Permanent resident visa & working holiday visas

Chris & Ellie

Hello everyone,

me and my girlfriend are due to move out to Australia in September 2023. I myself have a permanent resident visa as I lived there when I was younger which I have now renewed. However my girlfriends situation is different. We would like to apply for a partner defacto visa but as we don’t currently live together or have joint accounts we are unable to do so.  So we are left with the option of getting her a working holiday visa. If we do decide we want to live there which im always certain we will, what would our options be after her first year on a working holiday visa is up?

chris and Ellie. 

2 hours ago, Chris & Ellie said:

We are currently living with our parents in order to save as much as possible

In that case, you have to consider which is more important -- saving money or proving your relationship?   If you are still each living with your parents, it's going to be hard to prove that you're a genuine couple.

Remember that to get a partner visa, you have to prove that you've been in a relationship that is the equivalent of marriage, (just without the ceremony) for at least a year.  It's hard to imagine a married couple continuing to live separately with their parents for very long, isn't it?  It's going to sound like you're still dating. 

At the very least, you should open a joint account now, where you can start saving your money towards your trip. 

You need at least a full 12 months of being in a de facto relationship, before you can even apply for a partner visa.  So work backwards.  If you move out to Australia and start living together immediately, you will be able to collect evidence of almost, but not quite, a whole year of living together before she has to go home.  So I'd say the answer is to start living together a few months before you are due to leave for Australia.  Is there any way you could both move in with one set of parents?

13 hours ago, Marisawright said:

In that case, you have to consider which is more important -- saving money or proving your relationship?   If you are still each living with your parents, it's going to be hard to prove that you're a genuine couple.

Remember that to get a partner visa, you have to prove that you've been in a relationship that is the equivalent of marriage, (just without the ceremony) for at least a year.  It's hard to imagine a married couple continuing to live separately with their parents for very long, isn't it?  It's going to sound like you're still dating. 

At the very least, you should open a joint account now, where you can start saving your money towards your trip. 

You need at least a full 12 months of being in a de facto relationship, before you can even apply for a partner visa.  So work backwards.  If you move out to Australia and start living together immediately, you will be able to collect evidence of almost, but not quite, a whole year of living together before she has to go home.  So I'd say the answer is to start living together a few months before you are due to leave for Australia.  Is there any way you could both move in with one set of parents?

Or at least register you both as living at the same address and spend a significant amount of the week in that house. People work away from home all the time it doesn't mean that if you don't sleep there every night its not where you live. Id say if you are registered at an address and spend half the nights a year at the address that's your home and you are living together. It meets tax office rules!

Also as already said joint bank accounts as much in common as possible. Guess you can;t have many joint bills but think of some things you can have jointly - maybe pay for the internet in joint names at your parents house etc.

If you aren't comfortable doing things like that then as said before you aren't defacto you're just dating.

• Like 1