Jump to content
sammy11480

Is my daughter in the right year group for her age?!

Recommended Posts

Hello Everyone

I would really appreciate if anyone can advise me on whether my daughter is in the right year group. I know this sounds silly that I don't know, but I'm getting myself all confused. ūüėě

We moved to Melbourne in January 2020 and my daughter turned 5 on 19th May 2020. We then started her in Prep starting January 2021. 

She is now in Year 1 and just turned 7 in May 2022. 

She is the oldest in her class and some in her class are still 5! Alarm bells are beginning to ring and I'm wondering if she should actually be in Year 2 by now?!

I confess I find the ages and year groups so much more confusing than UK where you start school at 4 or 5 and then all children are the same age in each year group.

Please advise if you can if a 7 year old in Year 1 is normal or I've gone wrong somewhere?

In Uk she would be heading into year 3 in September! Such a huge difference to Year 1. I also can't believe she will be 12 and still at Primary school at this rate!

Many thanks,

Sam 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sammy11480 said:

Hello Everyone

I would really appreciate if anyone can advise me on whether my daughter is in the right year group. I know this sounds silly that I don't know, but I'm getting myself all confused. ūüėě

We moved to Melbourne in January 2020 and my daughter turned 5 on 19th May 2020. We then started her in Prep starting January 2021. 

She is now in Year 1 and just turned 7 in May 2022. 

She is the oldest in her class and some in her class are still 5! Alarm bells are beginning to ring and I'm wondering if she should actually be in Year 2 by now?!

I confess I find the ages and year groups so much more confusing than UK where you start school at 4 or 5 and then all children are the same age in each year group.

Please advise if you can if a 7 year old in Year 1 is normal or I've gone wrong somewhere?

In Uk she would be heading into year 3 in September! Such a huge difference to Year 1. I also can't believe she will be 12 and still at Primary school at this rate!

Many thanks,

Sam 

 

In Victoria students transfer to secondary school at age 12.  They begin in Year 7 and can leave school after Year 10.  If they choose to stay on for VCE which is the equivalent of A levels, they do Year 11 and 12.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She'd be in one of the correct years in Qld. You could've started her in prep a year earlier but no legal requirement to do so.

If you want reassurance about your decision read the first chapter of Malcolm Gladwell's book, Outliers.

Edited by DrDougster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She's in the right year group. Cut off for Victoria is 30 April so she will be one of the oldest in her year. I doubt there are any kids still 5 yrs old in her current year (unless they are ridiculously gifted and talented) although the youngest in the class might have turned 6 in April this year.  Had you moved to another state she could have been in a year higher group (eg NSW has cut off end July), but you didn't, so she's in the right cohort for Vic. If you change states well there's all sorts of flexibility issues that could be considered.  It'd be good if all the states had the same cut off dates but they dont and show no  signs of changing! 

Just remember that this is a foreign country with different education systems.  I was smiling yesterday considering my son and grandson - here in Australia my son, when turning 8 (in a few weeks) would have been in year 2, starting year 3 in January yet his son, in UK turning 8 tomorrow has just finished year 3 and starts year 4 in September!!! Weird or what!  It's nothing to worry about unless you decide to return to UK where your daughter could be placed in a year level higher than the one she's been in in Australia but even then, UK schools work hard to help kids "catch up". If you're planning on staying in Australia its no big deal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, sammy11480 said:

UK where you start school at 4 or 5 and then all children are the same age in each year group.ÔĽŅ

I worked in the UK education sector, there are a lot of schools in the UK that don't do this, it's becoming more common. 

 

20 hours ago, sammy11480 said:

In Uk she would be heading into year 3 in September! Such a huge difference to Year 1. I also can't believe she will be 12 and still at Primary school at this rate!

Remember that they start school later in Australia than they do in the UK.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you everyone.

Oops in my original post, I forgot to mention that we have moved to the Gold Coast! 

So she started Prep in Victoria it sounds at the right time but on this calculator she IS now behind a year for Queensland!!!!

I guess when we moved here in January 2022, she probably should have gone into Year2 in QLD.

I didn't realise the difference between starting ages across states.

This does explain why she is definitely the oldest in the class!

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes QLD is different to Victoria, I'm surprised the school didnt pick up on it when enrolling her. It may be worth having a chat with them if you would rather her be moved up a year but do bear in mind for some reason its not uncommon for kids to repeat a year here so being the oldest can happen .

