ali

Looking for low carb/low calorie recipies

In March last year after being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes I made a real effort to lose weight.  From March to September with the help of a fantastic dietician by reducing carbs and calories I managed to lose 29 kg.  I've managed to maintain the weight loss but find that I'm getting a bit bored with the same recipes.   Anyone got any good low cal/carb recipes to share?

• Like 2
  • Congratulations 4

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

like what? Summer is more difficult when the slow cooker goes away and you use less mince unless you're making burgers!

Aldi low-carb bread is excellent if you need bread.

Ice cream for summer.  600ml thickened cream,  4 egg yolks, 5 tablespoons of stevia 1 to 1 sugar substitue, 2 tsp vanilla bean essence, 3 tablespoons cacao power, chia seeds.   Whisk it up, pour into glass jars, freeze.

Picinha - beef rump cap with an inch of fat on the cap, season with spice, sear on the bbq and then turn down heat for an hour, roasting over indirect heat. Take out for 15 mins to rest. Slice into steaks, then chargrill under direct heat for 3 mins each side.  Webers do these well, or use a charcoal grill with lots of smoke.  Best meat i've ever done on a barbie, bit of effort but lots of juicy fats.

Avoid any supermarket "keto" stuff thing with an -ol at the end, especially maltitol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robert Dyson said:

like what? Summer is more difficult when the slow cooker goes away and you use less mince unless you're making burgers!

Aldi low-carb bread is excellent if you need bread.

Ice cream for summer.  600ml thickened cream,  4 egg yolks, 5 tablespoons of stevia 1 to 1 sugar substitue, 2 tsp vanilla bean essence, 3 tablespoons cacao power, chia seeds.   Whisk it up, pour into glass jars, freeze.

Picinha - beef rump cap with an inch of fat on the cap, season with spice, sear on the bbq and then turn down heat for an hour, roasting over indirect heat. Take out for 15 mins to rest. Slice into steaks, then chargrill under direct heat for 3 mins each side.  Webers do these well, or use a charcoal grill with lots of smoke.  Best meat i've ever done on a barbie, bit of effort but lots of juicy fats.

Avoid any supermarket "keto" stuff thing with an -ol at the end, especially maltitol.

thanks - I have the fast 800 books which are great and haven't done a bad recipe from them.  I always make my own burgers.  I wondered if people had some interesting/favourite recipes  to add to my repertoire. 

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

cook with ghee instead of seed oils, high burning point and better for your health than butter.

• Like 1

Pinch of nom books , wife makes some great dishes from them 

• Like 1

also, tikka or tandoori with yogurt...any meat.

paneer tikka and paneer spinach (palak) and makhani.  Very good for your vegetarian, good fat low carb no sugar, good sauce.

• Like 1

also, fatty fish, very easy.  cover with spice and butter, bake for 20 minute.  Eat with green

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jadgit Rai said:

also, fatty fish, very easy.  cover with spice and butter, bake for 20 minute.  Eat with green

Any kind of fatty fish is very high in calories especially if you're going to add butter.   Fine if you are following an Atkins-type diet, which is ultra-low carbs, but if that's the case then you have to adhere strictly to the rules so you go into ketosis.  You can't do some meals counting carbs and some meals counting calories, it won't work.   @ali was asking for low-calorie/low carbs so I'm assuming she wants low calorie meals that are low in carbs too.  

It looked to be as if @Robert Dyson's recipes were more Atkins-type as the ice cream uses cream (high calories) and only cuts out the carbs (sugar).  

Always worth being aware that anything labelled "keto" is very low in carbs but may be high in calories or fat, so always check. 

The CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet Complete Recipe Collection is a bumper book of healthy-eating recipes. Unfortunately it doesn't show the calories in each dish.

Edited by Marisawright

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband granted UK spouse visa March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

My new novel, A Dance With Danger, is due out August 2022

5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Any kind of fatty fish is very high in calories especially if you're going to add butter.   Fine if you are following an Atkins-type diet, which is ultra-low carbs, but if that's the case then you have to adhere strictly to the rules so you go into ketosis.  You can't do some meals counting carbs and some meals counting calories, it won't work.   @ali was asking for low-calorie/low carbs so I'm assuming she wants low calorie meals that are low in carbs too.  

It looked to be as if @Robert Dyson's recipes were more Atkins-type as the ice cream uses cream (high calories) and only cuts out the carbs (sugar).  

Always worth being aware that anything labelled "keto" is very low in carbs but may be high in calories or fat, so always check. 

The CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet Complete Recipe Collection is a bumper book of healthy-eating recipes. Unfortunately it doesn't show the calories in each dish.

fatty fish for omega-3, very important amino, nutrient dense and energy to live.  improve HDL lower LDL, good for blood.

low calorie low carb ok too.

1 hour ago, Jadgit Rai said:

fatty fish for omega-3, very important amino, nutrient dense and energy to live.  improve HDL lower LDL, good for blood.

low calorie low carb ok too.

It's true that fatty fish has omega-3 but you have to be careful to check the calories.  Fish like sardines and mackerel are much higher in calories than white fish, for instance. Fine if you take the calories into account

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband granted UK spouse visa March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

22 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

It's true that fatty fish has omega-3 but you have to be careful to check the calories.  Fish like sardines and mackerel are much higher in calories than white fish, for instance. Fine if you take the calories into account

it recipe, not diet.  all diet should be balanced.   If satiety improve, nobody want extra carbs. 

