Contributory Parent Visa 173->143 Versus 143 directly

pgeorge

Hi, 

1. Looking to know the total cost difference between applying for the 173 -> 143 visa, as opposed to applying for 143 directly? I'm under the impression that applying for 143 directly (for both parents together) works out as at least AUD 9k-10k cheaper. Please correct me if this is wrong.

2. Also, how much is the waiting time (on an average) when applying for the 143 after getting the 173 visa? Will it go ona second 6-year waiting queue?

Thanks in advance for your answers,

PG

Thanks @Marisawright, I found this info - "The parent visa cap will be increased from 4,500 in 2021-2022 to 6,000 in 2022-2023. Currently contributory parent visas are being processed within 6 to 7 years of lodgement, and non-contributory parent visas within 15 to 20 years of lodgement. So hopefully with an increase in the cap the processing times will start to reduce"

Would be happy to know your thoughts on this. 

3 hours ago, pgeorge said:

Thanks @Marisawright, I found this info - "The parent visa cap will be increased from 4,500 in 2021-2022 to 6,000 in 2022-2023. Currently contributory parent visas are being processed within 6 to 7 years of lodgement, and non-contributory parent visas within 15 to 20 years of lodgement. So hopefully with an increase in the cap the processing times will start to reduce"

The 6-7 years years quoted is for those that applied 6-7 years ago.  The quota has been increased to 6,000 but most years less than the quota is given.  Even if 6,000 are given out, there is somewhat in the region of 70,000 already in the queue waiting.  There is no chance they will all get there visas on the next 7 years.  There are always more than 6.000 a year applying so the queue just gets longer and longer.  The processing times may start to reduce a little but that would mean those applying today may have a 15 year wait rather than a 20 year wait.  It’s hard on the families but you do need to realise the timescales quoted do not mean for those applying now.  How old are your parents?

13 hours ago, pgeorge said:

That is exactly the situation.  CURRENT parent visa applications are being processed within 6 to 7 years of lodgment.  The ones being CURRENTLY processed are those lodged in 2016.  

An application lodged today does not even start being "processed" until it reaches the front of the queue.  Up until that point, it is just waiting in the queue, it is not "being processed" at all.  Your waiting time will be 15 years at least.

Unfortunately, there are a few unscrupulous migration agents and lawyers who will tell you that the 6 to7 years is correct, because they want your business. After all, they will get their fees upfront, no matter how long you end up waiting for the visa.  

Edited by Marisawright

4 hours ago, pgeorge said:

@Tulip1 - my parents are both 76

Then there’s little point in going for the 143 as they would be over 90 before they get to the front of the queue.  With average life expectancy being what it is,  it’s unlikely they will ever get the visa and if by chance they make it to over 90 then they may well fail the medical.  The aged visas give a bridging visa to enable them to stay onshore while in the queue.  They won’t get to the front of that queue either but they’d be with you.  That option comes with many pitfalls though.  They will never have any access to help.  Your family would need to financially support them for ever which includes medical costs.  With two elderly parents those costs could be eye watering.  I wish you luck in whatever you chose to do. 

On 08/09/2022 at 04:03, Marisawright said:

Unfortunately, there are a few unscrupulous migration agents and lawyers who will tell you that the 6 to7 years is correct, because they want your business. After all, they will get their fees upfront, no matter how long you end up waiting for the visa.  

True-  I had a “discussion” on social media with an agent (not mine!) who stood by her announcement that my June 2017 application would reach processing stage in June 2023!! If it’s 67 months I’ve already waited 63 months but there no chance on earth they’d start my processing in 4 more months.!!