Hi, just looking for other peoples experience with how long this process has taken recently. My husband is a carpenter, we have 70 points and are looking to apply for a 491 visa for South Australia (we are using a MARA agent to help with the process). 

Our EOI was lodged with SA as our preference on the 31st August. How long has it taken for this to come back recently for other tradies with an invite to apply? Just wondering if we are potentially looking at a long wait…

Any advice or tips for the whole process would be gratefully received ☺️

I suggest asking your agent, as they probably have a better idea based on their other clients.   However the wait can be quite some time.  Also, do remember that it's exactly like applying for a job -- there are hundreds of other people applying, all with the required qualifications and experience, but there's only a small quota of visas available.  So you're not guaranteed an invite by any means.

16 hours ago, award92 said:

Hi, just looking for other peoples experience with how long this process has taken recently. My husband is a carpenter, we have 70 points and are looking to apply for a 491 visa for South Australia (we are using a MARA agent to help with the process). 

Our EOI was lodged with SA as our preference on the 31st August. How long has it taken for this to come back recently for other tradies with an invite to apply? Just wondering if we are potentially looking at a long wait…

Immitracker is a website where people lodge details of their application voluntarily. It might be worth checking on there to get an idea of past applications. Remember that it's not a website that's related to the actual immigration department.

• Thanks 1

On 15/09/2022 at 05:14, award92 said:

Heyyy. We're going down the 491 route for SA also, but different occupation and kicked things off in 21/22 FY so of course may be a totally different journey for you being the new FY etc.. I always like checking out other people's timelines though, so ours is - 

EoI submitted 26/04/22, state invite received about 2 weeks later, applied the next day, state nomination approved a couple weeks later then visa lodged and paid for on 23/05/22. We're still waiting for the grant which of course may come tomorrow, may come in a year 🙄

Think it's a case of being prepared for a long wait, but being hopeful that it won't be and trying to not get too immersed in the feeling of not being able to control it...which is easier said than done and something I haven't yet mastered 😂

Good luck with things

@Raplin45

thank you! It’s helpful knowing other peoples timelines, just to get an idea if anything. 

I think I am the same as you - I am not good at waiting for the unknown 😂 I’ll prepare for a long wait…and hope that things do move quickly 🙈 

I hope all goes well for you and you’re on the move soon ☺️ 

3 hours ago, award92 said:

@Raplin45

thank you! It’s helpful knowing other peoples timelines, just to get an idea if anything. 

I think I am the same as you - I am not good at waiting for the unknown 😂 I’ll prepare for a long wait…and hope that things do move quickly 🙈 

I hope all goes well for you and you’re on the move soon ☺️ 

The problem with comparing wait times is you are thinking about the process wrong 

You are thinking about it as a queue with rules, if someone enters 10 days before you and it takes then 270 days it should be your turn on day 280. But it isn't like that at all

The queue is more like a 1990s nightclub queue, you stand and wait patiently, all the time the bouncers are walking up and down and picking out the "better looking" patrons and getting them to jump the queue

Now immigration doesn't care if you look like Beyonce or Katie Hopkins, it isn't beauty they are seeking but they are looking for a certain profile of skills/experience/language etc and if your "face" fits you will get a shorter queue time

And of course just like a nightclub queue, there comes a point where regardless of how long you've been waiting you realise you might never get to the front and get in

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

The problem with comparing wait times is you are thinking about the process wrong 

You are thinking about it as a queue with rules, if someone enters 10 days before you and it takes then 270 days it should be your turn on day 280. But it isn't like that at all

The queue is more like a 1990s nightclub queue, you stand and wait patiently, all the time the bouncers are walking up and down and picking out the "better looking" patrons and getting them to jump the queue

Now immigration doesn't care if you look like Beyonce or Katie Hopkins, it isn't beauty they are seeking but they are looking for a certain profile of skills/experience/language etc and if your "face" fits you will get a shorter queue time

And of course just like a nightclub queue, there comes a point where regardless of how long you've been waiting you realise you might never get to the front and get in

I don't think anyone wants to compare wait times to help them determine how long theirs will be. As someone going through the process I find it interesting to hear what other people's experiences are and by the sounds of the OP they do too - which is absolutely fine.

It's also OK to look at it with positivity, which shouldn't be mistaken for naivety.

Edited by Raplin45