QQ - Partner Visa - bridging visa

Hello all

QQ - I will shortly be applying for a Partner Visa onshore in Australia. I am here on a tourist visa for 3 months. When do you receive the bridging visa? I know it doesn't kick in until the tourist visa has expired but I am really keen to get back to work so just wonder when I will have these details so I can start applying for jobs.

Thanks

WW x

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I hope you don’t mind me jumping on here but can I ask as I am trying to find the best way of doing things…

You went to Australia in a regular 3 month visitor visa and have lodged your partner visa application whilst there?

We are looking to move soon as my husband’s UK visa expires next august and the waiting times on processing are freaking me out! 

thank you x

4 hours ago, clairechesh said:

Hello, I hope you don’t mind me jumping on here but can I ask as I am trying to find the best way of doing things…

You went to Australia in a regular 3 month visitor visa and have lodged your partner visa application whilst there?

I've answered this on another thread.  However just to be clear:  you can go to Australia on a regular 3 month visitor visa and apply whilst there, but that doesn't mean you'll get the partner visa approved within that time.  You'll just go on a bridging visa at the end of the three months, and then you'll be waiting months for the partner visa to come through.  Processing times onshore are as long or longer than offshore (they were shorter, briefly, during the border closures).  

While you can work on the bridging visa in theory, the problem is that employers aren't keen to take on people who are on temp visas, unless you're in a profession where there's a real shortage. 

As I said on the other thread, the solution is to apply offshore now, and then you still have the option of going over on a tourist visa if your partner visa hasn't been approved by the time you have to leave the UK.  

Edited by Marisawright