Advice on possible pathways

Wannabe Aussie

Hi everyone, 

Just thought I'd put my situation on here and see if anyone has any advice.

Basically I'm 30 years old (Soon to be 31) and I have just completed a master's in computer science. I have no experience in any IT related role however I do have a job offer from a company in the UK as a web developer.

I was thinking about applying for a second working holiday visa before I turn 31 as I done all the necessary farm work on my first working holiday visa a few years ago, however I'm not sure if I should just wait until the new rules kick in for UK citizens as the age requirement is going to be increased to 35.

By the time the new working holiday visa rules kick in I could have a years experience as a web developer, however I think this position is only on the STSOL which limits the visas I would be able to apply for.

Would it be best for me to look to gain experience in a position that's on the MLTSSL while I wait for the new working holiday visa rules to kick in?

Also I'm thinking when the new working holiday visa rules kick in I will be able to move to Australia 2 years and try and get some skilled work experience whilst in the country, would this be better for future PR visa prospects?

I have seen online that it is super competitive for IT professionals at the moment.

Sorry a bit of a loaded question 😅

Thanks!

39 minutes ago, Wannabe Aussie said:

Hi everyone, 

Basically I'm 30 years old (Soon to be 31) and I have just completed a master's in computer science. I have no experience in any IT related role however I do have a job offer from a company in the UK as a web developer.

I was thinking about applying for a second working holiday visa before I turn 31 as I done all the necessary farm work on my first working holiday visa a few years ago, however I'm not sure if I should just wait until the new rules kick in for UK citizens as the age requirement is going to be increased to 35.

By the time the new working holiday visa rules kick in I could have a years experience as a web developer, however I think this position is only on the STSOL which limits the visas I would be able to apply for.

Would it be best for me to look to gain experience in a position that's on the MLTSSL while I wait for the new working holiday visa rules to kick in?

Also I'm thinking when the new working holiday visa rules kick in I will be able to move to Australia 2 years and try and get some skilled work experience whilst in the country, would this be better for future PR visa prospects?

I have seen online that it is super competitive for IT professionals at the moment.

Thanks!

Hello,

Oh my goodness. I just read up about this now. Hallelujah!!!! 

I’m in a similar position to yourself, 30 years of age about to turn 31. With the intention of eventually getting a PR visa. From the UK. I haven’t actually had a WHV before though. 

Sorry I am not able to contribute to your actual query, but thank you for providing me with the information you have. This is exciting news! Hopefully they bring it in quite quickly. 

Yeah I think under the new rules you can stay in Australia for 3 years without the need to do any farm work which is great! 

I worked on a combination of banana, watermelon and avocado farms in Queensland and although the experience was good the work was hard to say the least 😅

I'm not 100% sure if they have also scrapped the rule that you can only work 6 months with each employer. However if this was scrapped then it would give people like me and you a chance to find a employer to work for and get some valuable skilled work experience that could possibly help us get PR in the future.

Worth keeping an eye on.

1 minute ago, Wannabe Aussie said:

Yeah I think under the new rules you can stay in Australia for 3 years without the need to do any farm work which is great! 

I worked on a combination of banana, watermelon and avocado farms in Queensland and although the experience was good the work was hard to say the least 😅

I'm not 100% sure if they have also scrapped the rule that you can only work 6 months with each employer. However if this was scrapped then it would give people like me and you a chance to find a employer to work for and get some valuable skilled work experience that could possibly help us get PR in the future.

Worth keeping an eye on.

According to the following, the six month limitation will still remain:

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/what-we-do/whm-program/latest-news/arrangements-uk-passport-holders

Still good news all round though. 

I am in the process of potentially applying for 190 state sponsorship. I have my English language exam with superior result and I’m awaiting return of my skills assessment. Good to know there are potentially other options, if required. 

7 hours ago, Ceebs-x said:

Hello,

Oh my goodness. I just read up about this now. Hallelujah!!!! 

I’m in a similar position to yourself, 30 years of age about to turn 31. With the intention of eventually getting a PR visa. From the UK. I haven’t actually had a WHV before though. 

Sorry I am not able to contribute to your actual query, but thank you for providing me with the information you have. This is exciting news! Hopefully they bring it in quite quickly. 

Why not get your first one now ? You will have a year in which to make your first entry. As Marisa says, who knows when they will actually ratify the agreement. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wannabe Aussie said:

Hi everyone, 

Thanks!

The demand to get sponsored or a PR related visa (189/190) is so high especially in IT related roles. I initially had the same plan as you (as a backend developer), but then I met my Aussie partner and went down that route instead. It's also very difficult to get any IT related jobs on a 417 due to the 6 month rule, I pushed for a while and got no joy so ended up in sales related roles instead.

• Like 1

On 18/09/2022 at 19:03, paulhand said:

Why not get your first one now ? You will have a year in which to make your first entry. As Marisa says, who knows when they will actually ratify the agreement. 

If those new rules were in place I wouldn’t think twice about it. Otherwise I’ll just wait and see how things progress with PR first, seen as I’ve already started looking into it anyway.  

2 hours ago, Wannabe Aussie said:

I've just been reading a couple of articles in the guardian about the removal of farm work for UK citizens and thr impact it will have on work shortages.

Both articles quoted 2024 as the expected date the new working holiday visa rules will come into force.

2024 is a long way away, it won't be Jan 2024, it might be July 1st 2024 though (start of the AUS financial and immigration year), equally they could delay it to the end of the year or later.

Of course it may never happen, the original plan for the change in UK/AUS movement was agreed between the UK Boris team and ScoMo's coalition. Boris is now gone and ScoMo lost to Labours Albanese - so the plan might get dropped yet!