Perth from Brisbane

DrDougster

We're moving across. In the words of The Pet Shop Boys "life is peaceful there". But, where exactly?

Having read the Inner West thread, we're looking at slightly different areas. We will both be working at Sir Charles Gairdner and we have a daughter who has just turned five and so is going into year 1. We are looking at St Hilda's and St Mary's, visiting in September. From a couple of days looking around I think Cottesloe, Nedlands, Claremont looked nice with perhaps Wembley Downs and Churchlands if we were to go for St Mary's. Dalkeith looks too spendy!

Is there good public transport down to the hospital from a little further North?

Is there something "wrong" with City Beach that is driving down the price of big houses with ocean views? I'd hazard a guess at drugs from the postings on here.

Any further advice a year on and in slightly different circumstances to the other thread?

If the areas you mentioned are in your budget then that's where I'd be looking, especially if you will be on call. Subiaco and Daglish are also close by and I've worked with lots of medical staff who lived there as they worked at KEMH and the old PMH.There are several private schools over in Clarement/Nedlands and the traffic is usually heavy at school drop-off and pick up time so something to bear in mind. I don't think that public transport to the hospital site is particularly good, everyone I know whose worked there has driven in.

I can't imagine there being a huge drug problem in City Beach, it's still considered a very expensive area but according to someone on here there is a drug problem in every street in Perth 😄

• Like 5

23 hours ago, DrDougster said:

We're moving across. In the words of The Pet Shop Boys "life is peaceful there". But, where exactly?

Having read the Inner West thread, we're looking at slightly different areas. We will both be working at Sir Charles Gairdner and we have a daughter who has just turned five and so is going into year 1. We are looking at St Hilda's and St Mary's, visiting in September. From a couple of days looking around I think Cottesloe, Nedlands, Claremont looked nice with perhaps Wembley Downs and Churchlands if we were to go for St Mary's. Dalkeith looks too spendy!

Is there good public transport down to the hospital from a little further North?

Is there something "wrong" with City Beach that is driving down the price of big houses with ocean views? I'd hazard a guess at drugs from the postings on here.

Any further advice a year on and in slightly different circumstances to the other thread?

Lived years ago in Nedlands, very close to Sir Charles Gardiner Hospital and it was pleasant enough. Younger at the time, so thought odd not the vibe of a area with a big university in its midst. 

Very close to river. Public transport good and not aware of drugs at the time, besides a bit of smoking of weed, which didn't bother me. 

Odd to mention City Beach. Speaking with a reputable real estate agent a couple of months ago, while complaining about my inner city area being full of meth, she responded by saying City Beach is full of the stuff as well (behind closed doors, of course, among the rich professional classes) It doesn't surprise me, but don't know the suburb enough to comment. What is clear is that a lot of people know what's going down, but no wiliness to do anything about it. 

City Beach experiences a very strong wind as well, especially if living near to the beach. It can be of putting in not being able to use outside space. 

I've been looking at houses in Perth for some months now to escape what is going down around me. Being a full bottle on the signs, I find it very hard to find anywhere comfortably free of this grub drug.

As for transport options further north, not sure. Most public transport is to and from the CBD. Unless bus or train passes through nominated suburb en route, it may not be feasible. I'd need to know what suburbs you were considering, to give a fuller answer.  

19 hours ago, Drumbeat said:

If the areas you mentioned are in your budget then that's where I'd be looking, especially if you will be on call. Subiaco and Daglish are also close by and I've worked with lots of medical staff who lived there as they worked at KEMH and the old PMH.There are several private schools over in Clarement/Nedlands and the traffic is usually heavy at school drop-off and pick up time so something to bear in mind. I don't think that public transport to the hospital site is particularly good, everyone I know whose worked there has driven in.

I can't imagine there being a huge drug problem in City Beach, it's still considered a very expensive area but according to someone on here there is a drug problem in every street in Perth 😄

Please don't patronize. Drug abuse is widespread and nothing to laugh about. A very expensive area has nothing to do with it. My area is expensive and ridden with it. 

• Haha 1

On 17/07/2022 at 07:38, DrDougster said:

City beach is beautiful. We lived there for a year and if you exclude that area for “drugs” then it’s hard to imagine anywhere that would be acceptable. Transport into the city is direct bus, or bus to train station then into city. Depending on where you are it’s about 40min on the bus, if you drive it it’s more like 20mins. As with any area, just check what the neighbours houses look like.

I hope you don’t mind me asking why you decided to move from Brisbane to Perth? I ask because we have toyed with the idea of going the other way so any insights you might have could be invaluable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Please don't patronize. Drug abuse is widespread and nothing to laugh about. A very expensive area has nothing to do with it. My area is expensive and ridden with it. 

