Can we move to Australia?

Jemma10

52 minutes ago, Jemma10 said:

My partner is a police constable in the UK, Im a dental nurse. He is 33 and I’m 36, would we meet any visa requirements? Im so confused going through all the occupations and codes etc…Any advice really welcome! 

Police Officers are rarely in a list of in-demand skills as their are so many onshore applicants. Depending on where he wants to work (which State/Territory or AFP) then he would need either permanent residency or citizenship first. As a dental nurse your chances are much higher, then he just goes on the application as your spouse.

Might be worth a chat with a registered agent to hwelp you see a way foreard.

Edited by Nemesis

5 hours ago, Jemma10 said:

Thank you for your response, I had thought of that but can find dental nurse on any of the skills lists 😭

It may not be on them anymore - best thing would be to run it past an agent and see if they have any suggestions.

8 hours ago, Jemma10 said:

My partner is a police constable in the UK, Im a dental nurse. He is 33 and I’m 36, would we meet any visa requirements? Im so confused going through all the occupations and codes etc…Any advice really welcome! 

One of you must have an occupation that's on the one of the Skilled Lists.  Then the other partner just gets included on that application.

If you can't find either of your occupations on the lists, then it's impossible to migrate, unless you retrain in another occupation.  Be aware that you need to retrain AND then get a few years'  experience in that occupation before you can even apply -- and by that time, several years in the future, you might find they've taken that occupation off the list, too!  The lists are constantly getting shorter, not longer, every year. 

That doesn't mean you shouldn't try. It just means you should choose an occupation you'll be happy to do in the UK, too, so you'll benefit whatever happens.

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

One of you must have an occupation that's on the one of the Skilled Lists.  Then the other partner just gets included on that application.

If you can't find either of your occupations on the lists, then it's impossible to migrate, unless you retrain in another occupation.  Be aware that you need to retrain AND then get a few years'  experience in that occupation before you can even apply -- and by that time, several years in the future, you might find they've taken that occupation off the list, too!  The lists are constantly getting shorter, not longer, every year. 

That doesn't mean you shouldn't try. It just means you should choose an occupation you'll be happy to do in the UK, too, so you'll benefit whatever happens.

I do wonder if this will be the case in the next few years given the high number of job vacancies and the resulting wage inflation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

When looking at the skills list be sure to expand your search a little - sometimes jobs are not called the same thing.  E.g. I cannot see Dental Nurse, but Dental Technician and Dental Hygienist are both there.  Maybe search for dental.

We had to do this years go when we moved as hubbys UK job title wasnt on the list, thankfully we had an agent who did all the cross matching for us.

An acquaintance i know here is a dental technician, for some reason they dont seem to call them nurses here (in QLD anyway) so you came up with a great point.

Cal x

• 1 month later...
On 15/07/2022 at 17:50, Jon the Hat said:

When looking at the skills list be sure to expand your search a little - sometimes jobs are not called the same thing.  E.g. I cannot see Dental Nurse, but Dental Technician and Dental Hygienist are both there.  Maybe search for dental.

Maybe so, but those jobs are much more technical and skilled than dental nurse. So you still need to be realistic