Using a laptop outside

GrandpaGrumble

I've volunteered to be a scorer for the local cricket club this summer, which basically involves using a laptop out in the sun.  For various reasons, using the old-fashioned scorebook isn't really going to be an option.

First match was on Saturday.  The scoring went OK (esp. as I'd never done it before) but I struggled to see the screen, even on max brightness and under my Bunnings umbrella - which wasn't particularly convenient anyway.

Any tips about being able to see the screen better?  Particular sunglasses?  I've had a look at laptop sun shades but they get mixed reviews - though if/when the weather gets hot I guess I'll need some kind of shade to keep it cool as well as to see it.

My husband scores cricket a lot, although this year he has been sat inside so no sun issues.  I think the matches he has scored the scorers have been situated in the shade out of the sun which helps.  He has also used an iPad in the past which I think is a bit easier to see outside than a laptop screen. Are you able to sit yourself in a shady spot or take a gazebo or similar to sit under?  

• Thanks 1

Thanks NicF, that's helpful.

We were able to sit in the shade yesterday, and yes I could see the screen there, but it was so cold that we moved into the sun for the second innings!  This was a kids' game that started at 8am.  The box worked OK and it wasn't as windy as forecast, but I don't think that'll be a permanent solution.  Not all the grounds will have shade.

Yes, I've seen other scorers using an iPad and as you say they didn't seem to have as much trouble seeing the screen.  I haven't got my head around the software we're supposed to be using, but it does run on the iPad.  Maybe I should get round to learning it (currently using something I wrote myself which only runs on a PC).

Or I know a couple of people who are into woodwork, another option might be to commission them to make a sturdier, collapsible version of the box.

Gazebo is a good idea but wouldn't fit in the car.