Have you considered trying some drugs to make yourself more mellow, you seem to have the money?

35 minutes ago, beketamun said:

Have you considered trying some drugs to make yourself more mellow, you seem to have the money?

Are you offering? Which drugs exactly would you suggest?  Saying that plenty of shards for sale on various forums. Hardly difficult to buy or have delivered. 

Edited by Blue Flu

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

City beach is beautiful. We lived there for a year and if you exclude that area for “drugs” then it’s hard to imagine anywhere that would be acceptable. Transport into the city is direct bus, or bus to train station then into city. Depending on where you are it’s about 40min on the bus, if you drive it it’s more like 20mins. As with any area, just check what the neighbours houses look like.

I hope you don’t mind me asking why you decided to move from Brisbane to Perth? I ask because we have toyed with the idea of going the other way so any insights you might have could be invaluable.

It is close to impossible to check out neighbours houses, in the rich suburbs,  with out at least a few clues what to look for. These people tend to be professionals, as by me, keeping immaculate houses from the outside. A few hints would be little life, blinds usually drawn, children's play things, like trikes, trampolines, prams and toys outside giving a hint of family respectability. A few others things as well, which won't give away. 

It is only users , more in poorer suburbs that a night viewing more display going's on. 

15 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

It is close to impossible to check out neighbours houses, in the rich suburbs,  with out at least a few clues what to look for. These people tend to be professionals, as by me, keeping immaculate houses from the outside. A few hints would be little life, blinds usually drawn, children's play things, like trikes, trampolines, prams and toys outside giving a hint of family respectability. A few others things as well, which won't give away. 

It is only users , more in poorer suburbs that a night viewing more display going's on. 

Maybe a daft question but if they keep immaculate houses from the outside and it is not obvious what is the problem?  And it that bad why not move?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

I was more referring to other more obvious concerns you can observe with neighbours houses. In all honesty if people are so good at hiding drug use/production and it is completely invisible from the outside, doesn't impact the neighbourhood in any visible way and isn't associated with "users" lurking around, then why worry about it for the purposes of house purchase/rent? 

If the profile of drug manufacturers are quiet, polite professionals with a beautiful house, well maintained garden and children's toys outside, I hope I live near some of them next time I move. Anyway lets not derail this thread with more discussion about drugs being everywhere in every street in the world.

3 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I was more referring to other more obvious concerns you can observe with neighbours houses. In all honesty if people are so good at hiding drug use/production and it is completely invisible from the outside, doesn't impact the neighbourhood in any visible way and isn't associated with "users" lurking around, then why worry about it for the purposes of house purchase/rent? 

If the profile of drug manufacturers are quiet, polite professionals with a beautiful house, well maintained garden and children's toys outside, I hope I live near some of them next time I move. Anyway lets not derail this thread with more discussion about drugs being everywhere in every street in the world.

I have noted you appear to have a tolerance of what's going down? Why you ask? Quite obvious. Even though most neighbours have little if any contact, meth manufactures are very often wary of any perceived observation. Besides the obvious danger of the house exploding, does it really not concern you a street given offer to drug manufacture?  Not forgetting this will still attract some desperados, and as well mannered as those in the main that collect. Most likely deliver it themselves to a central point, if around me is anything to go by. 

18 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Maybe a daft question but if they keep immaculate houses from the outside and it is not obvious what is the problem?  And it that bad why not move?

Move to where exactly? I suppose a daft response would be lets all drop everything else and jump on the meth bandwagon and make, consume and sell to one another?  A real Iceland. You are probably on to something there, well a lot of Perth thinks so. 

3 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Move to where exactly? I suppose a daft response would be lets all drop everything else and jump on the meth bandwagon and make, consume and sell to one another?  A real Iceland. You are probably on to something there, well a lot of Perth thinks so. 

Pretty much any other street in a nice suburb?  I suggest you are quite unlucky to be impacted by this.  I have met no one else in my 9 months in Perth who has even mentioned the problem, let along said they are personally impacted in a nice suburb.

• Like 1

Can we not turn this thread into another meth thread and give the OP useful responses. Honestly if we’re labelling City Beach as an area to avoid due to drugs, then I’m not sure where will ever be good enough.

City beach is a beautiful suburb, close to lots of good things, with lovely houses and not a single issue while I lived there. It’s one of the safest suburbs I’ve ever lived in and people should not be put off areas that offer such a wonderful lifestyle, if they can afford them. The only criticism I’d think of for city beach is that it has less going on than neighbouring suburbs and is very quiet, but if you want quiet by the ocean and close to the city then what’s not to like?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Pretty much any other street in a nice suburb?  I suggest you are quite unlucky to be impacted by this.  I have met no one else in my 9 months in Perth who has even mentioned the problem, let along said they are personally impacted in a nice suburb.

