WHV chippy looking for work

Hey, hoping to get some advice as I'm finding work over here to be a bit of a minefield. I'm a level 3 certified carpenter with 12+ years experience back in the UK, but I'm having trouble finding work. The first carpentry firm I worked for out here had me grinding concrete for weeks on end, then drilling metal for the remainder of my time there. I'm feeling quite disappointed as I'm encountering some really hostile attitudes toward English chippies out here. Last night I was invited over to a builders house to discuss a potential job, only to have him immediately tell me he has nothing for me, like the whole thing was just a big prank. I've been told by another potential employer, who was also an admitted methamphetamine user, that British guys aren't up to Australian standards and I'd likely struggle. So far I've worked in Melbourne and on stations in the outback, but now I'm in Cairns I'm finding it very unfriendly despite the apparent "desperation for chippies". Am I doing something wrong? I have a decent tool set up and my own transport, but it's been so hard. A lad I was travelling with has landed a great job in Airlie and is earning good money and having a great time. I'm a good carpenter, I have great references in Australia too, what can I do to not be mugged off and find decent work? 

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I'm new and I'm feeling quite desperate for some friendly advice. 

Thanks!

• 2 months later...