Flight via USA

EmilysDad

Afraid so.  Transiting through the US is painful, you need to go through immigration regardless of final destination so you need some kind of visa or visa waiver in place: certainly when going through LA you need to get your bags, go through immigration and check bags in again (at least you did in early 2020 when I had to do it).  Qantas has a guide to what to do on their website; your carrier might have as well as I can't speak for whether bags are checked through in Newark or anything on that side of the country.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/other-visa-categories/transit.html

This page talks about transiting through and what visa you need

• Sad 1

• 5 months later...
On 26/10/2022 at 18:29, EmilysDad said:

Thank you so much, I eventually found the Qantas site which is much clearer than the British one. As UK (and Aus) are included in the visa waive scheme an ESTA is needed, costs $21us and has to be applied at least 72 hours before departure 🤗

On 31/10/2022 at 02:06, EmilysDad said:

To complete…

Esta approved and valid until Oct 2024

application and process quite straightforward even for a tech phobic like me.. aside from ID details it’s mainly a series of yes/no questions to answer, pay your money and then wait…

This is good to know for future reference. Thanks for posting the process and outcome.

So if you visit the USA as a tourist do you need to attend an interview in person to get a tourist visa these days?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InnerVoice said:

This is good to know for future reference. Thanks for posting the process and outcome.

So if you visit the USA as a tourist do you need to attend an interview in person to get a tourist visa these days?

The only person I know who has had to do an in-person interview has a minor criminal conviction (was caught with a joint in his possession a few years back and got community service, but apparently it's enough to trigger the need for a proper visa).  The ESTA is completely online if you're eligible for one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eera said:

The only person I know who has had to do an in-person interview has a minor criminal conviction (was caught with a joint in his possession a few years back and got community service, but apparently it's enough to trigger the need for a proper visa).  The ESTA is completely online if you're eligible for one.

Thanks - we were thinking about a trip to Hawaii later this year, so this is good to know.

5 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

If you've been to a naughty country (e.g., Iran, Iraq or Sudan, but there are more) then you will need to apply for a visa and cannot use ESTA.  It will tell you that when you apply for the ESTA.

• Haha 1