New permanent migration cap

benj1980

20 hours ago, benj1980 said:

I see Australia is increasing it's targets for permanent migrants, rising from 160k to 195k.  Is this enough? 

To solve the labour shortages that Australia is currently suffering from? Possibly not enough.

To significantly worsen the housing shortage that Australia is currently suffering from? More than enough.

There's always a lack of joined up thinking in Australia's approach to problems.

5 hours ago, Ken said:

To solve the labour shortages that Australia is currently suffering from? Possibly not enough.

To significantly worsen the housing shortage that Australia is currently suffering from? More than enough.

There's always a lack of joined up thinking in Australia's approach to problems.

Even if there were joined up thinking from the Government - say a specific program to bring in construction workers - would the unions be willing to be flexible on qualifications etc?  I doubt it as that would reduce their members earnings.  

30 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

Does anyone know if the quota applies to 887 visas applicants please? I have been told the quota applies when you are granted the 489 and not the 887.

No, this is the permanent migration cap so it includes 887 visas (because they are permanent visas) and excludes the 489 (because they are temporary visas). That doesn't mean there are no caps for the 489 visa - just not this cap.

UPDATE: Actually I just noticed that 489 (despite starting with a 4) is described as a provisional visa rather than a temporary visa. That may well change which category they include it under for the purpose of the permanent migration cap.

UPDATE2: Yes, provisional visas are included in the Permanent Migration Program. The 489 isn't mentioned but "Relevant visa subclasses include" the 494 and 491. 

Edited by Ken

2 hours ago, Ken said:

UPDATE2: Yes, provisional visas are included in the Permanent Migration Program. The 489 isn't mentioned but "Relevant visa subclasses include" the 494 and 491. 

Probably because the 489 has now finished and replaced with the 491.

So was the conclusion the quota was included on the 489 and not the 887>?

On 06/09/2022 at 19:17, Ken said:

No, this is the permanent migration cap so it includes 887 visas (because they are permanent visas) and excludes the 489 (because they are temporary visas). That doesn't mean there are no caps for the 489 visa - just not this cap.

UPDATE: Actually I just noticed that 489 (despite starting with a 4) is described as a provisional visa rather than a temporary visa. That may well change which category they include it under for the purpose of the permanent migration cap.

No wonder migration is confusing.  So in that case, the 491 and 494 are given the same treatment as a permanent visa even though they're temporary.

Whereas during the pandemic, the 491 and 494 visas were classed as temporary and therefore holders were not allowed to enter Australia.  They were told that being "provisional" didn't really mean anything in law. It caused untold hardship to a lot of people.