What to do after you get your 190 grant?

Elaine N

Hi,

We have been fortunate enough to get our 190 grant. We are hoping to get out to Oz for Christmas to activate the visa. Although I have a PR grant do I still need to apply for the ‘visitors visa’ (that you would normally when visiting Australia) to enter Oz for this journey? And when I get to the airport where do I actually go🙈 am I just a visitor at this point or am I a resident! 😄

2 hours ago, Elaine N said:

Hi,

We have been fortunate enough to get our 190 grant. We are hoping to get out to Oz for Christmas to activate the visa. Although I have a PR grant do I still need to apply for the ‘visitors visa’ (that you would normally when visiting Australia) to enter Oz for this journey? And when I get to the airport where do I actually go🙈 am I just a visitor at this point or am I a resident! 😄

Congratulations! As you have been granted a visa, you don't need a visitor visa. Once you walk through immigration your visa will be activated. It isn't always needed, but carrying a paper copy or having access to a digital copy of your visa grant can be useful in case an immigration officer asks for it. When I left the UK I had to show the airline proof of my visa and when leaving Australia for Bali I had to show it then as well (this might not be the case anymore).

19 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

It's totally anti-climactic.

You get off the plane, shive your passport in the unmanned queue gate, grab your bag and hop in a taxi.

The first Australian we spoke to on arrival was the cab driver, everything else was either electronic or just a "wave through" without the need to stop

Or taken out of the back of the airport and shoved on a bus and taken straight into quarantine haha.

I did get my first Tim Tam though in my goody bag whilst on the coach 👍

• Haha 1