Kirstyesmith92

482 visa financial requirements

Hi all!

I have just been offered a job in Australia and will be undergoing the 482 visa process. I have seen some conflicting information on financial requirements needed and need to know if I need to transfer some money around. Does anyone know if I need bank statements with x amount in my account for the visa? If so, how much is it? 
Thank you in advance for any help! 

You do not need to show any personal financial information for a subclass 482 visa. 

Raul T Senise

Registered Migration Agent

MARN 0636699

www.ozimmigration.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

If Raul is saying you don't need any cash proof for a 482 then I'm sure that's right (he'd definitely know more than me there).

What I can say is don't underestimate how much the costs will be until that first pay check, whilst there isn't a requirement to show cash available, it's still a good idea to come over with 3 months worth of living expenses in your pocket to get you going and see you over the first few weeks when everyone will find a way to take a few dollars of the newbie.... 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Kirstyesmith92 said:

Hi all!

I have just been offered a job in Australia and will be undergoing the 482 visa process. I have seen some conflicting information on financial requirements needed and need to know if I need to transfer some money around. Does anyone know if I need bank statements with x amount in my account for the visa? 

No, you don't.  Congrats on the job offer.  

Do make sure you do your research on the 482.  A lot of employers present it as a "pathway to permanent residence" and it's not.  It's a short-term visa, designed to fill temporary gaps in the labour force.  There is the possibility that you might be able to apply for permanent residency IF the employer is still willing towards the end of the 482 and IF the rules haven't changed (they change every year).   Of course you may succeed, and we have members here who have succeeded and done very well--but they were the lucky ones.  Many are not.  It is a gamble.

If you are a singleton then go for it!  As Ausvisitor says, you'll need a fair bit of money to get yourself established, but it will be worth it for the adventure, even if you end up going home at the end. If you have a family to consider, then weigh up the risks very carefully.  We've seen many many families move to Oz on a 457 or 482 believing they're staying for good, only to find themselves back in the UK a few years later, back where they started but with half their life savings gone.  It can be a fabulous adventure for the family if you can afford it but not everyone can, so plan carefully.

Edited by Marisawright

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband granted UK spouse visa March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

My new novel, A Dance With Danger, is due out August 2022