News story about family on Temp Visa having to leave Oz

Sunshine80

I started a thread about this family but it hasn't been approved by the mods yet.

What a mess but if the employers kept going bust he should have tried to get another job with a different employer.  

When I see some of the 'dodgy' characters I've met over the years who seem to get PR and this family couldn't, it really makes me wonder about the whole immigration business.  

It's heartbreaking and you have to feel for them.

However it does backup many of the posts on here reminding people that temporary (or provisional) visas are just that and that the dream can end at anytime (even decades later) if you don't get that PR hurdle over and done with.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Toots said:

I started a thread about this family but it hasn't been approved by the mods yet.

What a mess but if the employers kept going bust he should have tried to get another job with a different employer.  

When I see some of the 'dodgy' characters I've met over the years who seem to get PR and this family couldn't, it really makes me wonder about the whole immigration business.  

Sorry Toots, didn’t realise you were starting thread.

How many times have we seen people post on here saying they are going on a Temp visa and planning to stay forever.

Rules change all the time.

I know someone that came here on Temp work visa and literally as soon as they arrived the max age changed for PR and they were no longer eligible if they had wanted PR.

I wonder at what point do you throw in the towel and return to UK

40 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

It's heartbreaking and you have to feel for them.

However it does backup many of the posts on here reminding people that temporary (or provisional) visas are just that and that the dream can end at anytime (even decades later) if you don't get that PR hurdle over and done with.

Yes, it a time bomb all the people here without a route to PR.  

4 minutes ago, Sunshine80 said:

Sorry Toots, didn’t realise you were starting thread.

How many times have we seen people post on here saying they are going on a Temp visa and planning to stay forever.

Rules change all the time.

I know someone that came here on Temp work visa and literally as soon as they arrived the max age changed for PR and they were no longer eligible if they had wanted PR.

I wonder at what point do you throw in the towel and return to UK

No worries @Sunshine80.  I posted in another area of the site.

There is a bit of exaggeration about how much it will cost to take their dog back to Scotland.  I think they said it would cost $35,000    .......................  more like $3,500.  

The wife has been working here for years too.  Can't really understand the whole visa thing.  Seems so unfair.

19 minutes ago, Toots said:

There is a bit of exaggeration about how much it will cost to take their dog back to Scotland.  I think they said it would cost $35,000    .......................  more like $3,500.  

The wife has been working here for years too.  Can't really understand the whole visa thing.  Seems so unfair.

As Ausvisitor says, it's sad for them but they can hardly complain.  They KNEW they were on temp visas and could be sent home any time. That's why we're always warning people not to come on a temp visa thinking they'll find a way to stay forever.  It happens sometimes but it is a gamble and people who bank everything on a gamble have only themselves to blame in the end.

The father even said that he KNEW that companies in his field were in the habit of folding to avoid paying warranties, so he KNEW his chances of an employer managing to sponsor him to stay were very slim.  Yet he just kept on signing up again and again.  I wonder why he never tried applying for PR in his own right -- wasn't he eligible?

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

Misleading headline: No one is being "deported" which is the forcible removal of a permanent resident (or certain Kiwis) and which requires a deportation order to be issued. If you are subject to a deportation order you are automatically arrested. 

Based on what is in the article, it appears they have overstayed their visas and been issued BVEs on the basis that they will 'voluntarily' leave Australia. Not the preferred outcome, but not the same thing by any stretch.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Toots said:

No worries @Sunshine80.  I posted in another area of the site.

Don't really understand this bit either

"He has nothing in Scotland and nowhere to live, with his elderly parents unable to cope with the family joining them while they wait for their visa to be approved."

What visa? Since when did UK citizens returning to Scotland need a visa?!

• Like 2

Certainly a shame for them.  No way is the dog going to cost them $35k to ship.  It states quarantine too and I’m sure there is no quarantine for pets arriving into the UK.  Perhaps it was a typo with an extra zero put on in error.  Feel for them but I guess rules are rules.  If you relax it for one, where does it end. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Don't really understand this bit either

"He has nothing in Scotland and nowhere to live, with his elderly parents unable to cope with the family joining them while they wait for their visa to be approved."

What visa? Since when did UK citizens returning to Scotland need a visa?!

Confusing wording in the whole report.  I thought he meant that he would wait in Scotland for his Australian visa to be approved.  Not very clear at all is it?

5 hours ago, Toots said:

Confusing wording in the whole report.  I thought he meant that he would wait in Scotland for his Australian visa to be approved.  Not very clear at all is it?

Yes I read it that way too, they can apply for a visa to come back, but only if they leave, and they have no home of jobs in Scotland while they do so.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, calNgary said:

No doubt a kick in the teeth for this family if they read the articles today about the Biloela family who have just been granted visa's. Lots of very unhappy comments on facebook media posts about it.

Cal x

I think the fact that the entire town of Biloela seemed to support the family plus heaps of media coverage may have helped them get their visas.  I wonder how many similar families/people will get the same outcome in similar circumstances.  🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, calNgary said:

No doubt a kick in the teeth for this family if they read the articles today about the Biloela family who have just been granted visa's. Lots of very unhappy comments on facebook media posts about it.

Cal x

I agree, on a personal level I am happy for Biloela family for their kids and maybe means the Green family (in article) have some hope.

But the Oz Govnt spent  a lot of money way trying to send the Biloela family back.

Was it something like $5 or $10 million ?  

And it looked like Biloela family may or may not have been candid with truth on their application.

Anyway, fingers crossed for the Green family 

• Like 2

***update***
The Greens have just appeared on current affair and we’re due to return to Scotland today.

They have have been granted a one month visa (extension?) to try and sort out their visa problems. So they are not flying to Scotland today!

RESULT!!!!!!

Edited by Sunshine80
  • Like 2