Working holiday Visa (Subclass 417)

Mike1999

Hi there, 

just thought I’d put my situation on here and was wondering if anyone had any advice for me!

as an intro, I’m a 23 year old (soon to be 24) and have just completed a sustainable energy engineering degree. I am planning to move to Australia from Ireland in early January 2023 with my visa just having been granted! I currently have minimal experience in the sustainable energy engineering discipline but have undertaken lots of seasonal and part time work in the construction and agriculture sectors!

Firstly, I am looking to get into the sector of wind farm construction. I have been applying for the past few weeks but have been unsuccessful to date! I would be open to working in the construction industry first if this might be an easier sector to get into first? 
secondly, I wondered is it possible to not do the farm work but possibly get working with a company and the possibility that they sponsor me, would this mean I would not have to do the farm work required as per my visa requirements? 

thirdly, I also wondered where in Australia is the renewable energy sector really taking off? I have researched many developments which are in the pipeline and the macintyre wind farm near Brisbane! 

finally, if I have to do the farm work, how difficult would it be to find work in the line of agricultural contracting or working on a farm rather than the usual fruit picking farms etc! 

thanks for taking the time to read this post and thanks in advance for replying!

The problem of applying for positions from overseas is that your WHV won't be that attractive to employers who may be looking for someone to fill a substantive post.  I'm not sure about the current rules for WHV and farm work, but if a company were to sponsor you, my guess is that they would then be applying for a different type of visa rather than the WHV.

2 hours ago, Mike1999 said:

Hi there, 

just thought I’d put my situation on here and was wondering if anyone had any advice for me!

as an intro, I’m a 23 year old (soon to be 24) and have just completed a sustainable energy engineering degree. I am planning to move to Australia from Ireland in early January 2023 with my visa just having been granted! I currently have minimal experience in the sustainable energy engineering discipline but have undertaken lots of seasonal and part time work in the construction and agriculture sectors!

Firstly, I am looking to get into the sector of wind farm construction. I have been applying for the past few weeks but have been unsuccessful to date! I would be open to working in the construction industry first if this might be an easier sector to get into first? 
secondly, I wondered is it possible to not do the farm work but possibly get working with a company and the possibility that they sponsor me, would this mean I would not have to do the farm work required as per my visa requirements? 

thirdly, I also wondered where in Australia is the renewable energy sector really taking off? I have researched many developments which are in the pipeline and the macintyre wind farm near Brisbane! 

finally, if I have to do the farm work, how difficult would it be to find work in the line of agricultural contracting or working on a farm rather than the usual fruit picking farms etc! 

thanks for taking the time to read this post and thanks in advance for replying!

Plenty of people on WHV working their 3 months  on Hamilton Island when I was there last week, rather than doing farm work.

2 hours ago, Mike1999 said:

Firstly, I am looking to get into the sector of wind farm construction. I have been applying for the past few weeks but have been unsuccessful to date

I doubt you will be successful applying from overseas.  It's hard to get a job from overseas even when you hold a full, permanent visa.  For someone with a WHV, it's almost impossible. Both employers and employment agencies want to know you're in Australia and ready to start work before they'll even look at you. I suggest researching employment agencies in your field, and plan to approach all of them in your first few weeks in Australia.    

3 hours ago, Mike1999 said:

Employers can't sponsor just anyone. You must be eligible for an employer-sponsored visa. Usually, you need a degree plus x years' relevant work experience.  Most importantly, you can't count work experience gained before you got your degree. So, if you're only just qualified, it's unlikely any employer would be allowed to sponsor you.  

People do arrive on a WHV, find a sponsor and eventually get permanent residency BUT they are at the older end of the age range (26-30), and already have the qualifications and experience to be eligible for a sponsored visa before, or soon after, they arrive in Australia. 

In hindsight, it would've been a lot better to delay your WHV until you had a couple of years' experience under your belt, then it would've been possible to arrive on a WHV, find an employer to sponsor you, then stay indefinitely.  However it's too late for that now (if you let this WHV go, you can't get another one), so you may have to plan to come on the WHV, make some useful contacts, then accept that you'll have to go back home for a few years to gain experience before you make the permanent move. 

https://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/migrants

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

However it's too late for that now (if you let this WHV go, you can't get another one),

This is not the case, actually. As long as the OP doesn’t use the visa by entering Australia on it, but rather just lets it expire, then he can apply again at a later stage as long as he still meets the criteria. 

Edited by paulhand
  • Like 2