How to deal with insurance time gap between separating from work and arriving in Australia?

Cath.C

So, we've gotten our PR visas, amazing given some health issue concerns that turned out to be either ignored by the panel doctor, or ignored by the migration officer reviewing our file.  Or maybe Australia just really needs people right now.

We arranged it so that there is no employment gap, new job in Australia will officially start the day after we official separate from our jobs in Europe, although it will be a couple of weeks between employment separation and arriving in Australia (starting work can be done remotely for one of us).  Health insurance is  subsidized through work.  We can maybe buy a month of private insurance cover on our own, but that might not be possible, and looking for alternatives.  As far as I can see though, we cannot sign up for Medicare until we arrive on the ground.  (reciprocal  agreements with UK don't apply).  Are there any less well known ways to get Medicare started before arriving, or will we need temporary or travel insurance for that approximately 2 week period?  Any recommendations for a good migration gap insurance (knowing that it won't cover preexisting conditions)?
thanks.

On 18/09/2022 at 00:09, Marisawright said:

Congratulations.

I don't know of any such thing as migration gap insurance. You buy Overseas Visitor Insurance.

https://www.bupa.com.au/health-insurance/cover/overseas-visitors

Thanks.

Not worried about insurance cover IN Australia, pretty sure that Medicare coverage begins when we arrive, even if we don't have the paperwork yet.  I'm trying to figure out how to cover a transitional period of up to two weeks.

On 18/09/2022 at 01:11, rammygirl said:

Buy one way travel insurance, sometimes called migration insurance, this will cover possessions as well as health. Normal travel insurance won’t work as you need to return for it to be valid.

Any recommendations?  My searching is failing me, I find travel insurance, and computer system migration services, but not what i need.  

9 hours ago, Cath.C said:

Any recommendations?  My searching is failing me, I find travel insurance, and computer system migration services, but not what i need.  

Try googling one way travel insurance.  Mine insists on Australian companies but Go Walkabout, Budget direct, globe link, insure and go are some that you can check.

The level of cover isn’t great for possessions but good for health, some offer cover for a while after you arrive which is useful until you get sorted out.