NSW 190 occupation list experience

ksimpson94

Hi everyone,

I was looking for advice regarding the new NSW 190 occupation list that was recently released. For my occupation “painting trades worker”, the standard for Australian skills assessment has always been 3 years of post qualification experience to get a positive skills outcome. The list published by NSW now only asks for 1 year of experience in this trade. Would the skills assessment organisation take this into account when I apply for the assessment? A little confused.

Thanks

4 hours ago, ksimpson94 said:

The list published by NSW now only asks for 1 year of experience in this trade. Would the skills assessment organisation take this into account when I apply for the assessment? A little confused

NSW are looking for one year’s eligible skilled work experience. So, a year’s experience in addition to any experience before the date that Skills assessing authority deems you became ‘skilled’. TRA requirements are unchanged. 

2 hours ago, paulhand said:

NSW are looking for one year’s eligible skilled work experience. So, a year’s experience in addition to any experience before the date that Skills assessing authority deems you became ‘skilled’. TRA requirements are unchanged. 

Thanks for your response I really appreciate it. I guess I am just a little confused as to how I can meet the requirements of the TRA (being 3 years of experience post qualification) if I apply to NSW with only 1 year of experience post qualification. 

I have a painting & decorating qualification and 1 year of eligible experience post qualification. So from what I understand this is what NSW 190 is asking for. But the TRA wants me to have 3 years of post qualification experience as a painting trades worker.

Sorry if I am being a bit dim! Any help would be appreciated 

1 hour ago, ksimpson94 said:

Thanks for your response I really appreciate it. I guess I am just a little confused as to how I can meet the requirements of the TRA (being 3 years of experience post qualification) if I apply to NSW with only 1 year of experience post qualification. 

I think what Paul is saying is that the 1 year isn't 'post qualification', it's 'post TRA assessment".  So basically you'll need to get another year's experience after you pass your TRA.

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I think what Paul is saying is that the 1 year isn't 'post qualification', it's 'post TRA assessment".  So basically you'll need to get another year's experience after you pass your TRA.

Does this mean they need 4 years? 3 for TRA and one year experience after that? Or just 3 years?

17 hours ago, ksimpson94 said:

Hi everyone,

I was looking for advice regarding the new NSW 190 occupation list that was recently released. For my occupation “painting trades worker”, the standard for Australian skills assessment has always been 3 years of post qualification experience to get a positive skills outcome. The list published by NSW now only asks for 1 year of experience in this trade. Would the skills assessment organisation take this into account when I apply for the assessment? A little confused.

Thanks

How old are you? How many years experience of being a decorator do you have? And which qualifications do you hold?

On 25/09/2022 at 07:28, Phil1712 said:

How old are you? How many years experience of being a decorator do you have? And which qualifications do you hold?

I’m 28, I have completed the NVQ level 2 painting & decorating apprenticeship and qualified in June 2021. The apprenticeship was 2 years long of on the job training where I worked full-time. So I have just over a year of qualified experience, which is why I’m confused by the NSW 190 occupation list asking for 1 year of experience. When I know it’s usually 3 years of eligible experience for a positive TRA skills assessment. 
It seems I actually need 4 years of post qualification experience for NSW then? 
thanks 

1 hour ago, ksimpson94 said:

I’m 28, I have completed the NVQ level 2 painting & decorating apprenticeship and qualified in June 2021. The apprenticeship was 2 years long of on the job training where I worked full-time. So I have just over a year of qualified experience, which is why I’m confused by the NSW 190 occupation list asking for 1 year of experience. When I know it’s usually 3 years of eligible experience for a positive TRA skills assessment. 
It seems I actually need 4 years of post qualification experience for NSW then? 
thanks 

You may need to get your NVQ qualification transferred to an AQF