I Indian and eat no rice or roti, no need it no more !  Skinny as butcher dog, eat healthy lots fat and veg, perfect blood and good cholestrol.   Cannot be carnivore, had vegetarian upbringing....still eat potato.

6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

@Marisawright - yes, i'm looking for new recipe ideas, I have a couple of  the Csiro books and love the fast 800 books.  I've managed to maintain my weight loss now for over year so have the balance right I think (and my diabetes is well controlled), i'm just getting a bit fed up of making the same things

1 hour ago, ali said:

@Marisawright - yes, i'm looking for new recipe ideas, I have a couple of  the Csiro books and love the fast 800 books.  I've managed to maintain my weight loss now for over year so have the balance right I think (and my diabetes is well controlled), i'm just getting a bit fed up of making the same things

Well done. I wish I could say I've had the same success!   I've recently started cooking prawns and fish a lot more.  I make a sort-of paella with prawns and mussels, red peppers, onions, peas and only half the usual amount of rice.  Baked fish is easy and I play around with the flavours. 

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Well done. I wish I could say I've had the same success!   I've recently started cooking prawns and fish a lot more.  I make a sort-of paella with prawns and mussels, red peppers, onions, peas and only half the usual amount of rice.  Baked fish is easy and I play around with the flavours. 

you try cauli rice?  Add onion and soy, salt better than sugar.  Onion carb but ok in small amount.

Fish very good protein sauce.   What white fish good in Australia?

18 minutes ago, Jadgit Rai said:

you try cauli rice?  Add onion and soy, salt better than sugar.  Onion carb but ok in small amount.

Onions are not carbs. 

9 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Onions are not carbs. 

they are not best choice, brown/yellow onion is not great choice.  White onion much better, get strong taste from less so reduce 9-10% carb down....if make onion soup, use less white onion  and it be healthier with same taste etc.

What do you think is unhealthy about onions? There is nothing unhealthy about them.  They have almost as few carbs as cauliflower, in other words, negligible (5-10 g per 100g).   On most calorie-controlled diets, they are classed as a "free" vegetable, i.e. you can eat as much of them as you like. 

Edited by Marisawright

44 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

What do you think is unhealthy about onions? There is nothing unhealthy about them.  They have almost as few carbs as cauliflower, in other words, negligible (5-10 g per 100g).   On most calorie-controlled diets, they are classed as a "free" vegetable, i.e. you can eat as much of them as you like. 

Some people are advised to go on a FODMAP diet if they have gastro intestinal issues like IBS etc, they're taboo for that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

You said onion not carbs...that not true.  Never said unhealthy, just need be careful with number, so white onion is very very good choice because it much stronger taste....more bang for buck, just good tip that all.

Here it say

https://www.ketoconnect.net/are-onions-keto/ 

Edited by Jadgit Rai

22 hours ago, Quoll said:

Some people are advised to go on a FODMAP diet if they have gastro intestinal issues like IBS etc, they're taboo for that.

That doesn’t make them unhealthy. In fact one of the big challenges with FODMAP is that most of the foods they must avoid are healthy foods which people with normal digestion are actively encouraged to eat. 

You don't necessarily have to look for a meal that is strictly low carb or low cal, you can technically eat whatever you want if you do intermittent fasting. Within reason of course. I did OMAD (one meal a day) fasting and lost about 45kg. OMAD probably isn't for everyone but if you are bored of the same stuff, don't be scared to treat yourself so long as you fast in a calorie deficit. 

• Like 1

On 01/11/2022 at 16:03, Quoll said:

Actually @Quoll, I meant to add that onions are not taboo on a FODMAP diet.   It's a common misconception.   Each sufferer is unique and each will have different triggers. Only those who are sensitive to oligosaccharides shouldn't eat onions.  Most people are sensitive only to one or two of the different types of carbohydrates (sugars), not all of them.

That's why the elimination diet for FODMAP takes so long, because you have to test and eliminate each type and the foods within each type. My oh went through it and it's quite laborious. Some dietitians take shortcuts, it seems - my friend's husband baulked at the idea of a 12-week program, so the dietitian said, "In that case just cut x, y and z because they're the most common culprits". If you read the research, you'll see that's total nonsense because the triggers vary so much between individuals:

https://www.monashfodmap.com/about-fodmap-and-ibs/

I was very relieved when my oh turned out not to be sensitive to oligosaccharides as I wouldn't know how to cook without onions!

Edited by Marisawright

3 hours ago, Obvious said:

You don't necessarily have to look for a meal that is strictly low carb or low cal, you can technically eat whatever you want if you do intermittent fasting. Within reason of course. I did OMAD (one meal a day) fasting and lost about 45kg. OMAD probably isn't for everyone but if you are bored of the same stuff, don't be scared to treat yourself so long as you fast in a calorie deficit. 

it good idea...never count calorie.  What you eat for one meal? 

Only thing that work for me is 4 boiled eggs and bullet coffee at 11am.  No hunger rest of day. 

Did greek full fat yoghurt, doubel cream, nuts, chia, blueberry....no work, still hungry by afternoon....so major fat with protein no work well.  Major protein with fat worked treat.....getting right proportion is crutial for energy level but no being hungry.