Brisbane vs Adelaide

DXW059

Hi,

I’ve received job offers from Adelaide and Brisbane and am so torn. I’d prefer the Brisbane job but am worried about the Brisbane humidity and how we’ll manage. Hoping that with air con over the summer months in the house we’ll be ok. 
Such a difficult decision to make. Any advice/reassurance appreciated. 

Go with the better job and live with the weather. If you then find you can't stand the weather, look around for a new job somewhere else. On balance Brisbane will be slightly more expensive  to live but it's not quite so isolated being on the east coast rather than on its own in the middle. 

4 hours ago, DXW059 said:

Hi,

I’ve received job offers from Adelaide and Brisbane and am so torn. I’d prefer the Brisbane job but am worried about the Brisbane humidity and how we’ll manage. Hoping that with air con over the summer months in the house we’ll be ok. 
Such a difficult decision to make. Any advice/reassurance appreciated. 

Personally, I would go Adelaide.   Brisbane may be the better job but the job won't last forever, whereas the weather will.   

Many people will tell you the weather in Brisbane isn't that bad, and you only have to put up with it for a few weeks of the year and the rest of the year is gorgeous.  However those are people who tolerate humidity well, andonly notice the worst few weeks in mid-summer.  For people like me, who find humidity really difficult to cope with, I find it humid all the way from December to March and it's torture -- and the glorious weather the rest of the year doesn't make up for it. Only you can decide which camp you're in.

• Like 1

And I would choose Brisbane.

Adelaide might have a drier heat but they have horrendous heatwaves with temperatures way up in the high 30s/low 40s for days on end during the summer. The east coast gets relief from extreme heat every 2-3 days when the next cool change rolls in. Adelaide doesn't; it gets relentless hot winds coming down from the Centre for extended periods.

Nowhere's perfect...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, NickyNook said:

And I would choose Brisbane.

Adelaide might have a drier heat but they have horrendous heatwaves with temperatures way up in the high 30s/low 40s for days on end during the summer. The east coast gets relief from extreme heat every 2-3 days when the next cool change rolls in. Adelaide doesn't; it gets relentless hot winds coming down from the Centre for extended periods.

Nowhere's perfect...

Well it does depend on where exactly you live in either place. If you are talking about in or very close to the city it will be very different from say the Adelaide Hills or outskirts of Brissie. I live in the Adelaide Hills and even with very hot days in the summer we rarely need aircon overnight. And the heatwaves aren’t that often or that long really.  I wouldn’t like to be in the city at 40 degrees but further out it is cooler. Same with Brisbane. 
The winters here are cold though we do get frost in the hills and we often fly north for some warmth!

I love where I am but if I had to move it would be up Brissie way

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NickyNook said:

Adelaide might have a drier heat but they have horrendous heatwaves with temperatures way up in the high 30s/low 40s for days on end during the summer.

That's true, but remember that a dry heat doesn't feel as hot as a humid heat, even though the thermometer shows a higher figure.  

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/heatindex.shtml

The unknown factor is how the OP reacts to humidity.  It may be something they won't know until they arrive.   It's possible they've never experienced anything like it, if they haven't visited  a humid country. They may find it's not an issue at all, or they may really struggle. 

I don't cope with humidity well, yet when I was back in the South of England in 2015/16, I never had any problems because the humidity was so mild. Yet many English people were complaining about how terribly humid it was that summer.  They would never cope in Brissie!   

Edited by Marisawright

Exactly over 40 here is searing hot and when windy scary (fire danger) but I can still go outdoors for a walk or to the beach. 30 degrees with high humidity is more exhausting I find, don’t mind it on holiday but …….

It often surprises me how many people do not like heat and just stay indoors under aircon, especially migrants who came “for the climate”

Edited by rammygirl
  • Like 1

There's an old saying "Adelaide is a great city... (when they finish it)"...

It's a nice place with fantastic restaurants and wineries but Brisbane has a lot more going for it. I guess you only have to look at the interstate migration trends to figure out where most Aussies head for once they have itchy feet..,. 90% head to Queensland.

Queensland is certainly a growth state, with more and more companies choosing to set up an Australian base in the Sunshine state. Adelaide has a very small number of SA headquartered businesses, the largest being Santos which actually probably now has more people based in its Brisbane office than Adelaide. I know a few people in the Oil & Gas space who all tell me the same story. When SA based employees do a stint in Brisbane, few ever want to return to SA... That's what I hear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Elliott said:

There's an old saying "Adelaide is a great city... (when they finish it)"...

It's a nice place with fantastic restaurants and wineries but Brisbane has a lot more going for it. I guess you only have to look at the interstate migration trends to figure out where most Aussies head for once they have itchy feet..,. 90% head to Queensland.

Queensland is certainly a growth state, with more and more companies choosing to set up an Australian base in the Sunshine state. Adelaide has a very small number of SA headquartered businesses, the largest being Santos which actually probably now has more people based in its Brisbane office than Adelaide. I know a few people in the Oil & Gas space who all tell me the same story. When SA based employees do a stint in Brisbane, few ever want to return to SA... That's what I hear.

