Vetassess electrican ( general ) practical

Joey190

Just completed my electrical practical test today and thought id share what was involved . As the vetassess website gives you a list a mile long on what to revise and it can scramble your brain if you havent been in a classroom for years . 

Once you have followed their instructions and completed a PES form etc you are given a date for your prac test . 

I did mine at kangan , the assessor was really nice . He was helpful and gave small hints on if he saw you making a minor mistake . 

So , we had to 

Follow a plan and wire up a 2 way lighting circuit in conduit using singles . 

Gives you measurments on the plan on how long to cut the conduit and where to mount the mounting blocks etc . 

Wire up 1 x socket outlet 

Install both circuits into a switchboard you have to mount . 

Select correct cable size for both circuits

Select correct rcbos 

Install a earth stake ( just mounted to the wall ) 

While you are doing your booth wiring the assessor will ask you to go to another booth and you have to do abit of motor control wiring. 

You have a chart with 5 symbols 

N O contact 

Start button

Stop button

Thermal overload

Coil 

You have to match the symbols to what it is .  

Then draw how you would wire a simple dol starter with the symbols all in a line . 

Then you have to wire the circuit using the push in lead things into makeshift start button / stop button etc . 

Then once he is happy you test see if it works . 

Then he flicks a fault in . Mine was a the normally open contact wasnt connected so when you pushed the start button it just pulsed and wouldnt hold in . 

Then we did Swp disconnect re connect ( watch youtube for that one ) 

ELECTIVES 

You have to choose 1 elective and i was scared of this one because out of the electives there wasnt one that i was completely clued up on . Only a few basics . 

I chose the data one because i pull data points for new houses etc . 

He literally sat me down and asked 3 questions , what the tool was called to make connections ( krone tool . I use to call it a bt pusher ) 

What a rj45 plug was 

And asked what cable i use . ( cat 5 / 6 / 6e ) 

And then that was it . No wiring or anything . 

Once all that was over we tested the circuit 

Cont main earth

Cont earth on light circ

Cont earth on socket 

IR on whole installation ( he put a fault in on this one , pretty obvious he had because he plugged a plug into the outlet and said keep that in then you do your IR for whole installation and record the reading . 

Then IR of your light circ

Then IR of socket 

( the ones you just wired so they are fine , they dont do anything to trip you up )

Then polarity of switches . 

Once that is done there is a 24 question multiple choice test . Dont worry about memerising every formula for power , ohms law , rms etc . Because it literally gives you them all on the last page of your book , and he points that out to you before you start . 

Other than that cant really tell you much else . Hope this helps 

Hi,

Thank you for sharing your Technical interview and practical exam experience.

I have some doubts about practical exam can you clear it.... 

On 05/08/2022 at 13:49, Joey190 said:

Just completed my electrical practical test today and thought id share what was involved . As the vetassess website gives you a list a mile long on what to revise and it can scramble your brain if you havent been in a classroom for years . 

Once you have followed their instructions and completed a PES form etc you are given a date for your prac test . 

I did mine at kangan , the assessor was really nice . He was helpful and gave small hints on if he saw you making a minor mistake . 

So , we had to 

Follow a plan and wire up a 2 way lighting circuit in conduit using singles . 

Gives you measurments on the plan on how long to cut the conduit and where to mount the mounting blocks etc . 

Wire up 1 x socket outlet 

Install both circuits into a switchboard you have to mount . 

Select correct cable size for both circuits

Select correct rcbos 

Install a earth stake ( just mounted to the wall ) 

While you are doing your booth wiring the assessor will ask you to go to another booth and you have to do abit of motor control wiring. 

You have a chart with 5 symbols 

N O contact 

Start button

Stop button

Thermal overload

Coil 

You have to match the symbols to what it is .  

Then draw how you would wire a simple dol starter with the symbols all in a line . 

Then you have to wire the circuit using the push in lead things into makeshift start button / stop button etc . 

Then once he is happy you test see if it works . 

Then he flicks a fault in . Mine was a the normally open contact wasnt connected so when you pushed the start button it just pulsed and wouldnt hold in . 

Then we did Swp disconnect re connect ( watch youtube for that one ) 

ELECTIVES 

You have to choose 1 elective and i was scared of this one because out of the electives there wasnt one that i was completely clued up on . Only a few basics . 

I chose the data one because i pull data points for new houses etc . 

He literally sat me down and asked 3 questions , what the tool was called to make connections ( krone tool . I use to call it a bt pusher ) 

What a rj45 plug was 

And asked what cable i use . ( cat 5 / 6 / 6e ) 

And then that was it . No wiring or anything . 

Once all that was over we tested the circuit 

Cont main earth

Cont earth on light circ

Cont earth on socket 

IR on whole installation ( he put a fault in on this one , pretty obvious he had because he plugged a plug into the outlet and said keep that in then you do your IR for whole installation and record the reading . 

Then IR of your light circ

Then IR of socket 

( the ones you just wired so they are fine , they dont do anything to trip you up )

Then polarity of switches . 

Once that is done there is a 24 question multiple choice test . Dont worry about memerising every formula for power , ohms law , rms etc . Because it literally gives you them all on the last page of your book , and he points that out to you before you start . 

Other than that cant really tell you much else . Hope this helps