These are the guideline's for QLD 

- 

Your child's date of birth will determine when they enter the school system. The child needs to be 5-years old before the State's cut-off date to start the school year in January of that year. For the Gold Coast, and all of Queensland, the cut-off date is the 30th of June.

So for example, if your child turns 5 on the 30th of May, then they would start the school year in January in the year that they turn 5, so for the first five months your child will be 4 years old when they're in their first year of school.

  • Like 1

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually i just read some more and found this article you may find useful

 

Moving Interstate mid-way through your child's schooling

So what happens when you move states mid-way through your child's schooling? Well, the same cut-off dates will apply throughout a child's school-age years. Which can mean that your child may be held back (compulsory) or may be progressed (not compulsory) a year, depending on what state you're moving from and to.

For example; if your child was born on 15 July 2015 they could have started their first year at school in January 2020 if they lived in NSW. Then if they move to Queensland at any point during their schooling, they will be set-back by a year, because the cut-off date in Queensland is 30 June (compared to 31 July in NSW).

https://www.movingtothegoldcoast.com/what-age-do-children-start-school-on-the-gold-coast-qld

 

Cal x

 
 
  • Like 1

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, so you've moved interstate. She's still in an ok year for her Qld cohort but there will be others her age in the year above, for sure. If she's coping academically and socially and seems a bit out of place then have a chat with the school about moving her.  It's easier if she's in a composite class as then the year differences seem to disappear. If you're likely to move back to Victoria then  let her be. She's young  enough that it shouldn't be much of an issue to move her but bring oldest in the class can be a whole  lot better than being youngest in the class. When she gets to Uni there will be kids her age in her year from Vic, SA, and ACT and kids her age in the year above from NSW, Qld, WA and NT - it'll all come out in the wash - it's more about how she fits socially in her current cohort - if she has  no friends and is ahead of the current curriculum then move her and if she is likely to go back to UK then  definitely ask to move her. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/08/2022 at 20:56, calNgary said:

Actually i just read some more and found this article you may find useful

 

Moving Interstate mid-way through your child's schooling

So what happens when you move states mid-way through your child's schooling? Well, the same cut-off dates will apply throughout a child's school-age years. Which can mean that your child may be held back (compulsory) or may be progressed (not compulsory) a year, depending on what state you're moving from and to.

For example; if your child was born on 15 July 2015 they could have started their first year at school in January 2020 if they lived in NSW. Then if they move to Queensland at any point during their schooling, they will be set-back by a year, because the cut-off date in Queensland is 30 June (compared to 31 July in NSW).

https://www.movingtothegoldcoast.com/what-age-do-children-start-school-on-the-gold-coast-qld

 

Cal x

 
 

Thank you very much.

 

On 10/08/2022 at 20:56, calNgary said:

Actually i just read some more and found this article you may find useful

 

Moving Interstate mid-way through your child's schooling

So what happens when you move states mid-way through your child's schooling? Well, the same cut-off dates will apply throughout a child's school-age years. Which can mean that your child may be held back (compulsory) or may be progressed (not compulsory) a year, depending on what state you're moving from and to.

For example; if your child was born on 15 July 2015 they could have started their first year at school in January 2020 if they lived in NSW. Then if they move to Queensland at any point during their schooling, they will be set-back by a year, because the cut-off date in Queensland is 30 June (compared to 31 July in NSW).

https://www.movingtothegoldcoast.com/what-age-do-children-start-school-on-the-gold-coast-qld

 

Cal x

 
 

Thank you very much.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/08/2022 at 07:53, Quoll said:

Ah, so you've moved interstate. She's still in an ok year for her Qld cohort but there will be others her age in the year above, for sure. If she's coping academically and socially and seems a bit out of place then have a chat with the school about moving her.  It's easier if she's in a composite class as then the year differences seem to disappear. If you're likely to move back to Victoria then  let her be. She's young  enough that it shouldn't be much of an issue to move her but bring oldest in the class can be a whole  lot better than being youngest in the class. When she gets to Uni there will be kids her age in her year from Vic, SA, and ACT and kids her age in the year above from NSW, Qld, WA and NT - it'll all come out in the wash - it's more about how she fits socially in her current cohort - if she has  no friends and is ahead of the current curriculum then move her and if she is likely to go back to UK then  definitely ask to move her. 

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may be inadvertently on-trend. It's quite fashionable to hold kids back a year now - especially if they are within a month or two of the cut-off. In Sydney it's much more common in the affluent areas, as holding them back a year means paying for an extra year of childcare fees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

√ó