Queensland is a wonderful state if you like your roof being blown off your house every other year or your entire lower floor flooded 😉

I don't think 90% of aussies who move interstate go to qld that sounds like fake news

Lets get real Brisbane and Adelaide are both nice enough both have their good and bad points

Its a hard call but i would edge towards Brisbane as its less isolated than Adelaide

• Like 1

There sure is some rubbish being written about Queensland on this thread, luckily I’m still alive after living on the Sunshine Coast for 19 years, and have survived the apparent horrendous summer humidity.

The flooding was awful, but equally bad in NSW, as houses are built on flood planes,  and houses sadly loose their roofs in most states.

The reality is that yes it does get humid in summer here, in varying degrees over 3/4 months, and that’s why Qld buildings and many homes have aircon. Bit like cold countries having central heating. we do still go outside though, probably avoid the hottest part of the day, but early mornings and the evenings are fine.
Houses are built on floodplains in places here and in other states, so they are prone to flooding.      

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses. 

For those that know Brisbane, could you suggest some suburbs to look at where we will hopefully get some sea breeze, won't flood and is commutable to Herston? I was thinking perhaps areas of Sandgate, Brighton, Aspley etc. 

2 hours ago, DXW059 said:

Thanks for all the responses. 

For those that know Brisbane, could you suggest some suburbs to look at where we will hopefully get some sea breeze, won't flood and is commutable to Herston? I was thinking perhaps areas of Sandgate, Brighton, Aspley etc. 

What's your budget? Are you renting/buying? How long are you willing to commute for?

4 minutes ago, DXW059 said:

Will rent initially for first year or so.

Budget no more than $700/week.

Willing to commute up to 40 mins 

I live in Bayside (Wynnum, Manly, Lota area). Off peak it takes me 30 mins to drive to Herston. Peak times can be up to 1 hour. Train is about 1 hour to Bowen Hills. 

Great schools (Wynnum and Manly State schools for public primary).

Here's a rental example: 29 Kitchener Street, Wynnum, Qld 4178 https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-wynnum-434854955

Objectively much less boganism happening than on the peninsula.

Edited by DukeNinja

7 minutes ago, DukeNinja said:

I live in Bayside (Wynnum, Manly, Lota area). Off peak it takes me 30 mins to drive to Herston. Peak times can be up to 1 hour. Train is about 1 hour to Bowen Hills. 

Great schools (Wynnum and Manly State schools for public primary).

Here's a rental example: 29 Kitchener Street, Wynnum, Qld 4178 https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-wynnum-434854955

Thanks, given it’s so close to the coast there is the flood risk greater? 

7 minutes ago, DukeNinja said:

Have a look at the Brisbane interactive flood map: http://floodinformation.brisbane.qld.gov.au/fio/

It's very helpful when you're checking out properties.

Some of lower bayside is at risk of king tides, but in the whole there's not much flooding that happens. But definitely check the map above. Sounds like you're heading to the RBWH?

Thanks.

yes potentially 🙂

8 hours ago, DXW059 said:

Thanks.

yes potentially 🙂

Be aware that it's a really busy hospital as its the motherland of all the Qld hospitals. It has the 2nd largest hospital campus in Oz iirc.

Not sure how the Adelaide job compares but the work life balance might be better there. Best to try and get some inside info from some someone who works there.

Edited by DukeNinja
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, can1983 said:

Queensland is a wonderful state if you like your roof being blown off your house every other year or your entire lower floor flooded 😉

I don't think 90% of aussies who move interstate go to qld that sounds like fake news

Lets get real Brisbane and Adelaide are both nice enough both have their good and bad points

Its a hard call but i would edge towards Brisbane as its less isolated than Adelaide

Not fake news at all. I have been following this data from the ABS for over 20 years... OK, it might dip to 80% at times but Queensland consistently leads the table. I agree though, the push factors vary on a case by case basis. Everyone is different.

https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/people/population/regional-internal-migration-estimates-provisional/latest-release

6 hours ago, Steve Elliott said:

Not fake news at all. I have been following this data from the ABS for over 20 years... OK, it might dip to 80% at times but Queensland consistently leads the table. I agree though, the push factors vary on a case by case basis. Everyone is different.

https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/people/population/regional-internal-migration-estimates-provisional/latest-release

It is if you're quoting 80-90%. 

In the stats 104,000 moved state in the quarter to March 2021 with 28,500 moving to Queensland, although quite impressive that's less than 30%. 

On 12/08/2022 at 13:51, welljock said:

It is if you're quoting 80-90%. 

In the stats 104,000 moved state in the quarter to March 2021 with 28,500 moving to Queensland, although quite impressive that's less than 30%. 

What counts is not how many goals you score in determining the result, its about ensuring you score more than you concede, thus the margin which counts 🙂

If you love great food and wine, Adelaide is the state for you, although I do recall spending Christmas day in the Adelaide hills with the log fire on !!