I want to buy a car.

pob

I have found a used car I woudl like to buy, I have negotiated the price and I am about to transfer the funds for the car to the sellers account.

What do I do next?

Is there a yearly safety test like an MOT?

There are different coloured slips, pink, blue, green slips, what do they all mean?

Being in Sydney what do I have to do when I buy the car and what do I have to do every year?

I have been reading about compulsary insurance and non-compulsary. Have I got it right in thinking that the compulsary insurance only covers people and not cars or anything else that is on the road? If someone with only compulsary insurance runs into the back of your car and I am hurt they cover the hospital bills and loss of my earnings, but what about the cars/lamposts or anything else that could be damaged by a car? Do you have to then take the person to court yourself to get them to repair your car?

I was told the compulsary insurance stays with the car when you buy it? Is that true for the Greeno?

Is Rego like road tax?

Everythings name seems to get shortened and given a O or a Y on the end, which doesn't help much unless you are familiar with the local slang terms.

Sorry, I'm sure this gets asked a lot.

9 hours ago, pob said:

I have found a used car I woudl like to buy, I have negotiated the price and I am about to transfer the funds for the car to the sellers account.

What do I do next?

There are different coloured slips, pink, blue, green slips, what do they all mean?

Being in Sydney what do I have to do when I buy the car and what do I have to do every year?

I have been reading about compulsary insurance and non-compulsary. Have I got it right in thinking that the compulsary insurance only covers people and not cars or anything else that is on the road? If someone with only compulsary insurance runs into the back of your car and I am hurt they cover the hospital bills and loss of my earnings, but what about the cars/lamposts or anything else that could be damaged by a car? Do you have to then take the person to court yourself to get them to repair your car?

I was told the compulsary insurance stays with the car when you buy it? Is that true for the Greeno?

Is Rego like road tax?

Everythings name seems to get shortened and given a O or a Y on the end, which doesn't help much unless you are familiar with the local slang terms.

Sorry, I'm sure this gets asked a lot.

Here’s a page explaining the slips, can’t help that much as you don’t need these in SA.

https://www.peninsulaautoclinic.com.au/what-is-the-difference-between-blue-pink-and-green-slips/

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pob said:

What do I do next?

Being in Sydney what do I have to do when I buy the car and what do I have to do every year

The 'green slip' is your Compulsory Third Party insurance, which you must have.  It's not proper insurance, it's just so that if you injure someone, they get compensation. You need to get your own insurance to cover everything else --- most insurance companies will recognise your No Claims from the UK.

The green slip automatically transfers to you when you buy the car, so yes, it stays with the car. 

The 'pink slip' is the same as the MOT.  

The only time you'll see a blue slip is when you've got an unregistered car. An unregistered car can't get a full pink slip (MOT), so it gets a blue slip.  You'll need to get it registered (pay the rego) and get a pink slip before you can drive it on the road.

https://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/cars-and-other-vehicles/buying-and-selling-a-car

• Like 2