103 application - main applicant ceased

scmucyx

Hi all, I am wondering if anyone is able to share their experience and thoughts about the question I have for a ceased main applicant during the waiting period for 103.

Q1: If the main applicant ceased, can the secondary applicant become the main by contacting Home affairs? Or a whole new application process?

Q2: Queue date 2012 for 103, if the applicant decides to switch to 143, would it be the same queue date as 103?

Q3: If switching is possible with the original queue date, Is the applicant eligible for any social benefits? Or with a waiting period?

Q4 Is the applicant eligible for any social benefits with 103 at queue date 2012?

Much appreciated!

10 hours ago, scmucyx said:

Hi all, I am wondering if anyone is able to share their experience and thoughts about the question I have for a ceased main applicant during the waiting period for 103.

Q1: If the main applicant ceased, can the secondary applicant become the main by contacting Home affairs? Or a whole new application process?

Q2: Queue date 2012 for 103, if the applicant decides to switch to 143, would it be the same queue date as 103?

Q3: If switching is possible with the original queue date, Is the applicant eligible for any social benefits? Or with a waiting period?

Q4 Is the applicant eligible for any social benefits with 103 at queue date 2012?

Much appreciated!

I’m assuming you mean someone  has died rather than just withdrawn an application 

1) I understand if you contact immi and explain. The main applicant has died they will accept the secondary applicant as the main applicant without any change in date. 

2) if you switch from 103 to 143 you keep the same queue date 

3) No benefits are payable until after  GRANT of 143 for 10 years but will have Medicare 

4) I believe after GRANT of 103 you wait two years for benefits but will have Medicare 

However this is all pretty academic because 103 is likely to take quite a few more years as they’re only currently dealing with October 2010 I think and only 900 grants per year are available for the combined queue of 103 and 804 and likely to be further drops in that amount this year

Changing  to 143 would mean with a queue date of 2012  it would be processed almost immediately as they’re up to September 2016 at the moment. So you would need medicals. Police clearances etc plus pay a lot of money - approx $43600 plus the costs of medicals etc. and would still have to wait 10 years for any benefits after grant. You as sponsor would also have to pay assurance of support of $10000 and would not get it returned for 10 years. 

Australia doesn’t give any benefits out to new migrants until after a wait period of years. Should the migrant not be able to afford to live on their money Centrelink will  use the money from the Assurance of Support. Once that runs out you as sponsor will have to pay for everything and will have a debt to the government. 

Edited by LindaH27

Thanks, heaps, I have an idea now what to do next, however, I have got one more question, I had the impression of the waiting period for benefits starts from the time of submit of the application for 103 (queue date?), this was back then in 2012, is this still the case? or this has been changed?

1 hour ago, scmucyx said:

Thanks, heaps, I have an idea now what to do next, however, I have got one more question, I had the impression of the waiting period for benefits starts from the time of submit of the application for 103 (queue date?), this was back then in 2012, is this still the case? or this has been changed?

New migrants have always had to wait for varying periods AFTER  they have arrived. Australia  expects migrants to be able to support themselves. They don’t expect to be paying out benefits to newly arrived migrants  

B6F48BD3-A7F8-465B-9171-ED72C6229531.png

Edited by LindaH27
  • Like 1

On 11/08/2022 at 12:21, scmucyx said:

Much appreciated!

Hi.  Don’t know if this is any help but we were on the 103 list for two years from 2013 and when we switched to the 143 in 2015 they counted the two years we had already been waiting. We were lucky, the wait was aproximately two years for a 143 back then so we got our visa almost immediately after we swapped.  I have a friend who didn’t want to wait the four or five years (six even?) that the 143 now takes, so she came over on a visitors visa and applied for an onshore aged parents visa from here. She risks being deported if she (eventually) fails her medical, but feels the risk is worth being able to be here with her family and be part of her grandchildren’s lives.

• 2 weeks later...