100k a year enough to live on in Melbourne initally with stay at home mum and baby?

AdrianAdrian

12 hours ago, AdrianAdrian said:

All of the comments have been really helpful, and as we have lived in Melbourne before, albeit only shortly in 2019, we kind of know the deal there. I was just curious as to how costs, aside from real estate had, had increased since then. Globally, costs have increased in most sectors, so it won't be a surprise for us to see food etc costing more. Real estate, however, has exploded everywhere. After looking at our old budgets from 2019, I believe we can get by for six months with the one salary of 100k. We don't drink, smoke and rarely eat meat. We just want a change of scenery and after four years, hopefully get AUS citizenship.

My original question was whether 100k would cover our family of three for an initial six months. I remember the higher cost of living in Melbs, but this is a compromise we are now willing to take for half a year. We have savings, and although we hope to ring-fence these so that we can hopefully buy a property once my wife has returned to work in July 2023, we have no qualms dipping into the to get us through the first six months.

We considered moving to another country in Europe, but dealing with all the red tape in a foreign language is something we have just left behind anyway after living there since 2014, and we want to be able to operate in English again for a few years due to our our baby's needs.

I know some will say it will be tough for six months and others may say give it a go, but to be honest, staying here isn't an option, even if it costs more to live in Australia. My UK teacher salary would be 30k GBP a year working approx 65 hours a week, whereas in Vic it would be just shy of 100k AUS, and less hours. However, one thing I have learnt over the years from living abroad is that more money doesn't necessarily lead to more happiness, even if it does help to make life more convenient.

Anyway, here's wishing you all luck wherever you may be.

Just three days ago the ABC reported on teacher burn out and dissatisfaction within its ranks. Apparently a number are leaving the profession. From the report I heard long hours were part of the discontent. The reality may differ from how it is sold abroad , but only once here I guess the truth of the matter will be revealed.