EmilysDad

Flight via USA

Hi,

have valid visitor visa for entry in to AUS. Usually travel via East/ Singapore/Dubai etc.

This time flights are via USA. No intention or plans to leave the airport.. 

Do I need a visa ? ESTA?? Neither???

many thanks 

Afraid so.  Transiting through the US is painful, you need to go through immigration regardless of final destination so you need some kind of visa or visa waiver in place: certainly when going through LA you need to get your bags, go through immigration and check bags in again (at least you did in early 2020 when I had to do it).  Qantas has a guide to what to do on their website; your carrier might have as well as I can't speak for whether bags are checked through in Newark or anything on that side of the country.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/other-visa-categories/transit.html

This page talks about transiting through and what visa you need

insta #tabradders
Fine art landscape and portrait photography.  And occasionally fannying around with ultra-macro when I should be working.

Yes if holding UK passport

As well as holidaymakers and businessmen, regardless of the project, travelers who need to make a stopover in the USA are obliged to submit an application for ESTA transit authorization 

Taken from the ESTA info site

Thanks so much for the replies, can I clarify it’s an ESTA needed. Not a visa..? 

As long as you are eligible for an ESTA then you can use that instead of a visa.  However, if your ESTA application is denied then you will have to get a visa which requires an in-person interview.

Thank you so much, I eventually found the Qantas site which is much clearer than the British one. As UK (and Aus) are included in the visa waive scheme an ESTA is needed, costs $21us and has to be applied at least 72 hours before departure 🤗

To complete…

Esta approved and valid until Oct 2024

application and process quite straightforward even for a tech phobic like me.. aside from ID details it’s mainly a series of yes/no questions to answer, pay your money and then wait…