Citizenship Application - Dilemma (Need advice) - possible movement outside Australia during processing

sin.nitins

Dear forum members,

Hope you are doing well. I was wondering if you have heard or seen a situation similar to this and was there any workaround?

I'm applying for my Australian citizenship in July 2022 by conferral. I have been in living in Sydney for past 4 and half years. I'm fully eligible to apply.

My employer (a multinational investment bank) is planning to move me to USA which will happen when my citizenship application will be in progress.

The department of home affairs website says that they won't approve an application if the location of applicant at the time of decision is outside Australia unless the applicant has met special resident requirements. I'm an ordinary permanent resident and applying by conferral. I don't meet special resident requirements.

I can ask my employer to delay my movement by 1 or two months. But they won't be able to delay it indefinitely after that. There is no premium or fast track processing for Australian citizenship applications either. So I'd need to wait for decision.

Can someone please suggest me the best way forward? What can I do? I don't want my citizenship application to be rejected nor I want to leave my current employer.

regards

Thanks.. What if I don't have a convincing reason to return back since my departure may be long-term?  Can I convince them with documentary evidence that I've paid tax in Australia, my superannuation is still invested here and I have multiple active bank accounts. 

1 hour ago, sin.nitins said:

Thanks.. What if I don't have a convincing reason to return back since my departure may be long-term?  Can I convince them with documentary evidence that I've paid tax in Australia, my superannuation is still invested here and I have multiple active bank accounts. 

If you never plan to return to Australia, then you don't need citizenship, so what is your problem?