements regarding health for starters. UK is probably not the best option over recent times. But what I find really odd, is the lack of concern what is going down big time in OZ. 

Like anything else, these things can be all consuming if you are surrounded by them, but completely invisible to the majority who are not.

50 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Like anything else, these things can be all consuming if you are surrounded by them, but completely invisible to the majority who are not.

Or those that  acquire the insight  involuntary into the extent of what is going down. And indeed those who are partaking, but not wanting to do so oneself. Or the logical outcomes for the future, not to mention issues of accountability and integrity. 

Edited by Blue Flu

26 minutes ago, Parley said:

There are drugs in every country.

Mind you I have no visibility of any drugs around me other than alcohol.

As I've explained nothing like this. Mainstream and well turned out and those partaking probably would not Jay walk  as against the law. Pilger brought out a book some decades back termed The Secret Country. Visibility requires knowledge in what to look for. But anyway it is an insight into the sort of society one must decide if want to be a part off. 

7 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

As I've explained nothing like this. Mainstream and well turned out and those partaking probably would not Jay walk  as against the law. Pilger brought out a book some decades back termed The Secret Country. Visibility requires knowledge in what to look for. But anyway it is an insight into the sort of society one must decide if want to be a part off. 

For my understanding, can you list the European countries that have no drugs in their societies?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Or those that  acquire the insight  involuntary into the extent of what is going down. And indeed those who are partaking, but not wanting to do so oneself. Or the logical outcomes for the future, not to mention issues of accountability and integrity. 

Are you referring to drug dealers and abuse? 

18 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

I'm sure Pilger was wrong about a number of things, but certainly coming from outside it is clear Australia has not dealt with its colonial past yet in any meaningful way.  I was in Karratha this week and talking to some local gentlemen they were very clear the Miners are all full of shit and will do the absolute minimum they can get away with in regard to the local aboriginal community, native title or not.

• Like 2