Citizenship for Baby born in Australia - Wait time?

psuwara

The IMMI site doesn't make sense, I don't know what category we are in.

1. Father Australian Citizen

2. Mother Russian Citizen on a 309 VISA waiting for a 100 VISA approval.

3. Baby born in Australia 2021

Do we need to put in a citizenship application? What would the wait time be?

8 minutes ago, Parley said:

If Father was an Australian citizen before the child was born, then the child will be an Australian Citizen automatically at birth. No need to do anything.

But where do we get a Citizenship Certificate? I cannot find this information on IMMI anywhere...

• 1 month later...
On 18/07/2022 at 08:39, psuwara said:

The IMMI site doesn't make sense, I don't know what category we are in.

1. Father Australian Citizen

2. Mother Russian Citizen on a 309 VISA waiting for a 100 VISA approval.

3. Baby born in Australia 2021

Do we need to put in a citizenship application? What would the wait time be?

if either is a Australian passport holder, go to Auspost grab the form and apply straightaway. no need for citizenship certificate.

if both parents are PRs (not citizens) then you need to apply for a citizenship cert before applying for a passport.

On 12/09/2022 at 10:48, mikesmyth said:

if either is a Australian passport holder, go to Auspost grab the form and apply straightaway. no need for citizenship certificate.

if both parents are PRs (not citizens) then you need to apply for a citizenship cert before applying for a passport.

Will the birth certificate not be proof for a passport?

5 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Will the birth certificate not be proof for a passport?

Yes, actually this is correct. Along with my Australian Passport.

But we need a citizenship certificate for other reasons anyway... Proof of citizenship. So we'll have to do that.

Edited by psuwara

48 minutes ago, psuwara said:

Yes, actually this is correct. Along with my Australian Passport.

But we need a citizenship certificate for other reasons anyway... Proof of citizenship. So we'll have to do that.

Will the birth certificate not be proof of citizenship?

I only ask as we are both PR and had our daughter in January and I didn't think we would need anything else to prove citizenship for her.

18 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Will the birth certificate not be proof of citizenship?

I only ask as we are both PR and had our daughter in January and I didn't think we would need anything else to prove citizenship for her.

No, birth certificates alone are not enough to prove Australian citizenship. Children born here to parents on temp visas get an Australian birth certificate even though they're not entitled to citizenship, so having a birth certificate proves nothing.

You will firstly need to get an Australian Citizenship Certificate for your daughter to prove that she's a citizen, then you can get an Australian passport for her.

• Like 1

On 15/09/2022 at 11:52, rammygirl said:

Getting a proof of citizenship is pretty quick around two weeks then you can apply for a passport. This changed a while back you need to supply the certificate number on the passport application. 

A citizenship certificate is only required in some cases, e.g., when neither parent is an Australian citizen but one of them has PR.  If a child is born in Australia with an Australian citizen parent, then they won't need their own citizenship certificate to apply for an Australian passport.  You only need to supply their birth certificate plus one parent's proof of Australian citizenship.