Mandurah or Bunbury?

Danilo

Hi everyone,

We are from Tasmania, a family of 4, me and my wife are both 40yo, 2yo daughter and Mum 68yo, all Filipino's.

Due to cold weather here in Tasmania. We are looking at relocating to WA, either Mandurah or Bunbury? 

We wanted a laid back/peaceful environment, close to shops, medical facilities and where we can find job opportunities.

I am a Disability Support Worker and my wife is a Registered Nurse.

Please help us decide of what is best for us.

Thank you for your inputs.

14 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Mandurah would be the better option as, while it is its own small city with a hospital and things it is also on the train line to Perth making working in Perth an option. 

@VERYSTORMYHad a quiet giggle at that train line, I worked in the roundhouse in 'Bumbry' as a trainee engine driver in late 1963 to early 1964 and used to ride free to Perth....16 hours each way. But the "Australind" used to take 3 hours and Mandurah was a sleepy retirees' village.

Wonder if the "Australind" still runs there?

BTW, Loved my time in 'Bumbry' and fishing off the land backed wharf for skippy. In those days, Bunbury had a population of about 9-10,000 people.

Cheers, Bobj.

3 hours ago, Bobj said:

@VERYSTORMYHad a quiet giggle at that train line, I worked in the roundhouse in 'Bumbry' as a trainee engine driver in late 1963 to early 1964 and used to ride free to Perth....16 hours each way. But the "Australind" used to take 3 hours and Mandurah was a sleepy retirees' village.

Wonder if the "Australind" still runs there?

BTW, Loved my time in 'Bumbry' and fishing off the land backed wharf for skippy. In those days, Bunbury had a population of about 9-10,000 people.

Cheers, Bobj.

The Australind runs twice daily Perth to Bunbury and return. We take it on occasions when don't want to drive. From your time there is another terminal in Bunbury out of town that takes half an hour plus to walk or about a ten minute drive. Not as convenient as the old station. 

I recall when fishing was allowed on all land backed wharf facilities in Bunbury and Albany. Done it many a time when at school. All that ceased in 01, of course when security was tightened after world events of that year. 

There are new port facilities from your time and old port has long not been in use. A big section of the old jetty was closed many years ago. Not sure if remainder can be used for fishing or not. 

BY population has increased substantially from sixties obviously. Sadly far more crime and anti social problems prevail, with drugs namely but not exclusively Ice ( creating havoc in smaller towns in WA and elsewhere) The old Rose Hotel, which you'll probably be familiar with retains a pleasant buzz 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Danilo said:

Hi everyone,

We are from Tasmania, a family of 4, me and my wife are both 40yo, 2yo daughter and Mum 68yo, all Filipino's.

Due to cold weather here in Tasmania. We are looking at relocating to WA, either Mandurah or Bunbury? 

We wanted a laid back/peaceful environment, close to shops, medical facilities and where we can find job opportunities.

I am a Disability Support Worker and my wife is a Registered Nurse.

Please help us decide of what is best for us.

Thank you for your inputs.

A very difficult choice. Both places have quite severe drug issues but would probably edge towards Bunbury as there are more options being a bigger city. There is a fairly substantial Filipino population there as well. I don't imagine it would be difficult to find work in the area you are in. Quite pleasant countryside not far away, although not sure how it would compare with Tas.