Rental Property Hobart and surrounds

Russ1976

My wife and I, along with our two dogs, will be looking to rent a property for a month from early to mid October. Ideally with a secure garden, it needn’t be big, 1-2 bedrooms and close proximity to Hobart, no more than a 20 minute drive. We are relocating from the UK, and can provide references etc. Please DM if you have any property available.

49 minutes ago, Russ1976 said:

My wife and I, along with our two dogs, will be looking to rent a property for a month from early to mid October. Ideally with a secure garden, it needn’t be big, 1-2 bedrooms and close proximity to Hobart, no more than a 20 minute drive. We are relocating from the UK, and can provide references etc. Please DM if you have any property available.

we did airbnb, realistically best option for short term.

I'm sure you are aware the rental market in Hobart is crazy competitive, potentially 1 month might not be long enough to find somewhere, particularly if you have pets 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russ1976 said:

AirBnb or look at one of the House Swap websites.  20 minute drive covers a very wide area so you shouldn't have too much trouble, even with the current shortage

11 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

AirBnb or look at one of the House Swap websites.  20 minute drive covers a very wide area so you shouldn't have too much trouble, even with the current shortage

AirBnb won't be a problem but may need more than a month as Can1983 suggested.  Even here in Devonport there isn't much decent stuff for sale and the properties that are really worth looking at are over the top expensive.

When we came over we needed accomodation for 6 weeks before moving into our rental. We were perfect rental candidates, no specific location need, only one bed, no real budget constraint and no animals. We were looking in Sydney so not TAS but the issue around availability seems common everywhere right now.

Probably the most important question for you is you say 2 dogs, now 2 well behaved schitzu are very different to 2 boisterous full grown dobermans (you get the picture).I'm not sure anyone would be keen to rent a property in good condition for just a month to a family with 2 large dogs, for a year or longer with a good deposit then maybe but too much risk for a small rental return 

Guest AltyMatt

you might want to consider kennels for the dogs while finding a long term rental / purchase. There should be loads of options for kennels and it might open up a few more options for you

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Russ1976 said:

We have been fortunate in finding property in Cygnet for our initial arrival. Thank you for all replies.

Good stuff, lovely location we go there regularly.

It is nearly an hour out of Hobart but im sure you are aware of that from google maps

On 21/07/2022 at 02:23, can1983 said:

Good stuff, lovely location we go there regularly.

It is nearly an hour out of Hobart but im sure you are aware of that from google maps

Yes, we’re aware of the travel time. Longer term, we plan on finding a rental closer to Hobart for my work. 

19 hours ago, Russ1976 said:

Yes, we’re aware of the travel time. Longer term, we plan on finding a rental closer to Hobart for my work. 

Great, Sorry if my comment was obvious.

Everyone told us it would be impossible to find a rental when we arrived, we'd need to slip $200 in the application blah blah but our experience wasn;t too bad if we are honest as we got the first and only rental we applied for (but the rental we got was an oven in summer and an icebox in winter). 

good luck, when do you arrive October was it?

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Russ1976 said:

The rental we secured is fantastic. The location and surrounds are beautiful, Cygnet is a cracking place.

Yes, it is beautiful in the whole of that area.  You will also not have had the rain we've had on the north coast.  Some of the small towns on rivers are still recovering from flooding though not nearly as bad as the 2016 floods.

On 27/07/2022 at 15:17, Russ1976 said:

We arrive around October 21st, a couple of days before we pick our dogs up after their quarantine in Melbourne. 

Have you picked your dogs up yet?  Hope they are fit and well after the long trip and quarantine.

11 hours ago, Russ1976 said:

The rental we secured is fantastic. The location and surrounds are beautiful, Cygnet is a cracking place.

Glad you like it.  Sorry about the weather.  🙄   Although we haven't had the flooding rain of  northern Tassie  we've had hardly any sunshine at all this spring - it's the gloomiest I can remember.  At least we won't be worrying about bushfires for a while.  😀

14 hours ago, Toots said:

Have you picked your dogs up yet?  Hope they are fit and well after the long trip and quarantine.

We have, they arrived on Sunday, a couple of days after us. They were very relaxed and happy. I think we were more excited than they were when we picked them up. The whole process was managed superbly by PetAir, no problems at all.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Skani said:

Glad you like it.  Sorry about the weather.  🙄   Although we haven't had the flooding rain of  northern Tassie  we've had hardly any sunshine at all this spring - it's the gloomiest I can remember.  At least we won't be worrying about bushfires for a while.  😀

I think you forget we travelled from the UK! Seriously though, the weather is no bother for us, it certainly doesn’t detract from a beautiful area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Russ1976 said:

I think you forget we travelled from the UK! Seriously though, the weather is no bother for us, it certainly doesn’t detract from a beautiful area.

No - just didn't want to use the common Aussie greeting "Suppose it reminds you of home?"  😏

• Like 1