Not quite. It took me many, many years to awake to what was happening, not just my street but area. Since as having a vested interest in the matter have found it to be everywhere. Those living around here don't speak about it either. Good family suburb being the usual theme. 

23 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Can we not turn this thread into another meth thread and give the OP useful responses. Honestly if we’re labelling City Beach as an area to avoid due to drugs, then I’m not sure where will ever be good enough.

City beach is a beautiful suburb, close to lots of good things, with lovely houses and not a single issue while I lived there. It’s one of the safest suburbs I’ve ever lived in and people should not be put off areas that offer such a wonderful lifestyle, if they can afford them. The only criticism I’d think of for city beach is that it has less going on than neighbouring suburbs and is very quiet, but if you want quiet by the ocean and close to the city then what’s not to like?

I don't recall saying avoidance. Please don't place terminology that I never wrote onto me. What I did state was a reputable Real Estate agent telling me about her suburb being City Beach , when I mentioned how ingrained it was in this area. Nothing to do with safety.  Lovely houses around me as well, if not quite up to City Beach price range. 

What's not to like. As mentioned the wind is near the beach. When friends rented there , many times we were unable to sit outside admiring the view having a BBQ. Probably quite impersonal. The cafe/restaurant scene has vastly improved over the years close to the beach, even if still a little limited. It's a suburb I expect you would exit and enter your house by car, (as are many, not picking on CB) but limited walkability scale as well as public transport. As I said I have no idea on a personal level with regards to meth there. But knowing better other beach side suburbs it would not surprise me. I suspect the entire picture is a useful response. Don't you? 

Never been to Brisbane but believe the city outranks Perth in vibe, but being so far from the beach would prove a negative to me. Perth doesn't get the humidity either. Nor the flooding. Probably besides that five Bob each way. I don't imagine too much difference, but Brisbane will prove better located for many. Perth being so remote. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

I don't recall saying avoidance. Please don't place terminology that I never wrote onto me. What I did state was a reputable Real Estate agent telling me about her suburb being City Beach , when I mentioned how ingrained it was in this area. Nothing to do with safety.  Lovely houses around me as well, if not quite up to City Beach price range. 

What's not to like. As mentioned the wind is near the beach. When friends rented there , many times we were unable to sit outside admiring the view having a BBQ. Probably quite impersonal. The cafe/restaurant scene has vastly improved over the years close to the beach, even if still a little limited. It's a suburb I expect you would exit and enter your house by car, (as are many, not picking on CB) but limited walkability scale as well as public transport. As I said I have no idea on a personal level with regards to meth there. But knowing better other beach side suburbs it would not surprise me. I suspect the entire picture is a useful response. Don't you? 

Some of this is helpful yes

Well That escalated quickly. Some of this useful, yes. I think we'll have a good look at City beach when we visit, with specific reference to trampolines in the garden. The reason I asked about it was that you seem to get a bit more house for your money there compared to more Southern suburbs.

From a professional point of view, I've not encountered a lot of meth users that hold down professional jobs and have immaculate gardens. Weed and blow, yes, meth not so much. As has been suggested though, a neighbour with an immaculate garden, who likes a party with little or no impact on their neighbour, is fine by me.

We're moving from Northern suburbs of Brisbane. I'd be entering and exiting home suburb on bike almost all the time unless doing the school run. I Think all the suburbs I mentioned are within jog home distance from SCGH too. The main decision regarding location is going to be the school we choose for our daughter.

The main reason for moving is work related rather than city.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DrDougster said:

Well That escalated quickly. Some of this useful, yes. I think we'll have a good look at City beach when we visit, with specific reference to trampolines in the garden. The reason I asked about it was that you seem to get a bit more house for your money there compared to more Southern suburbs.

From a professional point of view, I've not encountered a lot of meth users that hold down professional jobs and have immaculate gardens. Weed and blow, yes, meth not so much. As has been suggested though, a neighbour with an immaculate garden, who likes a party with little or no impact on their neighbour, is fine by me.

We're moving from Northern suburbs of Brisbane. I'd be entering and exiting home suburb on bike almost all the time unless doing the school run. I Think all the suburbs I mentioned are within jog home distance from SCGH too. The main decision regarding location is going to be the school we choose for our daughter.

The main reason for moving is work related rather than city.

Just to confirm I never mentioned users, even around me, (as I've no evidence of that) only manufacturers. I would suggest outside of the Real Estates comments, City Beach is as fine as any suburb in Perth and better than most. Oh and the trampolines need not be in the garden, but just as likely on the verge. (as swings) Further South Cottesloe, I think it is, appears to be going to put a charge on outside furniture on their property.  (trampolines, swings etc)Not a bad idea.