Referees for renting

Ceebs-x

Hello,

Has anyone had any difficulty getting referees for a rental application, when they have just moved from another country and don’t yet have a job? 

I have been living in bought accommodation for a long time now, I think I’ll have difficulty getting any referees initially. Obviously I’ll need to sort accommodation ASAP when I arrive though. 

Has anyone found a way around it? Could you give like six months up front instead? 

Cheers! 

References from any accommodation recently including temporary when you arrive. Employer references. Biggest thing is to prove you can pay so a healthy bank balance or employment contract. Depending on where you are going to rentals are in short supply. A covering note briefly explaining your circumstances and speaking directly to agents at opens helps too.

6 months upfront rental is not actually allowed in many states but it does happen…….

Each state should have a government website explaining rental rules in that state.

Where are you heading?

On 02/11/2022 at 00:33, Ceebs-x said:

Hello,

Has anyone had any difficulty getting referees for a rental application, when they have just moved from another country and don’t yet have a job? 

I have been living in bought accommodation for a long time now, I think I’ll have difficulty getting any referees initially. Obviously I’ll need to sort accommodation ASAP when I arrive though. 

Has anyone found a way around it? Could you give like six months up front instead? 

Cheers! 

A lot of rental properties require you to fill in an application form online and this makes it very difficult to skip questions you can't answer (e.g. referees, salary, rental history).

Instead get a hard copy of the application form, fill in what you can and add some background info.

18 hours ago, Melbpom said:

A lot of rental properties require you to fill in an application form online and this makes it very difficult to skip questions you can't answer (e.g. referees, salary, rental history).

Instead get a hard copy of the application form, fill in what you can and add some background info.

This is a good point - if you attend a viewing they often hand out a hard copy of the application form.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2022 at 00:03, Ceebs-x said:

Hello,

Cheers! 

We ended up using my old boss, the owner of the airbnb we used when we first arrived and they also contacted the estate we used to sell our house in England before we came to Aus.

On 02/11/2022 at 06:03, rammygirl said:

6 months upfront rental is not actually allowed in many states but it does happen…….

A landlord asking for 6 months upfront payment may not be allowed, however, a tenant offering to pay 6 months upfront because of the lack of reference that might otherwise cause the landlord to overlook their application is certainly allowed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rtritudr said:

A landlord asking for 6 months upfront payment may not be allowed, however, a tenant offering to pay 6 months upfront because of the lack of reference that might otherwise cause the landlord to overlook their application is certainly allowed.

It is allowed if it is an offer, what isn't allowed is the provision of that money to the landlord (if you are using a rental agency) they have to hold the cash in their client account and pass it on to the landlord weekly/monthly as though it had been paid in installments

So although you get certainty for 6 months you will be paid, you have no reference to show that they won't just stop paying after that (of course a referee doesn't stop that happening either) and you as a landlord also don't get early access to a lump sum (unless you are letting direct without an agent)

I would choose a weekly/monthly payer with a reference every time over a no reference up front payer, unless they paid the whole 12 month contract duration in advance.

Edited by Ausvisitor