Visa chat

Fireball

5 hours ago, Fireball said:

My partner and I have 3 children in Oz who are now citizens.  We have decided that it is time for us to make the move!  What would be the best visa for us, as two young 67 year olds I think we would pass as aged parents!!

The bad news is that it's very, very difficult. 

Only a small quota (currently 6,000) of permanent parent visas is granted every year.  Australia is still accepting applications, but you just go in a queue, where applicants are processed in strict date order.  There are tens of thousands of applications already in the queue.  If you apply today, even for the most expensive visa, you will be waiting at least 18 years for a grant. This post explains it well:

https://www.gm-parent-visas.com/visa-processing-time-calculator/

If that comes as a shock, consider that if an Australian wants to bring a parent to the UK, it's virtually impossible. Perhaps people who would like a change should apply to Liz Truss to see if she can 'do a Boris' and get some kind of special deal done.

Because most parents aren't willing to wait 18 years for their visa, many agents are advising their clients to exploit a (perfectly legal) loophole:  it's possible to come to Australia on an ordinary tourist visa, then "decide" to stay and apply for the 'onshore' version of the parent visa while you're here.  The Immigration department will automatically grant you a Bridging Visa while they consider your application.  The fact that it'll take them 18 to 30 years to consider the application makes no difference, the Bridging Visa just keeps going till it's decided!

It sounds like a great solution -- you get to stay in Australia, probably for the rest of your life, without having to jump through any of the usual visa scrutiny or high fees.  However there are downsides to living on a bridging visa and you need to consider those carefully.  I've listed them in the post below.  Note that it's a migration agent's job to find solutions which will get you to Australia: it's not their job to warn you about how difficult/expensive it will be to live in Australia once you get here, or even whether it's a wise decision or not.