Australian citizenship application 2022 - Singapore Police Check required

sin.nitins

Dear members,

I was wondering if anyone had to undergo following situation and how it was tackled?

We are applying for Australian citizenship in July 2022 and due to our past stay in Singapore, we are required to attach penal clearance certificate from Singapore police force (SPF).

SPF's penal certificate procedure requires us to undergo an appeal process first. That needs an authority letter from Australian department of home affairs mentioning why they are asking for penal certificate. Once the appeal will be accepted by SPF, we'd be allowed to formally apply for their penal certificate.

Can any please suggest if they have seen or heard of the authority letter being issued by Australian dept. of home affairs in such matters? Who should we approach? We called the department's hotline for citizenship application and they had no idea.

Any advice or help will be much appreciated.

regards

My PC had expired when I applied. I would suggest submitting your application without one and you will receive an official letter with your reference numbers, etc, requesting you to submit one in order for them to proceed with your citizenship application. Mine was not for Singapore but I'm certain this letter would suffice for your requirements as described.

24 minutes ago, Betty B said:

p.s. request was received within days of submission. Was also sent a test date in the interim so it did not hold up my application at all.

p.p.s!! When you complete your application the system will work out that you need to submit a PC (based, presumably, on time spent in Singapore since receiving your PR). I suggest writing a letter describing exactly as you did above that you require a letter from Home Affairs requesting a PC in order to proceed with an application for the PC and upload your letter under the heading provided when you conclude your online application "CHARACTER- EVIDENCE OF (SINGAPORE)". This will hopefully make more sense once you get to upload your documents 🙂 Good luck!

6 hours ago, Betty B said:

p.p.s!! When you complete your application the system will work out that you need to submit a PC (based, presumably, on time spent in Singapore since receiving your PR). I suggest writing a letter describing exactly as you did above that you require a letter from Home Affairs requesting a PC in order to proceed with an application for the PC and upload your letter under the heading provided when you conclude your online application "CHARACTER- EVIDENCE OF (SINGAPORE)". This will hopefully make more sense once you get to upload your documents 🙂 Good luck!

Thanks.. Writing a letter and attaching while submission is indeed a good idea. We'd do that way. By the way, Singapore police force (SPF) website mentions that penal clearance can be obtained in alternate ways e.g. via a commissioner of Oath which we did as well by paying to a Singapore law firm. Although we wont use those letters since the formal SPF issued letter seems more credible.