Relocation agents WA

Geography87

Hi all,

I'm moving to Perth on a 491 in early/mid Sept. Currently have an expensive AirBnB booked for the first few weeks but would rather have a rental sorted before getting there and am looking into relocation agents in WA. I (foolishly) hadn't really budgeted for this and have been quite surprised by the high price tag some companies come with. This in mind, I can't really afford to pick a company that won't be able to give what I'm after (1-2 bed place, with utilises and internet set up for arrival). I have heard mixed experiences about Claymore Thistle and am considering them.

Any experiences (good and bad) with any companies would be much appreciated. I'm currently in a WhatsApp group with many others who are making their way to Perth/WA and finding a rental seems to be quite stressful at the moment.

Cheers!

Unable to make any recommendations I'm afraid as we didn't use one.  The majority of people usually do as you're doing (renting an AirBnB or holiday let) and then hunting for a rental.  If you have an idea of where you want to live you could join a facebook group for that suburb and ask if there are any lease breaks.  I don't think anything beats being able to view a house and a suburb yourself rather than relying on a third party who doesn't really know your personal preferences

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Geography87 said:

Hi all,

I'm moving to Perth on a 491 in early/mid Sept. Currently have an expensive AirBnB booked for the first few weeks but would rather have a rental sorted before getting there and am looking into relocation agents in WA. I (foolishly) hadn't really budgeted for this and have been quite surprised by the high price tag some companies come with.

The only people who hire relocation agents are executives, and it's usually their company that pays -- so yes, they are expensive. 

The majority of people do exactly what you've done -- book a AirBnB or a holiday flat for four weeks and look for a place themselves. There isn't a cheaper option, other than finding a cheaper holiday let (caravan?).  

9 hours ago, ali said:

Unable to make any recommendations I'm afraid as we didn't use one.  The majority of people usually do as you're doing (renting an AirBnB or holiday let) and then hunting for a rental.  If you have an idea of where you want to live you could join a facebook group for that suburb and ask if there are any lease breaks.  I don't think anything beats being able to view a house and a suburb yourself rather than relying on a third party who doesn't really know your personal preferences

Thanks for the suggestions. I agree nothing beats seeing it yourself. Just a bit worried about being stuck in an Airbnb for a long amount of time and not necessarily having a job lined up. A lot of people from my migration agency are using relocation services and I'd say most are glad they did. Seems heavily based on the specific reloction agent who is assigned to you. Tricky to navigate. 

I don't really think there is any substitute for doing the "hard yards" and looking for yourself once there.

Yes Airbnb isn't cheap but for 4-6 weeks it is probably comparable to the rental price on a property and the services of an agent to find the place for you.

The real problem with getting someone else to choose is they might pick a dog of a property and you are stuck with it for 12 months.

Also don't underestimate how long it will take to find a rental especially without a job contract, it will take at least 4 weeks before move in date (unless you are looking just for a room share property) so plan on a month in temp accom at least (we were 6 weeks and that was moving quickly according to everyone else I've spoken to)

• Like 1