Your last meal....

pob

11 hours ago, pob said:

We will be moving to Sydney, but are in Brighton UK at the moment.

If you're going to Sydney there will be plenty of days during winter when you'll be glad of a pub with a fire as Sydney gets, cold, wet, windy days at that time of the year.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, pob said:

But that roaring log fire is there because it is bloody cold outside, windy and lashing down with rain, absolutly no fun on the walk back home.

But in Sydney, that's why they have the air conditioning.

I remember when we lived in Sydney and used to walk to our local pub for an evening in the summer.  We were always sticky and sweaty by the time we got there.  Then if you were unlucky, there would be a thunderplump while you were in the pub and you'd have to get an Uber home because it was raining so hard (the first time I saw Sydney rain, I thought it was a monsoon).  Actually it's debatable whether that's unlucky or not -- because if the rain didn't arrive, you wouldn't be able to sleep because it would stay so sticky all night.

It's swings and roundabouts IMO.

Edited by Marisawright

We have been here for over 7 years and miss culture rather than food so much. It is a good family pub, old historic house etc that we miss- even after all these years. 

we get gammon from pacdon - they do real gammon steaks, gammon joints, haggis etc.

they are near Echuca on the Murray vic/nsw but have suppliers all over the place. Pricey, but well worth it.

the pickled pork is pretty good done in a slow cooker also. We get it from coles.

we get some British stuff every year from Aldi round the queens birthday, lots jacobs club biscuits and other goodies.we also get frozen cod fish from there.

for sausages and bacon, best is British sausage company.

sadly, we still find the sandwich ham a bit naff, can’t get decent crumbed Yorkshire style ham anywhere.

most ‘English ham’ is wet and slimy, like the cheapest stuff from tesco.

we buy packs of bachelor dried peas to make our own mushy peas just like at home, we just get a load in from the several uk stores in Oz.

we only use one steeping tablet per pack, so we then use the spare steeping tablets with dried blue boiler peas (500g per two tablets) and they make great mushy peas.

Otherwise food is pretty much the same……

so for last meal…… I’d have a curry, a dansak, can’t get one here for love nor money! Preferably in a picturesque old historic pub/restaurant with your family around you.

• Like 1

Guest AltyMatt

i crave a meat and potato pie or a Gregg's pasty.

Suburban Woolies / Coles usually have a British food section with chocolates, soft drinks, tinned foods etc, and Aldi sometimes feature British food. Amazon have a wide range of British treats too.

9 hours ago, AltyMatt said:

I think this is more like what I was looking for.

I have eaten in fancy restaurants and the food was lovely, but when away from a country for awhile it isn't the best food that country has you will miss. It's the weird snacks, the day to day stuff you eat between meals just to fill a hole in your stomach.

So for lunch it is waitrose sausage rolls, davidstow cheddar cheese on toast, roast beef hula hoops, washed down with elderflower cordial.

Guest AltyMatt

Australia doesn't really do convenience food either. So I miss Marks & Spencers ready meals and Boots sandwiches.

Japan does these really well - they have a chain of convenience stores called Lawsons that have authentic triangle sandwich packs, ready meals, sweets, and alcohol.

On 07/08/2022 at 11:27, AltyMatt said:

Suburban Woolies / Coles usually have a British food section with chocolates, soft drinks, tinned foods etc, and Aldi sometimes feature British food. Amazon have a wide range of British treats too.

Meat and Potato pie is a killer for me. I never had one I didn't like in the UK and try as I may, I can't make my own to match. It would go well with the mushy peas I'm buying on amazon which are "chip shop recipe" unlike those sold by woolies and Coles and at $1.90 a tin I'm well stocked with them. Also getting my Bisto from Amazon at $6 unlike Coles and Woolies who have now upped their price from $6 three months ago to currently $8.50 although on special atm at $6.70

6 hours ago, Johndoe said:

Meat and Potato pie is a killer for me. I never had one I didn't like in the UK and try as I may, I can't make my own to match. It would go well with the mushy peas I'm buying on amazon which are "chip shop recipe" unlike those sold by woolies and Coles and at $1.90 a tin I'm well stocked with them. Also getting my Bisto from Amazon at $6 unlike Coles and Woolies who have now upped their price from $6 three months ago to currently $8.50 although on special atm at $6.70

My dad made the best meat and potato pies (cheese and onion ones too), he used to bake up a storm when he came to visit and fill the freezer.  I was the only one who liked the cheese pies so did give some away - dad became legendary

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It was a fry up!

In the local greasy spoon. It wasn't so much the food, but we had made friends with all the people in the cafe.

Our first meal in Australia was a macca's at the airport when we landed.

The first meal in Australia I cooked was kangeroo steak with a kale salad, which had so many root veggies in it I just put it in the pan after the roo and just wilted it with some soy sauce, roasted white sweet potatoe. Simple but yummy.